Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Merve Temizer <me...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/23 16:55:41 UTC

Duplicated dependency in repository

Hello,
I am new to maven.
There is a project called Apache James, it has sub modules.
Both the root project and sub modules have pom.xml s.
When i delete all the repositories in my /home/.m2/repository and run one
sub module's pom.xml, i get duplicated dependencies.

Here is pom.xml in root of James:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/james-server-3.0-beta4/pom.xml

Here is sub module container-spring's pom.xml:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/james-server-3.0-beta4/container-spring/pom.xml

Then i have duplicated class error.

What should i do, can you advise something?

Also i require an advise about what to read why maven acts like this.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Duplicated dependency in repository

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Then i have duplicated class error.
>
> What should i do, can you advise something?
>
> Also i require an advise about what to read why maven acts like this.

Probably you need to ask this question on the Apache James list, and
get their advice about what to do at this point, unless there is a
James expert here of course.

We can tell you all about Maven here but we know *nothing* about how
Apache James works, how its source code is organized, why they would
put the same class file in multiple modules/artifacts, etc. Surely
this is intentional and you simply do not understand some use case
they have in mind so you are missing some required configuration.

Wayne

Re: Duplicated dependency in repository

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Your level of detail in the description of what you are doing is so
small that everyone is trying to guess about what is happening.

1) Tell us why you are building James at all. It is not something that
people outside the James project team would ever do.

2) What do you mean by "causes duplicate jars". Do the jars have the
same name? Where are they coming from? Do they have the same content?

3) What jars are duplicated and where are they showing up? What
difference does it make to you that you have duplicates?

As was suggested, you will probably get more help on the James dev list
if you are really trying to build or extend James.

 From what you are providing as information, it is almost impossible to
know what you are doing wrong.

Ron

On 24/09/2012 10:45 AM, Merve Temizer wrote:
> Is there something in my question that tells you that i try to download
> modules one by one?
>
> I download everything but try to run pom s individually because i want to
> learn what the ugly thing causes duplicated jars.
>
> 2012/9/24 Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>> There is a project called Apache James, it has sub modules.
>>> Both the root project and sub modules have pom.xml s.
>>> When i delete all the repositories in my /home/.m2/repository and run one
>>> sub module's pom.xml, i get duplicated dependencies.
>>>
>>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/**asf/james/server/tags/james-**
>>> server-3.0-beta4/pom.xml<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/james-server-3.0-beta4/pom.xml>
>>>
>> It looks like you didn't realize that the project james contains several
>> sub module (Maven term: multi-module build) which is represented by the
>> folder structure of the project....
>>
>> You have to checkout the full source tree from this location.
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/**asf/james/server/tags/james-**
>> server-3.0-beta4<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/james-server-3.0-beta4>
>>
>> and this is usuall put under a folder let us call it james:
>>
>> Inside that you will find many sub folders etc.
>>
>> To compile and install the project you simply call from the root folder
>> (james)
>>
>> mvn install
>>
>> nothing more... There is no need to call every sub module separately this
>> is handled already by Maven.
>>
>> Furthermore the question is why you'd like to build from sources instead
>> of using dependencies ...cause all this modules are already in maven
>> central (http://search.maven.org/#**search|ga|1|g%3A%22org.apache.**
>> james%22%20AND%20v%3A%223.0-**beta4%22<http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.apache.james%22%20AND%20v%3A%223.0-beta4%22>)
>> available..
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Karl-Heinz Marbaise
>> --
>> SoftwareEntwicklung Beratung Schulung    Tel.: +49 (0) 2405 / 415 893
>> Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl-Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
>> Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
>> 52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc