Posted to bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com> on 2008/07/05 17:53:40 UTC

Making the project successful

Hi everybody,

In the January board report it was noted that project "BlueSky" is
going into incubation.

Yet I failed to find any reports about it since then and It isn't
linked from the incubator website.
New projects need to report to the PMC for the first three months and
then every three month.

It is making things much better understandable if you start reading
all the information there is about incubation on the incubator's
website.

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/bluesky.html is online and
announces the releases of various subprojects this year. As these
releases don't seem to be done from the ASF, where can they be found?

It seems to me that the project could benefit from more than the two
mentors it currently has. Incubator best practice requires at least 3.
I propose you go to general@incubator.apache.org or contact candidates directly.

I also note that there is no active dicussion on the mailing lists. To
attract other developers to the project, which is vital to become a
proper and diverse ASF open source project, you need to be working in
the open as much as possible.

I suggest you move over all your internal discussion over to the dev
list and link your project from the main incubator website so people
can find it.

What do you think?

Good luck,

  Bernd

Re: Making the project successful

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:06 AM, chen hecky <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to answer some question as "I understand that the source code is not
> currently in Apache repository. Where can it be accessed publicly instead?
> Is it still closed source?". Firstly, our source code is opened. It has been
> thus and will continue to be so.
> Secondly, we don't upload code until now because that every source code to
> been uploaded to  Apache must be LGPL.

No. Actually, all code in our repository must be under the Apache
Software License. ASL and GPL have some major differences.

> But some parts of our source code
> call some GPL library. So we must change these parts to be LGPL befor
> uploaded. We are just to do this work try our best.

You can actually call GPL libraries. But you cannot put those
libraries in our repository.

> Lastly, you can download the source code(GPL, not LGPL) from this website:
> http://202.117.16.176

Thanks for the pointer.

Posted by chen hecky <he...@gmail.com>.
I want to answer some question as "I understand that the source code is not
currently in Apache repository. Where can it be accessed publicly instead?
Is it still closed source?". Firstly, our source code is opened. It has been
thus and will continue to be so.
Secondly, we don't upload code until now because that every source code to
been uploaded to  Apache must be LGPL. But some parts of our source code

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Shan Jiang <da...@gmail.com>.
Dear Bernd,
    Your suggestions about "BlueSky ASF Project" are very significative for
us, and thanks a lot for your guide. We shall start  doing something to make
up for the deficiency of "BlueSky ASF Project" according to your
suggestions. Detailed schemes list in email below.

    Best Regards

    Shan Jiang

2008/7/6, Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>:

> Hi everybody,
>
> In the January board report it was noted that project "BlueSky" is
> going into incubation.
>
> Yet I failed to find any reports about it since then and It isn't
> linked from the incubator website.
> New projects need to report to the PMC for the first three months and
> then every three month.

It is making things much better understandable if you start reading
all the information there is about incubation on the incubator's
website.

to Bill or Bernd : I have some questions about this report Bernd mentioned.
What is the content of the report? Is there any report form for the report?
Is there some referrences of other project in ASF Incubator for us?

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/bluesky.html is online and
announces the releases of various subprojects this year. As these
releases don't seem to be done from the ASF, where can they be found?

to Bernd and Bill: BlueSky Dev. Team try to commit all source code files of
these releases to Apache SVN in ten days. It take more time to remove or
substitute the GPL code in the original programme of BlueSky.

It seems to me that the project could benefit from more than the two
mentors it currently has. Incubator best practice requires at least 3.
I propose you go to general@incubator.apache.org or contact candidates
directly.

to Bernd: BlueSky ASF Project has three mentors now: Bill Stoddard, J Aaron
Farr, Niclas Hedhman.

I also note that there is no active dicussion on the mailing lists. To
attract other developers to the project, which is vital to become a
proper and diverse ASF open source project, you need to be working in
the open as much as possible.

I suggest you move over all your internal discussion over to the dev
list and link your project from the main incubator website so people
can find it.

to Bernd & Bill: Dev. Team shall submit several significant or interesting
dicussions on the mailing lists, and  the work and status about these
dicussions  will be listed in main incubator website. One question to Bill: