Posted to general@db.apache.org by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org> on 2003/11/11 20:34:03 UTC

[VOTE][PROPOSAL] proposal for the axion database sub-project

As has been long discussed here and elsewhere, the following is a proposal
for migrating the Axion database project to Apache DB.

If approved by the Apache DB PMC, it is our understanding that Axion will
then enter the incubation process.  We suggest Jason van Zyl be named the
"champion" or "sponsoring individual" (or whatever we're calling it these
days) since he is an Axion committer, an Apache DB PMC member, an ASF
member and has volunteered for the job, although a number of Axion
committers are also ASF members and hence would meet the incubator's
"champion" criteria.

Non-normatively, there is working draft of how we expect this migration to
proceed available at
<http://axion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=698>.

Proposal for Creating an Axion sub-project within the Apache DB Project

(0) Rationale and Consideration of Sub-Project Criteria

Axion is a relational database engine currently developed and released
under an Apache/BSD-like license.

While it has not yet had a formal 1.0 release, Axion is not a new project.
Axion has had three binary "milestone" releases, the first of which was
released over a year ago (9 July 2002) [1].  The project has been under
active development since early 2002 [2] and has shown regular and diverse
growth in both the development and user communities.

The Axion team has operated under meritocratic guidelines [3] similar to
and derived from those of the ASF since its inception.

The Axion project has strong personal ties to the Apache community.  Many
members of the Axion community are contributors or committers to one or
more ASF projects, serve on one or more ASF PMCs or are ASF members. [4]

The Axion project has strong technical ties to the Apache community.
Axion uses several ASF libraries [5], and as a project, has contributed
code back to those libraries where appropriate [6].  Some existing ASF
projects use or support Axion currently, others have expressed an interest
in doing so (notably the Apache Directory Project).

Similarly, many current ASF projects could advantage of a robust,
ASF-licensed Java database engine and there several projects with which
Axion could collaborate on infrastructural components.

(1) Scope

The project will create and maintain a (primarily relational) database
engine and related utilities, to be distributed under an ASF-license.

(2) Initial Source

The initial source of the project will be the material currently available
from <http://axion.tigris.org/>.  This source is currently available under
an ASF-style license, and the community has elected to migrate to an ASF
license. [7]

(3) Apache DB Resources to be Created

(3.1) Mailing Lists

* axion-dev@db.apache.org
* axion-user@db.apache.org

(perhaps others as needed)

(3.2) Version Control Repository

* cvs/db-axion on cvs.apache.org

(3.3) Web Site

* http://db.apache.org/axion/

(3.4) Other

Issue tracking (bugzilla), email archive (eyebrowse), etc. entries as
appropriate.

(4) Initial Set of Committers

The following is the current set of committers to Axion at Tigris.

* Ahimanikya Satapathy (tigris id: ahimanikya)
* Chuck Burdick (tigris id: cburdick)
* David Pekarek Krohn (tigris id: dkrohn)
* Daniel Rall (tigris id: dlr, apache id: dlr)
* Doug Sale (tigris id: dsale, apache id: dsale)
* Geir Magnusson Jr. (tigris id: geir, apache id: geirm)
* James Burke (tigris id: jburke)
* James Strachan (tigris id: jstrachan, apache id: jstrachan)
* Jason van Zyl (tigris id: jvanzyl, apache id: jvanzyl)
* Morgan Delagrange (tigris id: morgand, apache id: morgand)
* Martin Poeschl (tigris id: mpoeschl, apache id: mpoeschl)
* Rodney Waldhoff (tigris id: rwald, apache id: rwaldhoff)
* Steve Polyak (tigris id: spolyak)

Each of these folks an "inactive" or "emeritus" committer to Axion at
Apache DB.  An "inactive" committer may become "active" by (1) submitting
a signed CLA
(<http://incubator.apache.org/forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.pdf>)
to the ASF, if they haven't already and (2) notifying the Axion dev list
of their intention to become active.

(A) End Notes and Links

[1] <http://axion.tigris.org/releases/index.html>

[2] <http://axion.tigris.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=cvs>

[3] <http://axion.tigris.org/guidelines.html>

[4] Compare those with the "Developer" role or stronger at
<http://axion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectMemberList> with
<http://www.apache.org/~jim/committers.html>

[5] Currently Axion uses 8 external libraries when you include required
and optional build, test and run-time dependencies. Of these, 6 are ASF
libraries (Ant, Jakarta-Commons-Codec, Jakarta-Commons-Collections,
Jakarta-Commons-Logging, Jakarta-Regexp, Maven).

[6] Most notably, the commons-primitives component,
which was initially developed within Axion then contributed to
Jakarta-Commons, although there have been other less substantial
enhancements and contributions.

[7] See <http://axion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=697>,
<http://axion.tigris.org/servlets/BrowseList?list=dev&by=thread&from=131142>
and others.

Re: [VOTE][PROPOSAL] proposal for the axion database sub-project

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi all,

Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> As has been long discussed here and elsewhere, the following is a proposal
> for migrating the Axion database project to Apache DB.

+1

I'm happy to see Axion as a part of the db project!

Thomas
(db.apache.org PMC member)

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
+1
john mcnally

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> I'm +1 of course.

Ditto, +1.

Re: Removal from db-avail Was: [VOTE][PROPOSAL] proposal for the axion database sub-project

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
To clarify, as described at <http://db.apache.org/management.html>, "
Creation of a new subproject requires approval by 3/4 vote of the PMC.",
where in this place and time, the DB PMC is (as listed on
<http://db.apache.org/whoweare.html>) Geir, Thomas, John, Jason and
Rodney.

Other opinions are welcome, as always, but only the PMC votes are binding.

--
- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>

Re: Removal from db-avail Was: [VOTE][PROPOSAL] proposal for the axion database sub-project

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
Er, +1 on Axion not on removing Henri ;-)

-Brian

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
I'm +1 of course.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE][PROPOSAL] proposal for the axion database sub-project

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
I'll be an incubation mentor, no problemo.

- Morgan

<http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Entry+to+Incubation%0D%0A>,

<http://axion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=689>.

> [...]
> >
> > [2]

<http://axion.tigris.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=cvs>

> > [3] <http://axion.tigris.org/guidelines.html>
> >
> > [4] Compare those with the "Developer" role or
> stronger at
> >
> <http://axion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectMemberList>
> with
> > <http://www.apache.org/~jim/committers.html>
> >
> > [5] Currently Axion uses 8 external libraries when
> you include required
> > and optional build, test and run-time
> dependencies. Of these, 6 are ASF
> > libraries (Ant, Jakarta-Commons-Codec,
> Jakarta-Commons-Collections,
> > Jakarta-Commons-Logging, Jakarta-Regexp, Maven).
> >
> > [6] Most notably, the commons-primitives
> component,
> > which was initially developed within Axion then
> contributed to
> > Jakarta-Commons, although there have been other

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org

[RESULT][VOTE][PROPOSAL] proposal for the axion database sub-project

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
+1

=====