Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> on 2005/01/28 12:14:44 UTC

Cannot configure (was: Re: compiling python swig support on solaris8: APR_INT64_T_FMT?)

Hi,

I'd like to try a patch for Ruby SWIG-based bindings, which is not yet
accepted into the repository.
However, './configure --prefix=$HOME/tmp' fails in the trunk tree in the
following conditions.

* with SWIG 1.3.21, at revisions > 12557
* with SWIG 1.3.24, at revisions > 12717

Output messages are as follows.

  configure: Enabled swig binding: perl
  configure: Enabled swig binding: python
  configure: Enabled swig binding: java
  checking for swig... /home/nori1/bin/swig
  checking swig version... 1.3.24
  checking for swig library directory... /home/nori1/share/swig/1.3.24
  configure: Configuring python swig binding
  checking if swig needs -L for its libraries... -L/home/nori1/share/swig
  checking for Python includes... Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/build/get-py-info.py", line 13, in ?
      from distutils import sysconfig
  ImportError: No module named distutils

  checking for compiling Python extensions... Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/build/get-py-info.py", line 13, in ?
      from distutils import sysconfig
  ImportError: No module named distutils

  checking for linking Python extensions... Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/build/get-py-info.py", line 13, in ?
      from distutils import sysconfig
  ImportError: No module named distutils

  checking for linking Python libraries... Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/build/get-py-info.py", line 13, in ?
      from distutils import sysconfig
  ImportError: No module named distutils

  checking for linking Python extensions... Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/build/get-py-info.py", line 13, in ?
      from distutils import sysconfig
  ImportError: No module named distutils

  checking for linking Python libraries... Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/build/get-py-info.py", line 13, in ?
      from distutils import sysconfig
  ImportError: No module named distutils

  checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string...
  configure: error: failed to recognize APR_INT64_T_FMT on this platform

It seems APR_INT64_T_FMT is not recognized.
In my apr.h, however, following lines exist:

  /* And APR_INT64_T_FMT */
  #define APR_INT64_T_FMT "lld"
  #define APR_INT64_T_FMT_LEN 3

My environment is as follows:

* OS: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r4
* kernel: 2.4.23

Does anyone know what is wrong?

> >> The code in build/ac-macros/swig.m4 is failing to recognise your
> >> system's APR_INT64_T_FMT.  swig.m4 recognises "d", "ld" and "lld", but
> >> looking at APR's configure.in it appears that it can also generate
> >> "Ld" and "qq".  What is the value of APR_INT64_T_FMT in your system's
> >> apr.h header file?
> >
> > /* And APR_INT64_T_FMT */
> > #define APR_INT64_T_FMT "lld"
> > #define APR_INT64_T_FMT_LEN 3
>
> That should be OK, it's "lld" on my Linux box as well.  The swig.m4
> code runs the C preprocessor on a test file and then runs grep on the
> output file, it appears that either the cpp or the grep is failing.

Is this problem resolved, solo turn?

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

> Is that two spaces between "lld" and EnDeNd?  If so that's the cause
> of the problem.  Which version of gcc are you using?
>
> I think the INT64 stuff is not gcc-2.95 compatible:

I'm using gcc 2.95.4.
I didn't notice the double space until pointed out.

> Assuming that is the problem, try using r12872.  You will need to
> rerun autogen.sh to rebuild the configure script.

Succeeded in running './configure'.
The controversial log is:

  configure:11934: checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string
  configure:11985: result: L

Thank you very much for spending considerable time on this problem.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:

>   nori1[9:21]%  gcc -E -I /home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include file.c | tail -1
>   MaTcHtHiS "lld"  EnDeNd

Is that two spaces between "lld" and EnDeNd?  If so that's the cause
of the problem.  Which version of gcc are you using?

I think the INT64 stuff is not gcc-2.95 compatible:

$ cat z.c
#define foo "xxx"
X foo X
$ gcc-2.95 -E z.c | tail -1
X "xxx"  X
$ gcc-3.4 -E z.c | tail -1
X "xxx" X

--
Philip Martin

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

From: Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Cannot configure
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:02:27 +0000

> >> and you can run the failing command by hand, something like:
> >>
> >> $ gcc -E -I /home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include file.c | grep 'MaTcHtHiS "lld" EnDeNd'
> >>
> >> It's expected to result in one line of output:
> >>
> >> MaTcHtHiS "lld" EnDeNd
> >
> > But this manual operation also fails; no line in output.
>
> It must be picking up apr.h via that -I path, since adding the -I made
> the "not found" error go away.  You can confirm that by running
>
> $ gcc -E -H -I /home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include file.c 2>&1 > /dev/null | grep apr.h
>
> which should print:
>
> /home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h

Hmm, I see...

  nori1[9:21]%  gcc -E -H -I /home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include file.c 2>&1 > /dev/null|grep apr.h
  /home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h
  # 1 "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h" 1
  # 63 "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h"
  # 112 "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h" 2
  # 116 "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h" 2
  # 120 "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h" 2
  # 124 "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h" 2
  # 135 "/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h" 2

> Does that header file define APR_INT64_T_FMT?  What does:
>
> $ gcc -E -I /home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include file.c | tail -1
>
> show?

