Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Conway <Ri...@vega.co.uk> on 2001/12/19 10:55:38 UTC

Tomcat4 index.html redirection problem - different to 3.2.x

I have recently started using Tomcat 4.0.1 in preference to 3.2.x. I have
noticed a difference in their behaviour which is causing me some problems.

I am using Squid as a web cache. When I access a 'directory' URL, such as
http://myhost/, then Tomcat serves the index.html file it finds in this
directory. In fact I think that Tomcat is indicating a redirection to the
originator.

However, with Tomcat4 if I access the URL http://myhost/ through the Squid
cache then the index.html redirection is not successful - the browser waits
with the hourglass. If I do the same thing with a Tomcat 3.2.1 installation,
through the same Squid cache, then everything works well.

Note that the Tomcat4 http://myhost/ URL works fine if the cache is
bypassed.

There must be some difference between the way Tomcat4 and 3.2.1 are
performing the index.html redirection. Whatever Tomcat4 is doing, it is
confusing the cache.

It's possible I have mis-configured the Squid cache, but then it works OK
with Tomcat 3.2.1 and various other webservers I could lay my hands on.

Can anyone shed any light on this. Any suggestions for a way of debugging.

Thanks,
Richard.