Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Himanshu Chauhan <hi...@appulse.com> on 2006/01/17 05:37:44 UTC

Not able to run James

Hi,
I have been trying to configure James to enable news group facilities on
office LAN, but the application is not running.
Following is the trace, when I run it using run.bat on Windows XP(service
pack 1)

D:\Linux\News Server\james-2.2.0\bin>run
Using PHOENIX_HOME:   D:\Linux\News Server\james-2.2.0
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: D:\Linux\News Server\james-2.2.0\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      C:\j2sdk1.4.1_02;C:\Pricer\JDK1.4
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

My config.xml is attached with this mail. Kindly suggest any modifications I
should make in it.

Thanks,
Warm Regards,
Himanshu

RE: Not able to run James

Posted by Himanshu Chauhan <hi...@appulse.com>.
Hi Steve,
Thanks a lot for your help.

Warm Regards,
Himanshu
Put james in a directory path which does NOT include spaces. I think the
space in "News Server" is
your problem.

Himanshu Chauhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to configure James to enable news group facilities on
> office LAN, but the application is not running.
>
> Following is the trace, when I run it using run.bat on Windows
> XP(service pack 1)
>

> D:\Linux\News Server\james-2.2.0\bin>run
>
> Using PHOENIX_HOME:   D:\Linux\News Server\james-2.2.0
>
> Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR: D:\Linux\News Server\james-2.2.0\temp
>
> Using JAVA_HOME:      C:\j2sdk1.4.1_02;C:\Pricer\JDK1.4
>
> The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>
> My config.xml is attached with this mail. Kindly suggest any
> modifications I should make in it.
>
> Thanks, <<...>>
>
> Warm Regards,
>
> Himanshu

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE config [
> <!ENTITY listserverConfig SYSTEM "../conf/james-listmanager.xml">
> <!ENTITY listserverStores SYSTEM "../conf/james-liststores.xml">
> <!ENTITY fetchmailConfig SYSTEM "../conf/james-fetchmail.xml">
> ]>
>
> <!--  Configuration file for the ASF James server -->
>
> <!--  This file contains important settings that control the behaviour -->
> <!--  of all of the services and repositories. -->
>
> <!--                               README!                            -->
>
> <!-- This configuration file is designed to run without alteration for
simple tests. -->
> <!-- It assumes you have a DNS server on localhost and assigns a root
password of root. -->

> <!-- In case the defaults do not suit you, the items you are most likely
to need to change -->
> <!-- are preceded by a CHECKME! or CONFIRM? comment in the left margin.
-->

> <!-- For production use you will probably need to make more extensive
changes, see -->
> <!-- http://james.apache.org/documentation_2_1.html -->
>
> <!-- $Revision: 1.40.2.26 $ Committed on $Date: 2004/06/16 02:42:08 $ by:
$Author: noel $ -->

> <config>
>    <James>
>
> <!-- CHECKME! -->
>       <!-- This is the postmaster email address for this mail server. -->
>       <!-- Set this to the appropriate email address for error reports -->
>       <!-- If this is set to a non-local email address, the mail server
-->
>       <!-- will still function, but will generate a warning on startup.
-->
>       <postmaster>himanshu.chauhan@appulse.com</postmaster>
>
>       <!-- servernames identifies the DNS namespace served by this
instance of James. -->
>       <!-- These servernames are used for both matcher/mailet processing
and SMTP auth -->
>       <!-- to determine when a mail is intended for local delivery. -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- If autodetect is TRUE, James wil attempt to discover its own
host name AND -->
>       <!-- use any explicitly specified servernames. -->
>       <!-- If autodetect is FALSE, James will use only the specified
servernames. -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- If autodetectIP is not FALSE, James will also allow add the IP
address for each servername. -->
>       <!-- The automatic IP detection is to support RFC 2821, Sec 4.1.3,
address literals. -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- To override autodetected server names simply add explicit
servername elements. -->
>       <!-- In most cases this will be necessary. -->
>       <!-- By default, the servername 'localhost' is specified. This can
be removed, if required. -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- Warning: If you are using fetchpop it is important to include
the -->
>       <!-- fetched domains in the server name list to prevent looping.
-->
>       <servernames autodetect="true" autodetectIP="true">
> <!-- CONFIRM? -->
>          <servername>appulse.com</servername>
>       </servernames>
>
>       <!-- Set whether user names are case sensitive or case insensitive
-->
>       <!-- Set whether to enable local aliases -->
>       <!-- Set whether to enable forwarding -->
>       <usernames ignoreCase="true" enableAliases="true"
enableForwarding="true"/>

