Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com> on 2008/06/20 18:22:54 UTC

SVN URL

We're not using this yet, but for future reference, the url is
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jsecurity

We'll switch over to it as soon as we get this next release out...

Cheers,

Les

Re: SVN URL

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Jeremy Haile wrote:
> Good points Emmanuel,
>
> I think we should:
> 1) Release the current version as is, as soon as we finish
> testing/bugfixing
> 2) Branch the current release in case any minor bugfixes are needed
> 3) Move all code to the ASF SVN repo.  Old repo is abandoned.
> 4) After branching, immediately migrate the trunk to use ASF headers,
> packages, naming, etc.
> 5) Any bugfix releases come from the branch.  Next release comes from
> the ASF, trunk version.

6) Update the Jsecurity.org web site to ref the Apache Jsecurity
downloads, JIRA, ML etc ... :)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: SVN URL

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Good points Emmanuel,

I think we should:
1) Release the current version as is, as soon as we finish testing/
bugfixing
2) Branch the current release in case any minor bugfixes are needed
3) Move all code to the ASF SVN repo.  Old repo is abandoned.
4) After branching, immediately migrate the trunk to use ASF headers,
packages, naming, etc.
5) Any bugfix releases come from the branch.  Next release comes from
the ASF, trunk version.

Jeremy

Re: SVN URL

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Jeremy Haile wrote:
> We want to get the next release out ASAP and have already released
> beta versions of this release.  To release under the incubator, we'd
> need to update package names, etc. which although we definitely need
> to do this soon, we want to make sure we have enough time to properly
> QA the release after making such an extensive change.

> So for now, we'd like to get the current release finalized and out the
> door, then make the packaging changes and any other changes needed to
> migrate to the incubator.  After enough time to QA those changes, the
> subsequent release would go out under the incubator with new packages,
> jar names, etc.
On the other side, if you release outside, you will have bugs to fix,
and it will take time. It will lead to another release, and the same
question : "do we release inside or outside" will raise. In any case,
you may have 2 code bases to maintain...

Unless you release outside, and immediately migrate the code into the
incubator as is, and change the packages names et all in the incubator.

Anyway, the next release after this one will be done under the ASF
brand, so better move as fast as possible, doing the change on the ASF
svn repo, as you may find some helpful people who will give you an hand
for adding the ASF headers, etc...

wdyt ?

> Jeremy
>

> On Jun 24, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>> No thoughts?
>> Nothing forbid JSecurity to be released under Incubator _and_ under
>> the JSecurity current place at the same time ? I guess that the
>> JSecurity team would like their current users to be able to get the
>> latest version without having to switch to the ASF incubator (maybe
>> they are simply not aware that JSciruty is being incubating ?)
>>
>> Except that it will generate more work ...
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Alan

>> --
>> --
>> cordialement, regards,
>> Emmanuel Lécharny
>> www.iktek.com
>> directory.apache.org

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: SVN URL

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Yes, you are correct.

Re: SVN URL

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: SVN URL

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: SVN URL

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: SVN URL

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> No thoughts?
Nothing forbid JSecurity to be released under Incubator _and_ under the
JSecurity current place at the same time ? I guess that the JSecurity
team would like their current users to be able to get the latest version
without having to switch to the ASF incubator (maybe they are simply not
aware that JSciruty is being incubating ?)

Except that it will generate more work ...

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Jun 20, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> IMHO, it would be great if the release went out under the incubator.
>> WDYT?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>
>> On Jun 20, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
>>
>>> We're not using this yet, but for future reference, the url is
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jsecurity
>>>
>>> We'll switch over to it as soon as we get this next release out...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Les

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: SVN URL

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
IIRC the working assumption is that the release will still use the old
package names, and if that's still true, I'd think that release
outside the incubator would be better. To me, release from the Apache
incubator would use the org.apache package names.

Craig

On Jun 24, 2008, at 7:58 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> No thoughts?
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Jun 20, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> IMHO, it would be great if the release went out under the
>> incubator.  WDYT?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>
>> On Jun 20, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
>>
>>> We're not using this yet, but for future reference, the url is
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jsecurity
>>>
>>> We'll switch over to it as soon as we get this next release out...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Les

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com