Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by steven shingler <sh...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/15 18:05:05 UTC

Any plans to move to build Nutchusing Maven?

Hi all,

I know this has come up at least once before, but I just thought I'd raise
the question again:

Are there any plans to move to building Nutch using Maven?

Has anyone done this?

All thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks,
Steven

Re: Any plans to move to build Nutchusing Maven?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 8/16/06, Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just noticed that there is going on some activity called Tika
> (http://code.google.com/p/tika/) and these guys are starting directly
> with Maven2 (am I right?).

The Maven 2 choise for the Tika staging ground was purely my personal
choise. I have no problems migrating to a different build system if
needed.

That said, I don't think an Ant build could ever come close to the
descriptive power of the Maven POM like the one in
http://tika.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/pom.xml. Combined with sticking
with the Maven conventions that gives me an instant build environment,
IDE integration, automatic site generation, and all sorts of nice
extra features like automatic DOAP file generation for
projects.apache.org.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Any plans to move to build Nutchusing Maven?

Posted by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have just noticed that there is going on some activity called Tika
(http://code.google.com/p/tika/) and these guys are starting directly
with Maven2 (am I right?).
The more Nutch/Lucene/Hadoop/[Tika]/[?] thing grows the more
sophisticated project management tool will be needed I think.

Lukas

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Sami Siren <ss...@gmail.com>.

--
  Sami Siren

Re: Any plans to move to build Nutchusing Maven?

Posted by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have almost no experience with maven subprojects but somehow I feel
this could help us with Nutch plugins. Am I correct?
In maven we can always call ant goals as well and Jelly is a fun to
use. With maven one of the biggest benefit would be that eclipse (or
other IDE) classpath settings hell will be over which could help naive
users (like me) a lot.

(and silently I hope that what I have said now holds for M2 too)

Regards,
Lukas

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Steven,

On 8/16/06 7:36 AM, "steven shingler" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (This thread moved from the User List.)
>
> OK Lukas, lets open it up to the dev list! :)
>
> Particularly, does the group feel moving to Maven would be _a good thing_ ?

+1

I suggested this (however did not make any progress on realizing it ;) ) a
while back. I think it makes a * lot of sense *. Maven's dependency system
would significantly reduce the size of the CM'ed Nutch source code, as all
the jars required by Nutch could be referenced externally (plugins are a
different beast, but we're working on that). Additionally, Maven would allow
automatic generation of a soft of "nightly build" Nutch site, showing recent
commits, unit test results and more.

> Even if so, what are the problems?

The main problem I see is the plugin system, and how to appropriate
represent plugin dependencies in Maven (or just neglect to elegantly handle
them, and treat them like invididual projects, like nutch, which requires
CM'ing jar files). Additionally, I think it will probably require writing
some custom Jelly scripts to do all the neat ant build stuff that Nutch does
on the side (e.g., unpack Hadoop, etc.).

> There are currently two versions of Lucene in the Maven repos, but Hadoop
> would have to be added manually, I think.

It would probably make most sense to run a Maven repo explicitly for Nutch
off of the Lucene Nutch site. Something like
(http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/maven/) might be sensible.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
  Chris

> All thoughts gratefully received.
> Cheers
> Steven
>
> On 8/16/06, Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to help. But first of all I would suggest to start wider
>> discussion in dev list to get more feedback/suggestions. I think one
>> problem can be that Nutch depends on both Lucene and Hadoop libraries
>> and it won't be easy to maintain these dependencies if recent versions
>> are not yet committed into some maven accesible repo.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Lukas
>>
>> On 8/16/06, steven shingler <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Well I'm up for giving it a try. My current work has me looking at both
>>> Nutch and Maven, so what better way to understand both projects :)
>>>
>>> I agree it is far from trivial - so if anyone here would like to
>> collaborate
>>> on it, that would be great.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steven

>> I'd

>> then

Re: Any plans to move to build Nutchusing Maven?

Posted by og...@yahoo.com.
Old issue.  I don't think there were any conclusions.  Not sure if Maven2 would be a good thing, because I haven't used Maven in 2+ years, and I understand it's changed a lot since then.

The best way to move anything forward is to contribute the solution/fix/patch and then persuade others to give it a try and hope they like it.  When that happens, your contribution typically goes in.

Otis

Posted by steven shingler <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,