>       <!-- The inbox repository is the location for users inboxes -->
>       <!-- Default setting: file based repository - enter path ( use
"file:///" for absolute) -->
>       <inboxRepository>
>          <repository destinationURL="file:///D:/Linux/" type="MAIL"/>
>       </inboxRepository>
>
>       <!-- Alternative inbox repository definition for DB use. -->
>       <!-- The format for the destinationURL is
"db://<data-source>/<table>" -->
>       <!-- <data-source> is the datasource name set up in the
database-connections block, below -->
>       <!-- <table> is the name of the table to store user inboxes in -->
>       <!-- The user name is used as <repositoryName> for this repository
config. -->
>       <!--
>       <inboxRepository>
>          <repository destinationURL="db://maildb/inbox/" type="MAIL"/>
>       </inboxRepository>
>       -->
>
>       <!-- Alternative inbox repository definition for DB use. -->
>       <!-- Stores message body in file system, rest in database -->
>       <!--
>       <inboxRepository>
>          <repository destinationURL="dbfile://maildb/inbox/" type="MAIL"/>
>       </inboxRepository>
>       -->
>
>       <!-- Alternative inbox repository definition for mbox use. -->
>       <!-- This method uses UNIX standard mbox files and is meant for
people using mbox files -->
>       <!-- with systems such as mail list archive displayers -->
>       <!-- Note that dot-locking is not currently supported -->
>       <!-- so network (write) accesses may cause mbox corruption -->
>       <!-- the sample mbox URL is an absolute URL; mbox:///var/mail will
put the users mbox files in /var/mail/-->
>       <!--
>       <inboxRepository>
>          <repository destinationURL="mbox:///var/mail/" type="MAIL"/>
>       </inboxRepository>
>       -->
>    </James>
>
>    <!-- Fetch pop block, fetches mail from POP3 servers and inserts it
into the incoming spool -->
>    <!-- Warning: It is important to prevent mail from looping by setting
the  -->
>    <!-- fetched domains in the <servernames> section of the <James> block
-->
>    <!-- above. This block is disabled by default.
-->
>    <!-- FetchPOP is being deprecated in favor of FetchMail
-->
>     <fetchpop enabled="false">
>         <!-- You can have as many fetch tasks as you want, but each must
have a -->
>         <!-- unique name by which it identified -->
>         <fetch name="appulse.com">
>             <!-- Host name or IP address -->
>             <host>192.168.0.2</host>
>             <!-- Account login username -->
>             <user>himanshu.chauhan</user>
>             <!-- Account login password -->
>             <password>wizardbc</password>
>             <!-- How frequently this account is checked - in milliseconds.
600000 is every ten minutes -->
>             <interval>600000</interval>
>         </fetch>
>     </fetchpop>
>
>     <!-- This is an example configuration for FetchMail, a JavaMail based
gateway  -->
>     <!-- service that pulls messages from other sources, and inserts them
into the -->
>     <!-- spool.  They are then processed normally, although FetchMail
generally    -->
>     <!-- has to fabricate some of the envelope information.  FetchMail
should be   -->
>     <!-- considered a mail gateway, rather than a relay, in RFC terms.
-->
>     <!-- Fetchmail is a functionally richer replacement for FetchPOP.
-->
>     <!-- CHECKME: FetchMail is disabled by default, and must be configured
to use. -->
>     <!-- Edit the file referred to by fetchmailConfig to enable and
configure.     -->
>     &fetchmailConfig;
>
>    <!-- The James Spool Manager block  -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- This block is responsible for processing messages on the spool.
-->
>    <spoolmanager>
>       <!-- Number of spool threads -->
>       <threads> 10 </threads>
>
>       <!-- Set the Java packages from which to load mailets and matchers
-->
>       <mailetpackages>
>          <mailetpackage>org.apache.james.transport.mailets</mailetpackage>
>       </mailetpackages>
>       <matcherpackages>

<matcherpackage>org.apache.james.transport.matchers</matcherpackage>
>       </matcherpackages>
>
>       <!-- The root processor is a required processor - James routes all
mail on the spool -->
>       <!-- through this processor first. -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- This configuration is a sample configuration for the root
processor. -->
>       <processor name="root">
>
>          <!-- Checks that the email Sender is associated with a valid
domain. -->
>          <!-- Useful for detecting and eliminating spam. -->
>          <!-- For this block to function, the spam processor must be
configured. -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet
match="SenderInFakeDomain=64.55.105.9,64.94.110.11,194.205.62.122,194.205.62
.62,195.7.77.20,206.253.214.102,212.181.91.6,219.88.106.80,194.205.62.42,216
.35.187.246,203.119.4.6" class="ToProcessor">

<mapping>istari@middle-earth=saruman@isengard;radigast;gandalf</mapping>
>             <!- DSN mapping ->
>             <mapping>boromir@osgilliath=error:550 Requested action not
taken: no such user here</mapping>

<mapping>*@osgilliath=regex:(.*)@osgilliath:${1}@minas-tirith</mapping>

<mapping>ring@*=onering@mordor;regex:ring@(.*):ring@${1}</mapping>

<mapping>*@listserver=regex:(.*)-on@listserver:${1}-subscribe@listserver;

