Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Ivan Pavlukhina <vo...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/09 06:08:55 UTC

Re: Consistency check and fix (review request)

Hi Anton,

Meanwhile can we extend a feature description from a user point of view?  It would be good to provide some use cases when it can used.

The thing that is yet understood by me is a conflict resolving. E.g. in systems inspired by Dynamo (sorry that no references, writing from phone) inconsistency is an expected system behavior and users are aware of it and choose reconciliation strategy accordingly. But in our case inconsistency is an exceptional case. And it is hard for me to imagine a case when we can resolve conflicts automatically while expecting no conflicts. Can you help me with it?

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org>.
Ivan,

1) Currently, we have idle_verify [1] feature allows us to check
consistency guarantee is still respected.
But, idle_verify has a big constraint, the cluster should be at idle mode
(no load).
This feature, actually, will do almost the same but allows you to have any
load.

2) Why we need this? Because of bugs.
For example, currently, we have issue [2] with consistency violation on
node fail under load.
The issue will be fixed, definitely, but, is there any guarantee we'll not
face with another?
This feature is a simple way allows you to check (and fix) consistency in
case you want such additional check.
Just an additional failover. Trust but check and recheck :)

3) Use cases?
There are two approaches:
- you can permanently rescan (in a cyclic way) all the entries you have,
using this feature, to make sure they are not broken (background case)
- you can use this feature on each or *-th request (foreground case)

[1]
https://apacheignite-tools.readme.io/docs/control-script#section-verification-of-partition-checksums