Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Josh Reeves <j....@lycos.com> on 2001/09/18 18:20:45 UTC

log4j.jar under META-INF/lib

Hi everyone!

Do one really needs to put log4j.jar in META-INF/lib, so
that it's literally included into the .ear?

Seems like not. But even being under jre/lib/ext it's not seen.
Nor if it is in the CLASSPATH.

Please, advise.

Many thanks!

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp

Re: log4j.jar under META-INF/lib

Posted by Eddie <po...@hotmail.com>.
Don't put it in the META-INF/lib dir....
I gave me nightmares!!!
Even if every J2EE application get his own copy of the jar file, my
experience was that it was unpredictable which jar files it uses to log an
entry. So I ended up having different log entries spread over several log
files.
Just use one global jar file, put it somewhere of your own choise and
include it in the $ORION_HOME/config/application.xml file, and that's it.
Then define one log.properties file to which you refer in you applications.
Make one jsp/servlet that starts when Orion starts to load the log.property
settings and that's it.
It works very well as you end up with one very fast log engine that you
control through one config file. In the config file you can specify
different log files for different classes/packages.

Suc6,
Eddie