http://www.habeas.com) -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="HasHabeasWarrantMark" class="ToProcessor">
>             <processor> transport </processor>
>          </mailet>
>          -->
>          <!-- End of White List -->
>
>          <!-- Check for delivery from a known spam server -->
>          <!-- This set of matchers/mailets redirect all emails from known
-->
>          <!-- black holes, open relays, and spam servers to the spam
processor -->
>          <!-- For this set to function properly, the spam processor must
be configured. -->
>          <mailet match="InSpammerBlacklist=dnsbl.njabl.org"
>                  class="ToProcessor">
>            <processor> spam </processor>
>            <notice>550 Requested action not taken: rejected - see
http://njabl.org/ </notice>
>          </mailet>
>
>          <mailet match="InSpammerBlacklist=relays.ordb.org"
>                  class="ToProcessor">
>            <processor> spam </processor>
>            <notice>550 Requested action not taken: rejected - see
http://www.ordb.org/ </notice>
>          </mailet>
>
>          <!-- Sample matching to kill a message (send to Null) -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="RecipientIs=badboy@badhost" class="Null"/>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- Send remaining mails to the transport processor for either
local or remote delivery -->
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToProcessor">
>             <processor> transport </processor>
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>
>       <!-- The error processor is required.  James may internally set
emails to the -->
>       <!-- error state.  The error processor is generally invoked when
there is an -->
>       <!-- unexpected error either in the mailet chain or internal to
James. -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- By default configuration all email that generates an error in
placed in -->
>       <!-- an error repository. -->
>       <processor name="error">
>          <!-- If you want to notify the sender their message generated an
error, uncomment this       -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="All" class="Bounce"/>
>          -->
>          <!-- If you want to notify the postmaster that a message
generated an error, uncomment this  -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="All" class="NotifyPostmaster"/>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- Logs any messages to the repository specified -->
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToRepository">
>             <repositoryPath>file:///D:/Linux/</repositoryPath>
>             <!-- An alternative database repository example follows. -->
>             <!--
>             <repositoryPath> db://maildb/deadletter/error
</repositoryPath>
>             -->
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>
>       <!-- Processor CONFIGURATION SAMPLE: transport is a sample custom
processor for local or -->
>       <!-- remote delivery -->
>       <processor name="transport">
>
>         <!-- This is an example configuration including configuration for
a list server. -->
>         <!-- CHECKME: before uncommenting this, edit the configuration
file's contents   -->
>         <!--
>           &listserverConfig;
>         -->
>
>          <!-- Is the recipient is for a local account, deliver it locally
-->
>          <mailet match="RecipientIsLocal" class="LocalDelivery"/>
>
>          <!-- If the host is handled by this server and it did not get -->
>          <!-- locally delivered, this is an invalid recipient -->
>          <mailet match="HostIsLocal" class="ToProcessor">
>             <processor> local-address-error </processor>
>             <notice>550 - Requested action not taken: no such user
here</notice>
>          </mailet>
>
> <!-- CHECKME! -->
>          <!-- This is an anti-relay matcher/mailet combination -->
>          <!-- -->
>          <!-- Emails sent from servers not in the network list are  -->
>          <!-- rejected as spam.  This is one method of preventing your -->
>          <!-- server from being used as an open relay.  Make sure you
understand -->
>          <!-- how to prevent your server from becoming an open relay
before -->
>          <!-- changing this configuration. See also <authorizedAddresses>
in SMTP Server -->
>          <!-- -->
>          <!-- This matcher/mailet combination must come after local
delivery has -->
>          <!-- been performed.  Otherwise local users will not be able to
receive -->
>          <!-- email from senders not in this remote address list. -->
>          <!-- -->
>          <!-- If you are using this matcher/mailet you will probably want
to -->
>          <!-- update the configuration to include your own
network/addresses.  The -->
>          <!-- matcher can be configured with a comma separated list of IP
addresses  -->
>          <!-- wildcarded IP subnets, and wildcarded hostname subnets. -->
>          <!-- e.g. "RemoteAddrNotInNetwork=127.0.0.1, abc.de.*,
192.168.0.*" -->
>          <!-- -->
>          <!-- If you are using SMTP authentication then you can (and
generally -->
>          <!-- should) disable this matcher/mailet pair. -->
>          <mailet match="RemoteAddrNotInNetwork=127.0.0.1"
class="ToProcessor">
>             <processor> relay-denied </processor>
>             <notice>550 - Requested action not taken: relaying
denied</notice>
>          </mailet>
>
>          <!-- Attempt remote delivery using the specified repository for
the spool, -->
>          <!-- using delay time to retry delivery and the maximum number of
retries -->
>          <mailet match="All" class="RemoteDelivery">
>             <outgoing> file:///D:/Linux/ </outgoing>
>             <!-- alternative database repository example below -->
>             <!--
>             <outgoing> db://maildb/spool/outgoing </outgoing>
>             -->
>
>             <!-- Delivery Schedule based upon RFC 2821, 4.5.4.1 -->
