Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by ma...@gmail.com on 2013/04/17 21:07:53 UTC

Using an EC2 cluster from the outside.

I have a working 3 node cluster in a single ec2 region and I need to hit it
from our datacenter. As you'd expect, the client gets the internal
addresses of the nodes back.

Someone on irc mentioned using the public IP for rpc and binding that
address to the box. I see that mentioned in an old list mail but I don't
get exactly how this is supposed to work. I could really use either a link
to something with explicit directions or a detailed explanation.

Should cassandra use the public IPs for everything -- listen, b'cast, and
rpc? What should cassandra.yaml look like? Is the idea to use the public
addresses for cassandra but route the requests between nodes over the lan
using nat?

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Re: Using an EC2 cluster from the outside.

Posted by Ben Bromhead <be...@instaclustr.com>.
Depending on your client, disable automatic client discovery and just specify a list of all your nodes in your client configuration.

For more details check out http://xzheng.net/blogs/problem-when-connecting-to-cassandra-with-ruby/ , obviously this deals specifically with a ruby client but it should be applicable to others.

Cheers

Ben
Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr