Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID> on 2017/04/10 10:36:38 UTC

Some interesting market share study

Hi folks!

Got some tweet about a Java survey today and catched a very interesting thing.

Those are the numbers from the 2016 survey (2200 votes in summary): NetBeans 5.9% (133 votes)
http://www.baeldung.com/java-ides-2016

And now the 2017 numbers (4439 votes in summary) : 12.4% (549 votes).

I can only guess what caused this heavy increase of new users.
Might it be caused by the move to real open governance?
Or something else I missed?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Some interesting market share study

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 10/04/2017 à 13:39, Geertjan Wielenga a écrit :
> Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> I personally know at least a dozen devs who seriously tried NetBeans again
>> (most moving from Idea) after the move to the ASF got announced!
>> And that's just from the few people I spoke to.
>

> I think that indeed the move to Apache is going to bring in a range of new
> developers. Really looking forward to that!

count me as one of those devs !

I just switched from Eclipse to Netbeans for my C developments. So far,
for the better (but Eclipse has always been abysmally bad when it comes
to C...).

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Some interesting market share study

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> I personally know at least a dozen devs who seriously tried NetBeans again
> (most moving from Idea) after the move to the ASF got announced!
> And that's just from the few people I spoke to.

I think that indeed the move to Apache is going to bring in a range of new
developers. Really looking forward to that!

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
I personally know at least a dozen devs who seriously tried NetBeans again (most moving from Idea) after the move to the ASF got announced!
And that's just from the few people I spoke to.
I would not underrate the impact, but ofc it might still be a sample issue.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.