>             <!-- 5 day retry period, with 4 attempts in the first
>                  hour, two more within the first 6 hours, and then
>                  every 6 hours for the rest of the period. -->
>             <delayTime>  5 minutes </delayTime>
>             <delayTime> 10 minutes </delayTime>
>             <delayTime> 45 minutes </delayTime>
>             <delayTime>  2 hours </delayTime>
>             <delayTime>  3 hours </delayTime>
>             <delayTime>  6 hours </delayTime>
>             <maxRetries> 25 </maxRetries>
>
>             <!-- The number of threads that should be trying to deliver
outgoing messages -->
>             <deliveryThreads> 1 </deliveryThreads>
>
>             <!-- If false the message will not be sent to given server if
any recipients fail -->
>             <sendpartial>false</sendpartial>
>
>             <!-- A single mail server to deliver all outgoing messages.
-->
>             <!-- This is useful if this server is a backup or failover
machine, -->
>             <!-- or if you want all messages to be routed through a
particular mail server, -->
>             <!-- regardless of the email addresses specified in the
message -->
>             <!-- -->
>             <!-- The gateway element specifies the gateway SMTP server
name. -->
>             <!-- If your gateway mail server is listening on a port other
than 25, -->
>             <!-- you can set James to connect to it on that port using the
gatewayPort -->
>             <!-- element. -->
>             <!-- Although normally multiple addresses are implemented
through proper -->
>             <!-- DNS configuration, the RemoteDelivery mail does allow
specifying -->
>             <!-- multiple gateway elements, each of which may also have a
port -->
>             <!-- e.g., mygateway:2525 -->
>             <!-- the gatewayPort element is used as a default -->
>             <!--
>             <gateway> otherserver.mydomain.com </gateway>
>             <gatewayPort>25</gatewayPort>
>             -->
>          </mailet>
>
>       </processor>
>
>       <!-- Processor CONFIGURATION SAMPLE: spam is a sample custom
processor for handling -->
>       <!-- spam. -->
>       <!-- You can either log these, bounce these, or just ignore them.
-->
>       <processor name="spam">
>          <!-- To destroy all messages, uncomment this matcher/mailet
configuration -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="All" class="Null"/>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- To notify the sender their message was marked as spam,
uncomment this matcher/mailet configuration -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="All" class="Bounce"/>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- To notify the postmaster that a message was marked as spam,
uncomment this matcher/mailet configuration -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="All" class="NotifyPostmaster"/>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- To log the message to a repository, this matcher/mailet
configuration should be uncommented. -->
>          <!-- This is the default configuration. -->
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToRepository">
>             <repositoryPath>file:///D:/Linux/</repositoryPath>
>
>             <!-- Changing the repositoryPath, as in this commented out
example, will -->
>             <!-- cause the mails to be stored in a database repository.
-->
>             <!-- Please note that only one repositoryPath element can be
present for the mailet -->
>             <!-- configuration. -->
>             <!--
>             <repositoryPath> db://maildb/deadletter/spam </repositoryPath>
>             -->
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>
>       <!-- This processor handles messages that are for local domains,
where the user is unknown -->
>       <processor name="local-address-error">
>          <!-- To notify the sender the address was invalid, uncomment this
matcher/mailet configuration -->
>          <!-- The original message is not attached to keep the bounce
processor from deliverying spam -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="All" class="Bounce">
>             <attachment>none</attachment>
>          </mailet>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- To notify the postmaster that a message had an invalid
address, uncomment this matcher/mailet configuration -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="All" class="NotifyPostmaster"/>
>          -->
>
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToRepository">
>             <repositoryPath> file:///D:/Linux/</repositoryPath>
>             <!-- An alternative database repository example follows. -->
>             <!--
>             <repositoryPath> db://maildb/deadletter/address-error
</repositoryPath>
>             -->
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>
>       <!-- This processor handles messages that are for foreign domains,
where relaying is denied -->
>       <!-- As of James v2.2, this processor can be deprecated by using the
<authorizedAddresses> tag
>            in the SMTP Server, and rejecting the message in the protocol
transaction.  -->
>       <processor name="relay-denied">
>          <!-- To notify the sender the address was invalid, uncomment this
matcher/mailet configuration -->
>          <!-- The original message is not attached to keep the bounce
processor from deliverying spam -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="All" class="Bounce">
>             <attachment>none</attachment>
>          </mailet>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- To notify the postmaster that a relay request was denied,
uncomment this matcher/mailet configuration -->
>          <!--
>          <mailet match="All" class="NotifyPostmaster"/>
>          -->
>
>          <mailet match="All" class="ToRepository">
>             <repositoryPath>file:///D:/Linux/</repositoryPath>
>             <!-- An alternative database repository example follows. -->
>             <!--
