Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Scott Lawrence <sl...@pingtel.com> on 2004/04/20 14:26:30 UTC

SIPfoundry projects on subversion

Just a quick note to let you all know what we're doing.

SIPfoundry.org is a new open source hosting organization established to
foster the development of new SIP (Session Initiation Protocol - the
signaling protocol for IP telephony and many other things) software and
related efforts.

We are in the process of moving over a half a million lines of code in
several new and existing open source projects into subversion, which
will be the source control system for all SIPfoundry projects.

Great tool.

--
  Scott Lawrence
  SIPfoundry.org system administrator

Re: SIPfoundry projects on subversion

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Scott Lawrence <sl...@pingtel.com> writes:
> I'm working on documenting the whole scheme and how it's configured;
> I'll post a pointer when it's done.

A lot of people will be *very* happy to see that, yes.

Thanks!

Re: SIPfoundry projects on subversion

Posted by Scott Lawrence <sl...@pingtel.com>.
On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 14:31, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Thanks for letting us know!  We're interested in hearing about your
> experiences... Hmmm, especially if you develop any user/password
> management scripts or something, that could end up in our contrib/
> area.

One of the reasons for choosing subversion is/was the administrative
aspects.  We are only supporting user access to the repositories through
apache, and are doing all authentication and access control in apache
(so repository access does not require a unix account on the server).
Anonymous access is allowed over http, and commit access requires
https.  We are doing a one-to-one mapping from projects to repositories,
and each project has a group for write access and a group for
administrative access (which right now just means that they can read the
repository backups).

So far, I've integrated the user management script by Lincoln Stein [1]
to create users & groups and let people change their own passwords.  The
next step is to use the email address data in that same database to
drive commit emails (one cost of commit access is getting the mail :-).

I'm actually using subversion for the content of most of the site.  The
/pub area is actually a subversion working copy that's automatically
checked out by a post-commit script on a repository that only project
coordinators can access (again - no one needs an account on the server
to update /pub).  The main 'www' pages are one step more sophisticated
than that - the post-commit script checks out the working copy and then
runs 'make' in it to apply an xslt transformation to the pages [2] -
that copy is visible to the maintainers (via ssl), and then an
access-controlled cgi uses rsync to copy it to the directory visible as
the main www.sipfoundry.org site.

[1] http://stein.cshl.org/~lstein/user_manage/
[2] http://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/sipfoundry.org/README

--
Scott Lawrence
  Pingtel Corp.

Re: SIPfoundry projects on subversion

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Scott Lawrence <sl...@pingtel.com> writes:
> Just a quick note to let you all know what we're doing.
>
> SIPfoundry.org is a new open source hosting organization established to
> foster the development of new SIP (Session Initiation Protocol - the
> signaling protocol for IP telephony and many other things) software and
> related efforts.
>
> We are in the process of moving over a half a million lines of code in
> several new and existing open source projects into subversion, which
> will be the source control system for all SIPfoundry projects.
>
> Great tool.

Thanks for letting us know!  We're interested in hearing about your
experiences... Hmmm, especially if you develop any user/password
management scripts or something, that could end up in our contrib/
area.

Good luck,
-Karl