Yes, it does define.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

From: Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:33:40 +0000

> >   checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string... CPPFLAGS:   -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE  -I/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include
>
> Print $CPP, it should be something like "gcc -E".

Yes, like this:

  CPP: gcc -E

> >   configure: error: failed to recognize APR_INT64_T_FMT on this platform
> >
> > The former is the same, but the latter is different.
> > There is one '-I'; in $CPPFLAGS an -I is included until the last.
> > So -I is always present, but APR_INT64_T_FMT is not detected.
>
> Does config.log still report "apr.h: No such file or directory"?

Sorry for forgetting to report about it.
config.log do not report any more.

  configure:11844: checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string
  configure:11897: result:
  configure:11901: error: failed to recognize APR_INT64_T_FMT on this platform

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

From: Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:59:41 +0000

> > Output values, $apr_config and $SVN_APR_INCLUDES, are proper.
> > apr-util works in this stage and it is consistent to other messages around.
> > But after a while, $SVN_APR_INCLUDES gets missed, -I field absent, apr.h
> > undetectable, and APR_INT64_T_FMT unrecognized...?
> > What happens during thousands of lines?
>
> I don't know what happens.  SVN_APR_INCLUDES doesn't occur very often
> in the script and doesn't appear to ever get modified once it is set,
> but I'm not an expert on shell programming so perhaps I missed
> something.
>
> You could try printing $SVN_APR_INCLUDES at the place you printed
> $CPPFLAGS, just to confirm it is still set.  You could also print
> $ac_cpp to make sure it still uses $CPPFLAGS.

Sorry, I noticed I'd made a little bit absurd mistake.
I've used 'configure' at r12557, which was followed by r12565.
It is because, before the first post, I tried running './configure' at
many revisions to know what revisions and what SWIG versions are problematic.

However, the controversial error occurs and APR_SVN_INCLUDES do not
appear in config.log at both revisions.

At r12565 (or after that), I got a following result:

  checking APR version... 0.9.6
  apr_config: ./apr/apr-config
  SVN_APR_INCLUDES:  -I/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include
  configure: Apache Portable Runtime Utility (APRUTIL) library configuration

and

  checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string... CPPFLAGS:   -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE  -I/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include

  configure: error: failed to recognize APR_INT64_T_FMT on this platform

The former is the same, but the latter is different.
There is one '-I'; in $CPPFLAGS an -I is included until the last.
So -I is always present, but APR_INT64_T_FMT is not detected.

> If SVN_APR_INCLUDES is getting reset then I suppose you have to print
> it at various places through the script to find out where it is
> getting changed.

So, SVN_APR_INCLUDES do not get reset. I'm very sorry...

> I guess the other possibility is that it is some sort of bug in the
> shell?  Are you using bash as your /bin/sh?

Yes. /bin/sh is a symlink to bash in my system.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

From: Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:56:40 +0000

> > CPPFLAGS:   -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE
> >
> > Hmm..., Only -D's are seen.
>
> The absence of -I fields explains why the INT64 stuff fails.  I don't
> know why they are missing but I guess it's related to the absence of
> SVN_APR_INCLUDES in config.log.  I don't know why it fails for you :-(
> Is there something odd or unusual about your system?  Any odd
> filesystems, permissions, shell, or environment variables?

Thanks for your polite replies, but I have no clue...
My system is not so much different from those used by others, I believe.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

From: Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:41:01 +0000

> >> Is there a value for SVN_APR_INCLUDES in config.log?
> >
> > No...
>
> I don't understand that.  It's present on my machine if I make
> configure fail, I wonder why it's not present on your machine?
>
> >   configure:3034: result: 0.9.5
> >   configure:3378: result: 0.9.6
>
> That also looks a bit odd, apr and aprutil have different version
> numbers: 0.9.5 and 0.9.6.  I'm going to guess you have aprutil in your
> Subversion source tree (because of the "reconfig" bit), and that you
> used "--with-apr=..." to get an already installed apr.  That's not a
> good idea in general, but it should not cause the INT64 problem.

0.9.5 is from system apr-util and 0.9.6 is from builddir apu-util.
It is due to "--with-apr=..." as you mention.
Since I found "--with-apr=..." is not the cause, I'll not use it from now.

> You don't have SVN_APR_INCLUDES in config.log and configure doesn't
> tell us where it found APR, so it looks like we have to edit the
> configure script itself.  Search for "lld" and add a debugging line to
> print CPPFLAGS as shown below:
>
>    _ACEOF
>    echo "CPPFLAGS: $CPPFLAGS"                                    # add this line
>    if (eval "$ac_cpp conftest.$ac_ext") 2>&5 |
>      $EGREP "MaTcHtHiS \"lld\" EnDeNd" >/dev/null 2>&1; then
>
> There are probably three separate bits of code that look like the
> above, so modify all three.  Then rerun configure and it should print
> the flags that are getting passed to cpp.