>             <repositoryPath> db://maildb/deadletter/relay-denied
</repositoryPath>
>             -->
>          </mailet>
>       </processor>
>    </spoolmanager>
>
>    <!-- DNS Server Block -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- Specifies DNS Server information for use by various components
inside -->
>    <!-- James. -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- If autodiscover is true, James will attempt to autodiscover the
DNS servers configured on your underlying system.-->
>    <!-- Currently, this works if the OS has a unix-like
/etc/resolv.conf,-->
>    <!-- or the system is Windows based with ipconfig or winipcfg.-->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- If no DNS servers are found and you have not specified any below,
127.0.0.1 will be used-->
>    <!-- If you use autodiscover and add DNS servers manually a combination
of all the dns servers will be used  -->
>    <!--  -->
>    <!-- Information includes a list of DNS Servers to be used by James.
These are -->
>    <!-- specified by the server elements, each of which is a child element
of the -->
>    <!-- servers element.  Each server element is the IP address of a
single DNS server. -->
>    <!-- The servers element can have multiple server children. -->
>    <dnsserver>
>       <servers>
>          <!--Enter ip address of your DNS server, one IP address per
server -->
>          <!-- element. -->
>
>           <server>192.168.0.1</server>
>
>       </servers>
>       <!-- Change autodiscover to false if you would like to turn off
autodiscovery -->
>       <!-- and set the DNS servers manually in the <servers> section -->
>       <autodiscover>true</autodiscover>
>       <authoritative>false</authoritative>
>    </dnsserver>
>
>    <remotemanager>
>       <port>4555</port>
>       <!--  Uncomment this if you want to bind to a specific inetaddress
-->
>       <!--
>       <bind> </bind>
>       -->
>       <!--  Uncomment this if you want to use TLS (SSL) on this port -->
>       <!--
>       <useTLS>true</useTLS>
>       -->
>       <handler>
>          <!-- This is the name used by the server to identify itself in
the RemoteManager -->
>          <!-- protocol.  If autodetect is TRUE, the server will discover
its -->
>          <!-- own host name and use that in the protocol.  If discovery
fails, -->
>          <!-- the value of 'localhost' is used.  If autodetect is FALSE,
James -->
>          <!-- will use the specified value. -->
>          <helloName autodetect="true">myMailServer</helloName>
>          <administrator_accounts>
> <!-- CHECKME! -->
>             <!-- Change the default login/password. -->
>             <account login="root" password="root"/>
>          </administrator_accounts>
>          <connectiontimeout> 60000 </connectiontimeout>
>       </handler>
>    </remotemanager>
>
>     <!-- The POP3 server is enabled by default -->
>     <!-- Disabling blocks will stop them from listening, -->
>     <!-- but does not free as many resources as removing them would -->
>    <pop3server enabled="true">
>       <!-- port 995 is the well-known/IANA registered port for POP3S  ie
over SSL/TLS -->
>       <!-- port 110 is the well-known/IANA registered port for Standard
POP3 -->
>       <port>110</port>
>
>       <!-- Uncomment this if you want to bind to a specific inetaddress
-->
>       <!--
>       <bind> </bind>
>       -->
>       <!--  Uncomment this if you want to use TLS (SSL) on this port -->
>       <!--
>       <useTLS>true</useTLS>
>       -->
>
>       <handler>
>          <!-- This is the name used by the server to identify itself in
the POP3 -->
>          <!-- protocol.  If autodetect is TRUE, the server will discover
its -->
>          <!-- own host name and use that in the protocol.  If discovery
fails, -->
>          <!-- the value of 'localhost' is used.  If autodetect is FALSE,
James -->
>          <!-- will use the specified value. -->
>          <helloName autodetect="true">myMailServer</helloName>
>          <connectiontimeout>120000</connectiontimeout>
>       </handler>
>    </pop3server>
>
>     <!-- The SMTP server is enabled by default -->
>     <!-- Disabling blocks will stop them from listening, -->
>     <!-- but does not free as many resources as removing them would -->
>    <smtpserver enabled="true">
>       <!-- port 25 is the well-known/IANA registered port for SMTP -->
>       <port>25</port>
>
>       <!-- Uncomment this if you want to bind to a specific inetaddress
-->
>       <!--
>       <bind> </bind>
>       -->
>       <!-- Uncomment this if you want to use TLS (SSL) on this port -->
>       <!--
>       <useTLS>true</useTLS>
>       -->
>
>       <handler>
>          <!-- This is the name used by the server to identify itself in
the SMTP -->
>          <!-- protocol.  If autodetect is TRUE, the server will discover
its -->
>          <!-- own host name and use that in the protocol.  If discovery
fails, -->
>          <!-- the value of 'localhost' is used.  If autodetect is FALSE,
James -->
>          <!-- will use the specified value. -->
>          <helloName autodetect="true">myMailServer</helloName>
>          <connectiontimeout>360000</connectiontimeout>
>
>          <!--  Uncomment this if you want to require SMTP authentication.
-->
>          <!--
>          <authRequired>true</authRequired>
>          -->
>
> <!-- CHECKME! -->
>          <!--  Uncomment this if you want to authorize specific
addresses/networks.
>                If you use SMTP AUTH, addresses that match those specified
here will
>                be permitted to relay without SMTP AUTH.  If you do not use
SMTP
>                AUTH, and you specify addreses here, then only addresses
that match
>                those specified will be permitted to relay.
>
>                Addresses may be specified as a an IP address or domain
name, with an
>                optional netmask, e.g.,
>
>                127.*, 127.0.0.0/8, 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0, and localhost/8
are all the same

