Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/06/04 12:43:52 UTC

[VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Hi gang,

is an optional dependency for avalon-framework on javax.servlet
acceptable, and is it thus okay to add this utility class to
avalon-framework?

+1 from me

- Leo

---

Anton Tagunov wrote:
> It is just a slightly modified ConsoleLogger. I beleive
> that such logger is just as usefull for servlet environment as
> a ConsoleLogger is usefull for startup in command-line environment.

yep.

> Where could this go?
> Fear to say that, framework? :-)))
> (Where other bootstrap loggers live.)

the only potential problem with that is that it adds a dependency on the
servlet api to the framework jar. Think we should vote ;)

> avalon-excalibur/logger?

that is another viable option :D

Re: [VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Anton Tagunov wrote:
> Hello Berin!
>
> BL> The purpose of the two loggers in the Framework API are for A debug
> I think I'm somewhere nearby "debug" - we need something to stuff to
> DefaultContainerManager before it has created a LogKitLoggerManager
> or a Log4JConfLoggerManager when we're inside a servlet don't we?
> What should it be?
>
> BL>     Do we really want a _dependency_ on servlet for Framework?
> It was Framework only because ConsoleLogger is there.
>
> How about avalon-excalibur/logger?

That would be better because there is already a Servlet dependency
there.

Re[2]: [VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
Hello Berin!

BL> The purpose of the two loggers in the Framework API are for A debug
I think I'm somewhere nearby "debug" - we need something to stuff to
DefaultContainerManager before it has created a LogKitLoggerManager
or a Log4JConfLoggerManager when we're inside a servlet don't we?
What should it be?

BL>     Do we really want a _dependency_ on servlet for Framework?
It was Framework only because ConsoleLogger is there.

How about avalon-excalibur/logger?

-Anton

Re: [VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> is an optional dependency for avalon-framework on javax.servlet
> acceptable, and is it thus okay to add this utility class to
> avalon-framework?
>
> +1 from me

-0 Keep in mind that both Log4J and LogKit have ways of outputting
    the log information to Servlets.  Do we really need a third?  The
    purpose of the two loggers in the Framework API are for A debug
    and B no output.  Do we really want a _dependency_ on servlet for
    Framework?

RE: [VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: news [mailto:news@main.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Leo Simons
>
> Hi gang,
>
> is an optional dependency for avalon-framework on javax.servlet
> acceptable, and is it thus okay to add this utility class to
> avalon-framework?
>
> +1 from me

-1

We have been trying to factor out implementations from framework -
remember Peter Donald giving the Log4J Logger to Log4J for
maintenance?

I say we put it into Excalibur/Logger instead.

/LS

withdrawn

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
I wish I had an unsend button for whole Internet :-)
The question of the vote was different, I must have overheated..

Re[6]: [VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
Hello Peter!

PR> Adding the new class to excalibur-logger is fine with me :)

It was VOTE, wasn't it? ;-)

-Anton

Re: Re[4]: [VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 09:27  AM, Anton Tagunov wrote:
> It's surely an option.
> I was considering it when I before ever creating ServletLogger.
>
> There were two reasons why I still have proposed a new class:

Adding the new class to excalibur-logger is fine with me :)
-pete

Re[4]: [VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
Hello Peter!

PR> LogKit already as a ServletOutputTarget, why not just use that?

AT> The purpose is a bit different:
AT>
AT> * FortressConfig/ContextManager create a LoggerManager
AT>   from a config file on its own
AT>
AT> * but, to do this they need a "bootstrap" logger to report,
AT>   for instance, a missing or currepted logger manager config
AT>   file

PR> Perhaps Fortress can contain two predefined (ie known good)
PR> LoggerManager configurations to use during that bootstrap process?

It's surely an option.
I was considering it when I before ever creating ServletLogger.

There were two reasons why I still have proposed a new class:

1.

If we did this we would be unable to create a Fortress servlet
application with only Log4J.jar supplied and without any
logkit.jar.

Is it worth a new class?
Would you prefer to create one more class just to retain the
purity of concept and make logkit and log4j entirely
interexchangeable in Avalon?

I would :-)

2.

The ConsoleLogger was so slim and the its simplicity was
so compelling that the I couldn't resist the temptation
to clone it.

ConsoleLogger is _very_ lightweight and very understandable.

Imagine we're setting up an example Servlet application running fortress
inside a servlet

* either as a demonstration of how Avalon rocks
  (I heard that someone was mention an Avalon Petstore ;-)

* or as a tutorial for new-bies

I beleive that

    Logger startupLogger = new ServletLogger( servletContext, ServletLogger.LEVEL_INFO );

will look far better then

    LogTarget servletTarget = new ServletOutputLogTarget( servletContext );
    Hierarchy hierarchy = new Hierarchy();
    hierarchy.setDefaultLogTarget( servletTarget );
    org.apache.log.Logger lkLogger = hierarchy.getRootLogger();
    lkLogger.setPriority( Priority.INFO );

    Logger startupLogger = new LogKitLogger( lkLogger );

And reading LogKitLoggerManager configuration from an input stream
(say ClassLoader.getResourceAsStream()) as it is in ContextManager
does not look much simplier. Those code has been frightening me
for a whole two weeks!

BTW LogKitLoggerManager itself needs a startup logger to log it's
messages.

In short, to get new-bies started with a servlet example we
will greatly benefit with a ServletLogger, they'll twice as
little classes to understand, and be 30% ;-) less frightened!

3.

For that reason LogKit already has a StreamTarget, that can be rolled
over System.out or System.err, but we still use and love :-)
ConsoleLogger for the startup purposes, don't we?

WBR, Anton

Re: Re[2]: [VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
Hello Peter!

PR> LogKit already as a ServletOutputTarget, why not just use that?

The purpose is a bit different:

* FortressConfig/ContextManager create a LoggerManager
  from a config file on its own

* but, to do this they need a "bootstrap" logger to report,
  for instance, a missing or currepted logger manager config
  file

- Anton

Re: [VOTE] ServletLogger.java into avalon-framework

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 06:43  AM, Leo Simons wrote:
> is an optional dependency for avalon-framework on javax.servlet
> acceptable, and is it thus okay to add this utility class to
> avalon-framework?
>
> +1 from me

-1

LogKit already as a ServletOutputTarget, why not just use that? The
framework.Logger is just supposed to be a facade. Lets leave the impls
to the actual logging toolkits.
-pete