Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org> on 2005/07/01 10:46:10 UTC

getting PROTOCOL_NOT_SUPPORTED error using IE and navigateFrame

Hi!

I'm trying to use an IE specific feature to access the slide server
directly as a webfolder from a html page. to do this I'm using the
javascript method navigateFrame. this does work with an old webdav
repository here (tomcat 4.1 + some slide 2.1 beta) but it won't work on
other systems with more recent tomcat+slide (tomcat 5.0.x and slide
2.1/slide 2.2pre1). i'm not sure whether the versions have anything to
do with the problem. it could also be something about tomcat's/slide's
configuration. i have not really been able to narrow it down.

the navigateFrame method returns "OK" for the old repository and
"PROTOCOL_NOT_SUPPORTED" for the other ones i tried. when it works i get
the webfolder view in a new window, when it does not the window (which i
created with javascript window.open) remains empty.

any ideas? anyone seen this kind of error before?

 Edmund

Re: getting PROTOCOL_NOT_SUPPORTED error using IE and navigateFrame

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.
Edmund Urbani wrote:

>Miguel Figueiredo wrote:
>

>>Hello Edmund,
>>

>>That problem is similar with one I saw in this mailing list some months
>>ago. In short, it's an M$ problem in obeying HTTP specification, and
>>stubbornness of tomcat's team to follow a slightly different behaviour where
>>HTTP spec is kind of shallow.
>>

>>If it is what I'm thinking, it's a problem with the interpretation of the
>>expect-continue http header witch, M$ sends to the server, but instead of
>>waiting for de 100-continue response, it just starts to send the body of the
>>message. When the server receives the request with expect header, and it's
>>body, the server thinks the body is another HTTP request, witch obviously is
>>not. Result: server returns PROTOCOL_NOT_SUPPORTED http code.
>>

>>How to solve this? Turn off expect-header in M$ side or keep-alive
>>connections (auch).
>>

>>Hope this helps,
>>
>>Miguel Figueiredo
>>

>Thanks, Miguel.
>
>I've been doing some packet sniffing now to see what's really going on.
>It does not look like the problem you described - at least to me it does
>not.
>the server just gets these 4 requests (server URL is
>http://halley.liland.org:8081/slide/):
>
>1. OPTIONS / HTTP/1.1
>answered with status 200
>2. GET /_vti_inf.html HTTP/1.1
>answered with 404
>3. POST /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc HTTP/1.1
>again 404 (what is the client attempting to do here????)
>4. OPTIONS /slide HTTP/1.1
>answered with 302 (redirect from "/slide" to "/slide/")
>
>that's it. nothing more from the client after it receives the redirect.
>what's really sad: not one of these requests even reaches Slide.
>
> Edmund

I have finally found a solution to this problem. The redirect-reply (to
the fourth request), that adds the trailing slash, seems to confuse the
M$ client. Tomcat4 did not issue a redirect here. So I dug into the
tomcat5 code and changed this behaviour. Works fine that way.

I think I'll also post this to the Tomcat list and propose tomcat gets
some configuration option for this.

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.