>                See also the RemoteAddrNotInNetwork matcher in the
transport processor.
>                You would generally use one OR the other approach.
>          -->
>          <authorizedAddresses>192.168.0.2/8</authorizedAddresses>
>
>          <!--  Uncomment this if you want to verify sender addresses,
ensuring that -->
>          <!--  the sender address matches the user who has authenticated.
-->
>          <!--  This prevents a user of your mail server from acting as
someone else -->
>          <!--
>          <verifyIdentity>true</verifyIdentity>
>          -->
>
>          <!--  This sets the maximum allowed message size (in kilobytes)
for this -->
>          <!--  SMTP service. If unspecified, the value defaults to 0,
which means no limit. -->
>          <maxmessagesize>0</maxmessagesize>
>       </handler>
>    </smtpserver>
>
>     <!-- The NNTP server is enabled by default -->
>     <!-- Disabling blocks will stop them from listening, -->
>     <!-- but does not free as many resources as removing them would -->
>     <!-- NNTP-specific: if you disable the NNTP Server, you should also
set the nntp-repository's
>          threadCount to 0, otherwise there will be threads active and
polling  -->
>    <nntpserver enabled="true">
>    <!-- THE NNTP PROTOCOL IS EXPERIMENTAL AND NOT AS WELL TESTED AS SMTP
AND POP3 IN THIS RELEASE.
>         The James project recommends that you check the James web site for
updates to the NNTP
>         service.  -->
>       <!-- port 563 is the well-known/IANA registered port for NNTP over
SSL/TLS -->
>       <!-- port 119 is the well-known/IANA registered port for Standard
NNTP -->
>       <port>119</port>
>
>       <!-- Uncomment this if you want to bind to a specific inetaddress
-->
>       <!--
>       <bind> </bind>
>       -->
>       <!-- Uncomment this if you want to use TLS (SSL)  on this port -->
>       <!--
>       <useTLS>true</useTLS>
>       -->
>
>       <handler>
>          <!-- This is the name used by the server to identify itself in
the NNTP -->
>          <!-- protocol.  If autodetect is TRUE, the server will discover
its -->
>          <!-- own host name and use that in the protocol.  If discovery
fails, -->
>          <!-- the value of 'localhost' is used.  If autodetect is FALSE,
James -->
>          <!-- will use the specified value. -->
>          <helloName autodetect="true">myMailServer</helloName>
>          <connectiontimeout>120000</connectiontimeout>
>           <!-- Set the authRequired value to true to enable authenticated
NNTP -->
>          <authRequired>false</authRequired>
>       </handler>
>    </nntpserver>
>
>    <nntp-repository>
>       <!-- If this is set to true, posting will be disallowed. -->
>       <readOnly>false</readOnly>
>
>       <rootPath>file:///D:/Linux/</rootPath>
>       <tempPath>file:///D:/Linux/</tempPath>
>       <articleIDPath>file:///D:/Linux/</articleIDPath>
>       <articleIDDomainSuffix>news.appulse.com</articleIDDomainSuffix>
>
>       <!-- The news groups hosted in this NNTP repository. -->
>       <!-- Groups here will be added to those found in the file system,
>            but removing groups from here will NOT remove them from the
>            server.  Change <newsgroups> to <newsgroups only="true"> to
>            restrict newsgroups to ONLY those found in this list.  -->
>       <newsgroups>
>          <newsgroup>org.apache.james.dev</newsgroup>
>          <newsgroup>org.apache.james.user</newsgroup>
>          <newsgroup>org.apache.avalon.dev</newsgroup>
>          <newsgroup>org.apache.avalon.user</newsgroup>
>       </newsgroups>
>
>       <spool>
>          <configuration>
>             <spoolPath>file:///D:/Linux/</spoolPath>
>             <!-- The number of threads that process spooler related tasks.
-->
>             <threadCount>1</threadCount>
>             <!-- The spool thread(s) should idle for some time, if it has
nothing to do  -->
>             <threadIdleTime>60000</threadIdleTime>
>          </configuration>
>       </spool>
>    </nntp-repository>
>
>    <!-- The Mailstore block -->
>    <mailstore>
>       <repositories>
>
>          <!-- File based repositories.  These repositories store all
message data -->
>          <!-- in the file system. -->
>          <repository
class="org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository">
>             <protocols>
>                <protocol>file</protocol>
>             </protocols>
>             <types>
>                <type>MAIL</type>
>             </types>
>          </repository>
>          <repository
class="org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonSpoolRepository">
>             <protocols>
>                <protocol>file</protocol>
>             </protocols>
>             <types>
>                <type>SPOOL</type>
>             </types>
>          </repository>
>
>          <!-- JDBC based repositories.  These repositories store all
message data -->
>          <!-- in the database. -->
>          <repository
class="org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCMailRepository">
>             <protocols>
>                <protocol>db</protocol>
>             </protocols>
>             <types>
>                <type>MAIL</type>
>             </types>
>             <config>
>                <sqlFile>file://conf/sqlResources.xml</sqlFile>
>             </config>
>          </repository>
>
>          <repository
class="org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCSpoolRepository">
>             <protocols>
>                <protocol>db</protocol>
>             </protocols>
>             <types>
>                <type>SPOOL</type>
>             </types>
>             <config>
>                <sqlFile>file://conf/sqlResources.xml</sqlFile>
>                <maxcache>1000</maxcache>
>             </config>
>          </repository>
>
>          <!-- These repositories store message delivery and headers in the
DB, and the body to the filesystem -->
>          <repository
class="org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCMailRepository">
>             <protocols>
>                <protocol>dbfile</protocol>
>             </protocols>
>             <types>
>                <type>MAIL</type>
>             </types>
>             <config>
>                <sqlFile>file://conf/sqlResources.xml</sqlFile>
>                <filestore>file://var/dbmail</filestore>
>             </config>
>          </repository>
>
>          <repository
class="org.apache.james.mailrepository.JDBCSpoolRepository">
>             <protocols>
>                <protocol>dbfile</protocol>
>             </protocols>
>             <types>
>                <type>SPOOL</type>
>             </types>
>             <config>
>                <sqlFile>file://conf/sqlResources.xml</sqlFile>
>                <filestore>file://var/dbmail</filestore>
>                <maxcache>1000</maxcache>
>             </config>
>          </repository>
>
>          <!-- The mbox repository is designed for MAIL only; SPOOL
performance would be less than ideal-->
>          <repository
class="org.apache.james.mailrepository.MBoxMailRepository">
>             <protocols>
>                <protocol>mbox</protocol>
>             </protocols>
>             <types>
>                <type>MAIL</type>
>             </types>
>          </repository>
>       </repositories>
>
>       <!-- Spool repository configuration -->
>       <!-- The spool repository is the location where incoming mails are
temporarily stored -->
>       <!-- before being processed. -->
>       <spoolRepository>
>          <repository destinationURL="file://var/mail/spool/"
type="SPOOL"/>
>       </spoolRepository>
>
>       <!-- Alternative spool repository definition for JDBC use -->
>       <!--
>       <spoolRepository>
>          <repository destinationURL="db://maildb/spool/spool"
type="SPOOL"/>
>       </spoolRepository>
>       -->
>
>       <!-- Alternative spool repository definition for JDBC use -->
>       <!-- Stores message body in file system, rest in database -->
>       <!--
>       <spoolRepository>
>          <repository destinationURL="dbfile://maildb/spool/spool"
type="SPOOL"/>
>       </spoolRepository>
>       -->
>    </mailstore>
>

