Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Thomas Hommers <th...@ebalu.com> on 2012/06/21 15:35:59 UTC

couchdb startup parameters

Hi,

I am investigating a problem that my couchDB (1.2.0 on Debian Squeeze build with build-couchdb) is constantly restarting.

Along the way I found that it's started with the following parameters. Are there resources anywhere what they mean, or could somebody explain?

-noshell -noinput -os_mon start_memsup false start_cpu_sup false disk_space_check_interval 1 disk_almost_full_threshold 1 -sasl errlog_type error

Thanks.
Thomas

Re: couchdb startup parameters

Posted by CGS <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The options are Erlang specific. Here are some short descriptions (they are
pretty much self-explanatory):

1. Erlang option "-noshell" specifies that no shell is attached to the
CouchDB application.
2. Erlang option "-noinput" specifies that once started, you cannot
interact with the application but only by the means of its design and
purpose.
3. Erlang option "-os_mon" specifies usage of operating system monitor for
hardware.
4. OS monitor option "start_memsup" refers to RAM usage supervision.
5. OS monitor option "start_cpu_sup" refers to CPU usage supervision.
6. OS monitor option "disk_space_check_interval" specifies how often the
harddisk must be polled for its space usage (in minutes).
7. OS monitor "disk_almost_full_threshold" rings the alarm when a certain
HDD usage threshold has been reached.
8. Erlang option "-sasl errlog_type error" specifies usage of SASL
(Simple Authentication and Security Layer) logging type set to error
(meaning, it will report only when errors will appear).

More info at:

1.
http://www.erlang.org/documentation/doc-5.1/lib/os_mon-1.5.0/doc/html/os_mon.html
2. http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html

CGS

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 21 June 2012 15:35, Thomas Hommers <th...@ebalu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am investigating a problem that my couchDB (1.2.0 on Debian Squeeze build with build-couchdb) is constantly restarting.
>
> Along the way I found that it's started with the following parameters. Are there resources anywhere what they mean, or could somebody explain?
>
> -noshell -noinput -os_mon start_memsup false start_cpu_sup false disk_space_check_interval 1 disk_almost_full_threshold 1 -sasl errlog_type error
>
> Thanks.
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

It's all erlang gobbledegook. Typically by the time you know what they
are and where to find them, you won't need to know where to look in
the first place.

-noshell & -noinput prevent you from interacting with the erlang console
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html

-os_mon are all parameters about whether to start up a supervisor
hierarchy to monitor memory, cpu, disk etc in the vm and/or OS.
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/os_mon_app.html

For these types of things I like to run erlang interactively (dump the
-noshell -noinput crap) and launch couchdb -i, if thats on debian, and
pray for enlightenment when the error messages come past again.

A+
Dave