Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by cfaust-dougot <cf...@doyougot.com> on 2005/05/19 20:49:02 UTC

Is mod_perl installed

Hey Stas,

I know this has been asked a ton of time and I have read everything on the site to check if MP is installed - my problem now is I have a client who has told me over and over again that mod_perl is installed - every method documented on the site says it is not (string doesn't appear in the error log, via telnet to apache or via the lwp-request method, it also doesn't appear via httpd -l.
All method above report only "Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat) configured"

The box is RH enterprise and Apache and MP2 were installed via RPM - the client called RH (to prove me wrong) and RH told him if you installed MP2 via the RH RPM then that MP2 line shouldn't appear anyplace...

I find that really hard to believe BEFORE I wasn't able find anything documented about it.. Is that true?

So I guess my question is, can it be said with 100% certainty that the "mod_perl 1.99xxxx" should show up in the error log (or those other documented methods) if its installed and configured properly?

Is there any other ways to prove its installed or not installed?

Thanks
-Chris

Re: Is mod_perl installed

Posted by "Philip M. Golllucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
cfaust-dougot wrote:
> Hey Stas,
>
> I know this has been asked a ton of time and I have read everything on
> the site to check if MP is installed - my problem now is I have a client
> who has told me over and over again that mod_perl is installed - every
> method documented on the site says it is not (string doesn't appear in
> the error log, via telnet to apache or via the lwp-request method, it
> also doesn't appear via httpd -l.
> All method above report only "Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat) configured"
>
> The box is RH enterprise and Apache and MP2 were installed via RPM - the
> client called RH (to prove me wrong) and RH told him if you installed
> MP2 via the RH RPM then that MP2 line shouldn't appear anyplace...
>
> I find that really hard to believe BEFORE I wasn't able find anything
> documented about it.. Is that true?
>
> So I guess my question is, can it be said with 100% certainty that the
> "mod_perl 1.99xxxx" should show up in the error log (or those other
> documented methods) if its installed and configured properly?
>
> Is there any other ways to prove its installed or not installed?
Is the

line in the config ?

Try looking at /server-status and /server-info if they are configured
on.

--
END

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci@p6m7g8.com 301.254.5198
Senior Developer - Liquidity Services Inc.
     http://liquidityservicesinc.com

Re: Is mod_perl installed

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@plusthree.com>.
On Thursday 19 May 2005 2:49 pm, cfaust-dougot wrote:
> The box is RH enterprise and Apache and MP2 were installed via RPM

Well, you know that's going to be a problem, right?  That RPM is ancient and
that version of mod_perl is no longer supported.

> So I guess my question is, can it be said with 100% certainty that the
> "mod_perl 1.99xxxx" should show up in the error log (or those other
> documented methods) if its installed and configured properly?

It's always possible to change things in the source, but it seems very
unlikely they would have done this for the error log message.  More likely it
is installed but not configured to actually be loaded when the server starts
up.

- Perrin

Re: Is mod_perl installed

Posted by Jay Scherrer <ja...@scherrer.com>.
Cfaust,

What does your httpd.conf file say after the modules listing?
If it says something like:
#
#load configfiles from the config directory "/etc/httpd.conf.d"
#
Include conf.d/*.conf
#
Then check there for your: perl.conf file.
Within the perl.conf file you will find:

Then look for the perl_module in /etc/httpd/modules.

This is standard placement for Redhat Linux RPMs.
I have found that I can edit this perl.conf to customize my modPerl and
directories and script aliases