>    <!-- The User Storage block -->
>    <users-store>
>       <!-- Configure User Repositories here. -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- User repositories are required for the following purposes: -->
>       <!--    - storing James user information, including forwards,
aliases, -->
>       <!--      and authentication data. -->
>       <!--    - holding lists of users for the listserv mailet -->
>       <!-- Currently, two different storage options are available: -->
>       <!--    - file-based storage using Java serialization -->
>       <!--    - database-backed storage -->
>       <!-- (Use of database or file-system is defined on a
"per-repository" basis) -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- Note: One user repository is required for James: -->
>       <!--   LocalUsers - the users for whom you are providing POP3, NNTP,
or SMTP service -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- Other repositories may be used by matchers or mailets. -->
>
>       <!-- Default: File-based user repositories  Use these configurations
to store user info in the filesystem  -->
>       <!-- The LocalUsers repository, for storing James' User info. -->
>       <repository name="LocalUsers"
class="org.apache.james.userrepository.UsersFileRepository">
>          <destination URL="file://var/users/"/>
>       </repository>
>
>       <!-- Database backed user repositories -->
>       <!-- -->
>       <!-- Use these configurations to store user info in a database. -->
>       <!-- Note: The <data-source> element must refer to a connection
configured -->
>       <!--       in the <database-connections> configuration section. -->
>
>       <!-- The LocalUsers repository, for storing James' User info. -->
>       <!--
>       <repository name="LocalUsers"
class="org.apache.james.userrepository.JamesUsersJdbcRepository"
destinationURL="db://maildb/users">
>          <sqlFile>file://conf/sqlResources.xml</sqlFile>
>       </repository>
>       -->
>
>       <!-- This is an example configuration including configuration for a
list server. -->
>       <!-- CHECKME: before uncommenting this, edit the configuration
file's contents   -->
>       <!--
>         &listserverStores;
>       -->
>
>    </users-store>
>
>    <!-- The database-connections block -->
>    <database-connections>
>       <!-- These connections are referred to by name elsewhere in the
config file -->
> <!-- CHECKME! -->
>       <!-- To allow James to use a database you must configure the
database connection here. -->
>       <!-- If you are not using a database, you can leave this section
unchanged. -->
>       <!-- These connections are referred to by name in URLs elsewhere in
the config file. -->
>       <data-sources>
>          <!--
>               James has previously used an in-house connection pool,
Mordred.
>               Mordred is being deprecated in favor of Jakarta Commons
DBCP.
>               To use DBCP:    org.apache.james.util.dbcp.JdbcDataSource
>               To use Mordred: org.apache.james.util.mordred.JdbcDataSource
>
>               Change it back, of course, to use Mordred.
>
>               NOTE: DBCP is configured to recover from a database server
outage.
>                     This, alone, may be reason for you to give it a try.
>          -->
>          <!-- James is distributed with a built in relevant copy of the
mm.mysql JDBC    -->
>          <!-- driver.  No additional driver is needed for mysql. Read the
mm.mysql LGPL  -->
>          <!-- license at apps\james\SAR-INF\lib\mm.mysql.LICENCE
-->

