Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org> on 2015/12/28 16:44:27 UTC

Ticket cleanup

I'd like to share some rationale on my JIRA activity last night.  I'm happy
to undo any of the changes if folks disagree.

We had approximately 450 open tickets prior to last night.  Personally, I
found it daunting to find things we should actually work on.  To remedy
this, I started by skimming through tickets that have not been touched in
the last 6 months.  This quickly identified a swath of tickets that may be
valid, but I did not imagine them being valuable enough to address in the
foreseeable future.

If there is interest in doing more of this, I welcome help from others to
continue reducing the queue to something more manageable.  My culling
reduced the queue but it is still very large.

If you do participate in this, please try to avoid using "Resolved, Fixed"
so as to not add noise to the changelog in the next release.

Re: Ticket cleanup

Posted by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org>.

> I don't have any problems with an aspirational backlog of tickets.

I don't either, until they rot.  Many of the tickets i closed haven't been
touched in over a year, some nearly 2.  This doesn't always mean they're
invalid, but definitely means we don't care much about completing them.
Personally, i think we should move on from these tickets and reopen them if
we ever decide to revisit

Also, in the future, perhaps have this discussion before closing tickets
> en-masse?

I can see why that is frustrating.  I had an impromptu discussion with
Zameer prior to this, and in the past others have remarked on the
overwhelming nature of our queue; which prompted me to take action.  Not
consensus by any means, but i was assuming at the least i can undo my
changes.

In case it's helpful, here's a query that captures the tickets i closed
yesterday:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AURORA%20and%20status%3DResolved%20and%20status%20changed%20by%20wfarner%20and%20updatedDate%3E%272015%2F12%2F27%27%20and%20updatedDate%3C%272015%2F12%2F28%27

Re: Ticket cleanup

Posted by Joshua Cohen <jc...@apache.org>.

Re: Ticket cleanup