Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by adam <ad...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/16 23:32:24 UTC

Problems with activemq-cpp tags in subversion

I need to backport some changes from activemq-cpp 3.3.0 into a currently
released version.  I was hoping to just do some svn diffs against release
tags, however all of the 3.2.x tags in the repository actually appear to be
copies of 3.3.0 and do not match AT ALL the downloadable source packages.

I've been looking here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/activemq-cpp/tags

None of the 3.2.x tags in here match the downloadable source.

The current 3.2.x branch is the unreleased 3.2.5.

I'm looking for any tag or revision that will give me the code that went
into the source releases for 3.2.4 or 3.2.3 or 3.2.2.  Maybe I'm being blind
and stupid, but I'm not seeing them in the repo.

Any pointers (or a release of 3.3.0 :) appreciated.

-adam

Re: Problems with activemq-cpp tags in subversion

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@fusesource.com>.
On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 12:35 -0800, adam wrote:
> The only usable test environment I can offer is 64bit linux.  However, my ops
> people are giving me trouble over the automake/conf dependencies.
>
> Anyway, the main thing I am after to backport is AMQCPP-351 and the
> supporting changes it requires (which are much more extensive).  What I need
> is the correct 'failover' behaviors for updating and maintaining peer lists
> and backup connection lists.
>
> So, the particular change to 351 is easily doable, but all it really does is
> remove BrokerInfo as a source of peers.  The other half of that I need which
> does not appear prior to 3.3.0 is the handling of the ConnectionControl
> object and the rebalancing of peer URIs in FailoverTransport.
>
> If I could get those into 3.2.5, I would be very happy.  I'm working on a
> patch, but knowing there is clean unreleased code out there already is
> maddening :)
>
> -adam

Unfortunately that fix can't go into the 3.2.x fixes branch as it would
break ABI with previous 3.2.x release libraries since it add several new
methods to various classes.

There are some things that I would like to get into v3.3.0 before its
released but if I get enough reports of stability with trunk as it
stands I could push a release there and move on to 3.4.0 for those.  If
you want to beat up trunk for a bit and see if any issues arise that
would be helpful.

Regards

--
Tim Bish
------------

Re: Problems with activemq-cpp tags in subversion

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 17:41 -0800, adam wrote:
> I'll try to give 3.3.0 a whirl as the changes I need to backport aren't
> simple.
> But we are in QA already, so its a hard sell.  Also, I can't help you with
> Windows :(

What changes / fixes are you looking to backport?

> Is there any particular test process you go through to get to release point?
> I hate rolling custom builds to production.
>
> -adam

Release testing involves running the unit and integration tests on
several different platforms and architectures (32/64bit).  Generally I
try and hit a couple flavors of Linux that have different GCC versions,
as well as VS2008 and VS2010 for windows.  When possible I like to also
get the tests all passing on Mac.

Regards

--
Tim Bish
------------

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@fusesource.com>.
On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 14:32 -0800, adam wrote:
> I need to backport some changes from activemq-cpp 3.3.0 into a currently
> released version.  I was hoping to just do some svn diffs against release
> tags, however all of the 3.2.x tags in the repository actually appear to be
> copies of 3.3.0 and do not match AT ALL the downloadable source packages.
>
> I've been looking here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/activemq-cpp/tags
>
> None of the 3.2.x tags in here match the downloadable source.
>
> The current 3.2.x branch is the unreleased 3.2.5.
>
> I'm looking for any tag or revision that will give me the code that went
> into the source releases for 3.2.4 or 3.2.3 or 3.2.2.  Maybe I'm being blind
> and stupid, but I'm not seeing them in the repo.

looks like the pom.xml in the 3.2.x tag is wrong which is causing the
maven release plugin to bork the tags.

Will see if I can correct them when time permits.

> Any pointers (or a release of 3.3.0 :) appreciated.
>
> -adam

Can't release 3.3.0 until I'm sure its working well, if you want to do
some testing and report back any issues that would be helpful.  I think
there still might be some misbehavior on windows but haven't been able
to track it down.

Going to attempt to release v3.2.5 next week if no new issues are
reported.

Regards

--
Tim Bish