>          <!-- JDBC driver .jar libraries for other RDBMS can be placed in
~james/lib/  -->

>          <!-- Example, connecting to a MySQL database called "mail" on
localhost-->
>          <!-- -->
>          <!-- The max value is the maximum number of concurrent
connections James will -->
>          <!-- open to this database-->
>          <!-- If you see "SQLException: Giving up... no connections
available." in your -->
>          <!-- log files or bounced mail you should increase this value -->
>          <!--
>          <data-source name="maildb"
class="org.apache.james.util.dbcp.JdbcDataSource">
>             <driver>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</driver>
>             <dburl>jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/mail?autoReconnect=true</dburl>
>             <user>username</user>
>             <password>password</password>
>             <max>20</max>
>          </data-source>
>          -->
>
>          <!-- Example, connecting to a Microsoft MSSQL database called
"mail" on localhost-->
>          <!-- -->
>          <!-- The max value is the maximum number of concurrent
connections James will -->
>          <!-- open to this database-->
>          <!-- If you see "SQLException: Giving up... no connections
available." in your -->
>          <!-- log files or bounced mail you should increase this value -->
>          <!--
>          <data-source name="maildb"
class="org.apache.james.util.dbcp.JdbcDataSource">
>             <driver>com.inet.tds.TdsDriver</driver>
>             <dburl>jdbc:inetdae7:127.0.0.1?database=James</dburl>
>             <user>sa_james</user>
>             <password>blahblah</password>
>             <max>20</max>
>          </data-source>
>          -->
>
>       </data-sources>
>    </database-connections>
>
>    <!-- Configuration for Cornerstone Services -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- For a simple configuration, nothing beneath this line should
require -->
>    <!-- alteration. -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- You will need to adjust the Socket Manager service configuration
if you want -->
>    <!-- to enable secure sockets (TLS) for any James service.
-->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- Complex or high volume configurations may require changes to the
parameters -->
>    <!-- in this section.  Please read the James and Avalon documentation
before -->
>    <!-- attempting to adjust this section. -->
>    <!-- -->
>
>    <!-- The Object Storage block -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- Defines file storage details that are used for file-based
repositories. -->
>    <objectstorage>
>       <repositories>
>          <repository
class="org.apache.james.mailrepository.filepair.File_Persistent_Object_Repos
itory">
>             <protocols>
>                <protocol>file</protocol>
>             </protocols>
>             <types>
>                <type>OBJECT</type>
>             </types>
>             <models>
>                <model>SYNCHRONOUS</model>
>                <model>ASYNCHRONOUS</model>
>                <model>CACHE</model>
>             </models>
>          </repository>
>
>          <repository
class="org.apache.james.mailrepository.filepair.File_Persistent_Stream_Repos
itory">
>             <protocols>
>                <protocol>file</protocol>
>             </protocols>
>             <types>
>                <type>STREAM</type>
>             </types>
>             <models>
>                <model>SYNCHRONOUS</model>
>                <model>ASYNCHRONOUS</model>
>                <model>CACHE</model>
>             </models>
>          </repository>
>       </repositories>
>    </objectstorage>
>
>    <!-- The Connection Manager block -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- The idle-timeout is the number of milliseconds that it will take
for idle -->
>    <!-- client connections managed by this connection manager to be marked
at timed out. -->
>    <!-- If no value is specified, the value defaults to 5 minutes, 300000
milliseconds -->
>    <!-- A value of 0 means that client sockets will not timeout. -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- The max-connections parameter specifies the default maximum number
of client -->
>    <!-- connections that this connection manager will allow per managed
server socket. -->
>    <!-- This value can be overridden by each individual service. -->
>    <!-- If no value is specified, the value defaults to 30. -->
>    <!-- A value of 0 means that there is no limit imposed by the
connection manager, although -->
>    <!-- resource limitations imposed by other components (i.e. max # of
threads) may -->
>    <!-- serve to limit the number of open connections. -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <connections>
>       <idle-timeout>300000</idle-timeout>
>       <max-connections>30</max-connections>
>    </connections>
>
>    <!-- The Socket Manager block -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- The server-sockets element has a number of factory sub-elements.
-->
>    <!-- Each of the factory elements has a name and class attribute -->
>    <!-- The name attribute for each factory element must be unique.  -->
>    <!-- The class attribute is the name of a class that implements the -->
>    <!-- interface
org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.ServerSocketFactory -->
>    <!-- Specific factory elements may require some sub-elements.  This is
-->
>    <!-- factory class dependent. -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- The client-sockets element has a number of factory sub-elements.
-->
>    <!-- Each of the factory elements has a name and class attribute -->
>    <!-- The name attribute for each factory element must be unique.  -->
>    <!-- The class attribute is the name of a class that implements the -->
>    <!-- interface org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.SocketFactory -->
>    <!-- Specific factory elements may require some sub-elements.  This is
-->
>    <!-- factory class dependent. -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <sockets>
>       <server-sockets>
>          <factory name="plain"
class="org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.sockets.DefaultServerSocketFacto
ry"/>
>          <!--
>          <factory name="ssl"
class="org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.sockets.TLSServerSocketFactory">
>             <keystore>
>                <file>conf/keystore</file>
>                <password>secret</password>
>                <type>JKS</type>
>                <protocol>TLS</protocol>
>                <algorithm>SunX509</algorithm>
>                <authenticate-client>false</authenticate-client>
>             </keystore>
>          </factory>
>          -->
>       </server-sockets>
>       <client-sockets>
>          <factory name="plain"
class="org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.sockets.DefaultSocketFactory"/>
>       </client-sockets>
>    </sockets>
>
>    <!-- The Thread Manager block -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- The thread manager provides thread pools for use throughout the
server. -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- A thread pool with the name "default" must be defined in this
thread manager -->
>    <!-- configuration. -->
>    <!-- -->
>    <!-- Each thread pool is defined with a "thread-group" element. -->
>    <!-- Each of these elements has the following required sub-elements:
-->
>    <!--   name - the name of the thread pool, used by other components to
-->
>    <!--          lookup the thread pool -->
>    <!--   priority - the thread priority for threads in the pool.  This is
-->
>    <!--              a value between 0 and 10, with 5 being the normal -->
>    <!--              priority and 10 being the maximum. -->
>    <!--   is-daemon - whether the threads in the pool are daemon threads.
-->
>    <!--   max-threads - the maximum number of threads allowed in the pool.
-->
>    <!--   min-threads - the minimum number of threads allowed in the pool.
(not implemented) -->

Re: Not able to run James

Posted by "Steve B." <st...@browsermedia.com>.