Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net> on 2006/02/09 10:45:17 UTC

Re: Broken repository. svnadmin verify and dump report a checksum mismatch.

On Thursday 19 January 2006 12:16, John Savage wrote:
> We have a number of developers that use dual CPU windows PCs for their WCs
> and there are no problems. However my issue wasn't client side, it was with
> the server running on a dual CPU system.
>
> Has anyone had any experience hosting svnserve and the repository on a dual
> CPU RAID 1 system (be it windows or otherwise)?

I've setup Subversion both under Windows and Linux with dual CPUs and RAID
subsystems.  They've both run for years with no issues.  I also host a
repository on my machine at home, which is also a dual CPU system, and I do
all of my Subversion development on it (including stress testing).  Never had
a problem.

> My experience was consistent reproducible corruption of the repository on
> the SMP system, which went away only when I moved the repository to a
> single CPU server.

I'm not sure what the deal is here.  Perhaps there is something wrong with one
of the drivers for your dual cpu system?  As a person who has written a
number of device drivers over the years, I can attest to the fact that many
writers do a lot of things wrong.

-John

RE: Broken repository. svnadmin verify and dump report a checksum mismatch.

Posted by Jojakim Stahl <jo...@jojakim.de>.
> > We have a number of developers that use dual CPU windows PCs for their
> WCs
> > and there are no problems. However my issue wasn't client side, it was
> with
> > the server running on a dual CPU system.
> >
> > Has anyone had any experience hosting svnserve and the repository on a
> dual
> > CPU RAID 1 system (be it windows or otherwise)?

We switched to a dual CPU server with RAID 5 a few days ago and had exactly
the same problem, but only once. After repairing, it did not occur any more.
We use Apache/WebDAV/SVN version 1.3.

-- Joja