Posted to user@struts.apache.org by mraible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> on 2009/04/27 15:57:52 UTC

Upgrading AppFuse to Struts 2.1

This weekend, I attempted to upgrade AppFuse to use Struts 2.1 (formerly
using 2.0.11.1). I used the following instructions:

http://cwiki.apache.org/S2WIKI/troubleshooting-guide-migrating-from-struts-20x-to-21x.html

After completing all the steps, I was able to get everything to compile and
start. However, the upgrade seems to have failed as the following issues
still remain:

1. Users have to login for each page request.
2. Signup fails with the following error:

WARN [btpool0-3] VisitorFieldValidator.warn(45) | The visited object is
null, VisitorValidator will not be able to handle validation properly.
Please make sure the visited object is not null for VisitorValidator to
function properly
WARN [btpool0-3] Dispatcher.warn(49) | Could not find action or result
No result defined for action org.appfuse.webapp.action.SignupAction and
result input

If anyone has advice for how to fix these issues, I'd love to hear it. You
can find the JIRA issue and patch I tried at:

http://issues.appfuse.org/browse/APF-1130

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Upgrading AppFuse to Struts 2.1

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Martin Gainty wrote:
> //ping rainier as earlier suggested for a response on this opensymphony issue

Is WW even being developed anymore?

Dave

RE: Upgrading AppFuse to Struts 2.1

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

//ping rainier as earlier suggested for a response on this opensymphony issue

//Latest WW 2.2.7 distro d/l http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork/download.action

/** Copyright (c) 2002-2003 by OpenSymphony All rights reserved.*/
package com.opensymphony.webwork.showcase.validation;

//NOT xwork2..(uses legacy xwork 1.x library)
import com.opensymphony.xwork.ActionSupport;
/**
 * @author tm_jee
 *
@version $Date: 2005-12-24 17:13:49 +0800 (Sat, 24 Dec 2005) $ $Id:
AbstractValidationActionSupport.java 1856 2005-12-24 09:13:49Z tmjee $
 */
public abstract class AbstractValidationActionSupport extends ActionSupport {
    public String submit() throws Exception {
        return "success";
    }
    public String input() throws Exception {
        return "input";
    }
}

ping me offline if you need to get ahold of him
Martin
Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Note de déni et de confidentialité
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.

http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Storage2_042009

Re: Upgrading AppFuse to Struts 2.1

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by mraible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Matt-
http://cwiki.apache.org/S2WIKI/troubleshooting-guide-migrating-from-struts-20x-to-21x.html
the advice to 86 the old xwork libraries (Your application is now dependent on xwork-2.1.x) is premature

[...]

can you ping  rainerh@gmail.com to determine if webwork has patch for xwork2 available?

good catch/

http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Mobile2_042009

Re: Upgrading AppFuse to Struts 2.1

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Wes Wannemacher wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM, mraible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> wrote:
>> Yes, but I don't have actionPackages configured in web.xml, so I don't
>> believe it's enabled.
>>

> It still might be... Check this section -
> http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/convention-plugin.html#ConventionPlugin-Codebehindhelloworld
>
> Since your package is named something.action and your class is named
> SignupAction, I'll bet codebehind is picking it up...

Convention. Yeah, if the package/action naming matches up it doesn't
need to be specified in an actionPackages.

You can disable scanning or set the excludeMumble property to skip a
package.

Dave

Re: Upgrading AppFuse to Struts 2.1

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM, mraible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> wrote:

> Yes, but I don't have actionPackages configured in web.xml, so I don't
> believe it's enabled.

It still might be... Check this section -
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/convention-plugin.html#ConventionPlugin-Codebehindhelloworld

Since your package is named something.action and your class is named
SignupAction, I'll bet codebehind is picking it up...

-Wes

> Wes Wannemacher wrote:
>>
>> Matt,
>>
>> are you combining the conventions plugin with regular XML
>> configuration? Because your action is named SignupAction, which
>> conventions would pickup, but the input result doesn't appear to
>> follow the convention (it should be named signup-input.jsp). I'd poke
>> around a bit and see if conventions is picking up that class as an
>> action.
>>
>> -Wes

>>> I'm still trying to resolve this issue. The strange thing is my Struts
>>> action *does* have an input defined.
>>>
>>>        <action name="signup" class="signupAction">
>>>            <result name="cancel" type="redirect">/</result>
>>>            <result name="input">/WEB-INF/pages/signup.jsp</result>
>>>            <result name="success" type="chain">saveSignup</result>
>>>        </action>
>>>
>>> Maybe this is caused by a difference b/w 2.0.x and 2.1.x and Spring with
>>> the
>>> Convention plugin (vs. the Codebehind plugin)?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Matt
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Wes Wannemacher
>> Author - Struts 2 In Practice
>> Includes coverage of Struts 2.1, Spring, JPA, JQuery, Sitemesh and more
>> http://www.manning.com/wannemacher

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Posted by mraible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Matt,

are you combining the conventions plugin with regular XML
configuration? Because your action is named SignupAction, which
conventions would pickup, but the input result doesn't appear to
follow the convention (it should be named signup-input.jsp). I'd poke
around a bit and see if conventions is picking up that class as an
action.

-Wes

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM, mraible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> wrote:

> mraible wrote:
>>
>> This weekend, I attempted to upgrade AppFuse to use Struts 2.1 (formerly
>> using 2.0.11.1). I used the following instructions:
>>
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/S2WIKI/troubleshooting-guide-migrating-from-struts-20x-to-21x.html
>>
>> After completing all the steps, I was able to get everything to compile
>> and start. However, the upgrade seems to have failed as the following
>> issues still remain:
>>
>> 1. Users have to login for each page request.
>> 2. Signup fails with the following error:
>>
>> WARN [btpool0-3] VisitorFieldValidator.warn(45) | The visited object is
>> null, VisitorValidator will not be able to handle validation properly.
>> Please make sure the visited object is not null for VisitorValidator to
>> function properly
>> WARN [btpool0-3] Dispatcher.warn(49) | Could not find action or result
>> No result defined for action org.appfuse.webapp.action.SignupAction and
>> result input
>>
>> If anyone has advice for how to fix these issues, I'd love to hear it. You
>> can find the JIRA issue and patch I tried at:
>>
>> http://issues.appfuse.org/browse/APF-1130
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt
>>

> I'm still trying to resolve this issue. The strange thing is my Struts
> action *does* have an input defined.
>
>        <action name="signup" class="signupAction">
>            <result name="cancel" type="redirect">/</result>
>            <result name="input">/WEB-INF/pages/signup.jsp</result>
>            <result name="success" type="chain">saveSignup</result>
>        </action>
>
> Maybe this is caused by a difference b/w 2.0.x and 2.1.x and Spring with the
> Convention plugin (vs. the Codebehind plugin)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice