Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Karthik N <ka...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/02 03:41:46 UTC

Re: Component won't remember value

you are setting the searchText on the Result page and not on the
SearchComponent in the result page.

since you have the searchText on the Result page you need to now "transfer"
it to the SearchComponent in the result page.

you can consider setting the searchText of the SearchComponent in the
pageBeginRender method of Result.java

On 10/31/06, Gurps <g...@gurpal.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Result.java
> --------------------
> package uk.co.gd.dao;
>
> import org.apache.tapestry.html.BasePage;
>
> public abstract class Result extends BasePage {
>         public abstract void setSearchText(String searchText);
> }
>

> Result.page
> ----------------------
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE page-specification PUBLIC "-//Apache Software
> Foundation//Tapestry
> Specification 4.0//EN"
> "http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/dtd/Tapestry_4_0.dtd">
>
> <page-specification class="uk.co.gd.dao.Result">
>         <component id="searchComponent" type="SearchComponent" />
> </page-specification>
>

> Result.html
> --------------------
> you entered: <span jwcid="searchComponent" />
>

> SearchComponent.java
> ---------------------------------
> package uk.co.gd.dao;
>
> import org.apache.tapestry.BaseComponent;
> import org.apache.tapestry.IPage;
> import org.apache.tapestry.IRequestCycle;
> import org.apache.tapestry.annotations.InitialValue;
> import org.apache.tapestry.annotations.InjectPage;
>
> public abstract class SearchComponent extends BaseComponent {
>
>         @InjectPage("Result")
>         public abstract Result getResultPage();
>
>         @InitialValue("literal:")
>         public abstract String getSearchText();
>
>         public IPage onOk(IRequestCycle cycle) {
>                 System.out.println(new java.util.Date() + ": over here
> SearchComponent: "
> + getSearchText());
>
>                 if (cycle.isRewinding())
>                         System.out.println(new java.util.Date() + ": over
> here SearchComponent:
> rewinding");
>                 else
>                         System.out.println(new java.util.Date() + ": over
> here SearchComponent:
> not rewinding");
>
>                 Result resultPage = getResultPage();
>                 resultPage.setSearchText(getSearchText());
>                 return resultPage;
>         }
> }
>

> SearchComponent.jwc
> --------------------------------
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE component-specification PUBLIC "-//Apache Software
> Foundation//Tapestry Specification 4.0//EN"
> "http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/dtd/Tapestry_4_0.dtd">
>
> <component-specification class="uk.co.gd.dao.SearchComponent">
>
>         <component id="searchForm" type="Form">
>                 <binding name="listener" value="listener:onOk" />
>         </component>
>
>         <component id="searchText" type="TextField">
>                 <binding name="value" value="searchText" />
>         </component>
>
> </component-specification>
>

> SearchComponent.html
> --------------------------------
>                 <form jwcid="searchForm" style="display: inline">
>                         <input type="text" size="20" jwcid="searchText" />
>                         <input type="submit" style="background-color:

Thanks, Karthik

Re: Component won't remember value

Posted by Gurps <g...@gurpal.co.uk>.
I did some more experimenting and ended up using a Border component. However,
how do I set the value of something that is in a border? I tried treating it
like any other component eg:

((Border) getBorder()).setSearchText(getSearchText())

but it didn't work. I think the Border component is treated a little
differently to vanilla components?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
See, it's two different instances of the same component. What you are
looking for is something almost akin to a static field.

The "request scope" variable is tempting in this specific use case, but
troubling in most others. It brings with it all the ugliness of naming
coincidences and such from the JSP world.

The Tapestry equivalent of this would be an ASO (application state object)
that was stored in the request, transiently. Then different components (or
different instances of the same component) could inject the ASO.  This is
not built into Tapestry, but defining an ASO scope of request is just a few
lines of work (the trick is the RIGHT lines, of course).

If you look at the code:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tapestry/tapestry4/tags/4.0.2/framework/src/java/org/apache/tapestry/engine/state/SessionScopeManager.java

You can see how you could easily build a version that read and updated keys
in the WebRequest rather than the WebSession.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.
Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry
Creator, Apache HiveMind