Thanks.
I tried and found an output as follows:

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

From: Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:11:23 +0000

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:

>> >   configure:11838: apr.h: No such file or directory
>> >   configure:11853: apr.h: No such file or directory
>> >   configure:11867: apr.h: No such file or directory
>>
>> That's the problem.  Where is APR installed?  Does the file apr.h
>> exist?  It should be include/subversion-1/apr.h in where ever APR is

Oops!  My mistake, include/subversion-1 is where Subversion's header
files get installed.

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

> >> I don't know why it's failing, my apr.h looks like yours.  Is there
> >> any information in the config.log file?  There should be a line
> >> something like
> >>
> >>   configure:22700: checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string
> >>
> >> What are the next few lines?
> >
> > Log is as follows...
> >
> >   configure:11830: checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string
> >   configure:11838: apr.h: No such file or directory
> >   configure:11853: apr.h: No such file or directory
> >   configure:11867: apr.h: No such file or directory
>
> That's the problem.  Where is APR installed?  Does the file apr.h
> exist?  It should be include/subversion-1/apr.h in where ever APR is
> installed.

Hmm..., I see, it is the problem.

Few apr.h's exists, but not in include/subversion-1/apr.h.
They are in the following paths:

* /usr/include/apr-0/apr.h (system)
* $HOME/include/apr-0/apr.h (installed with subversion previously)
* $HOME/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include/apr.h (build dir)

All of them contains the same APR_INT64_T_FMT lines.

Actually, apr-config tells me those locations.

nori1[23:29]%  /usr/bin/apr-config --includes      saba:~/svnwc/subversion-ruby
 -I/usr/include/apr-0
nori1[23:31]%  $HOME/bin/apr-config --includes     saba:~/svnwc/subversion-ruby
 -I/home/nori1/include/apr-0
nori1[23:31]%  $HOME/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/apr-config --includes
 -I/home/nori1/svnwc/subversion-ruby/apr/include

However, even when with a option like '--with-apr=/usr', './configure' fails
to detect apr.h.
How can I have them detected?

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:

> Oh, thanks.
> I also thought this message is not related, but I have never used Python
> and have no idea, I wrote it.
> I'd like to test Ruby binding, but I'll be happy if I have Python one,
> so I'll install it.

You could try configure with --enable-swig-bindings=ruby if you don't
want Python.

--
Philip Martin

Re: Cannot configure

Posted by Kobayashi Noritada <no...@dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
Hi,

> >       from distutils import sysconfig
> >   ImportError: No module named distutils
>
> You do not have a complete python development environment, you can't
> build the Python bindings without it.  On Debian I think you need to
> install the python-dev package.  I think this is separate to the other
> problem below.

Oh, thanks.
I also thought this message is not related, but I have never used Python
and have no idea, I wrote it.
I'd like to test Ruby binding, but I'll be happy if I have Python one,
so I'll install it.

> >   checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string...
> >   configure: error: failed to recognize APR_INT64_T_FMT on this platform
> >
> > It seems APR_INT64_T_FMT is not recognized.
> > In my apr.h, however, following lines exist:
> >
> >   /* And APR_INT64_T_FMT */
> >   #define APR_INT64_T_FMT "lld"
> >   #define APR_INT64_T_FMT_LEN 3
> >
> > My environment is as follows:
> >
> > * OS: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r4
> > * kernel: 2.4.23
> >
> > Does anyone know what is wrong?
>
> I don't know why it's failing, my apr.h looks like yours.  Is there
> any information in the config.log file?  There should be a line
> something like
>
>   configure:22700: checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string
>
> What are the next few lines?

Log is as follows...

  configure:11830: checking for apr_int64_t Python/C API format string
  configure:11838: apr.h: No such file or directory
  configure:11853: apr.h: No such file or directory
  configure:11867: apr.h: No such file or directory
  configure:11881: result:
  configure:11884: error: failed to recognize APR_INT64_T_FMT on this platform

Actually, I read it but I couldn't get information...

> Run the "egrep" command, does it exist?

Yes, egrep v2.4.2 is installed.

nori1[22:04]%  LANG=C egrep --version              saba:~/svnwc/subversion-ruby
egrep (GNU grep) 2.4.2

Copyright 1988, 1992-1999, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

> Run the "locale" command, what locale are you using?

I'm using ja_JP.eucJP.

nori1[22:01]%  locale                              saba:~/svnwc/subversion-ruby
LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.eucJP"
LC_NUMERIC="ja_JP.eucJP"
LC_TIME="ja_JP.eucJP"