Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com> on 2021/07/19 02:03:19 UTC

HBase Quarterly report Apr-Jun 2021

Hi all,

HBase submits a report to the ASF board once a quarter, to inform the board
about project health. I'm sending the report to the user@ and dev@ mailing
lists because you are the project, and for transparency. If you have any
questions about the report or the running of the project, you can post them
to any PMC member or committer, or send an email to private@hbase.apache.org
,
which every PMC member subscribes to.

Apache HBase is an open-source, distributed, versioned, non-relational
database. Apache HBase gives you low latency random access to billions of
rows
with millions of columns atop non-specialized hardware.

hbase-thirdparty is a set of internal artifacts used by the project to
mitigate the impact of our dependency choices on the wider ecosystem.

hbase-connectors is a collection of integration points with other projects.
The initial release includes artifacts for use with Apache Kafka and Apache
Spark.

hbase-filesystem contains HBase project-specific implementations of the
Apache
Hadoop FileSystem API. It is currently experimental and internal to the
project.

hbase-operator-tools is a collection of tools for HBase operators. Now it is
mainly for hosting HBCK2.

hbase-native-client is a client library in C/C++, in its early days.

## Issues:

## Membership Data:
Apache HBase was founded 2010-04-21 (11 years ago)
There are currently 95 committers and 55 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 5:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Huaxiang Sun was added to the PMC on 2021-04-12
- Xiaolin Ha was added as committer on 2021-05-14
- Baiqiang Zhao was added as committer on 2021-07-07

## Project Activity:
Recent releases:
2.4.4 was released on 2021-06-14.
1.7.0 was released on 2021-06-12.
hbase-thirdparty-3.5.1 was released on 2021-06-07.
2.4.3 was released on 2021-06-01.
2.2.7 was released on 2021-04-11.

We discussed the time plan for releasing 3.0.0, and finally published the
first RC for the first alpha release of 3.0.0
https://s.apache.org/qehiw
https://s.apache.org/lmezw

We finally made the 2.2.7 release and EOLed the 2.2.x release line.
https://s.apache.org/dr7ml

The feature branch of changing our tracing system from HTrace to
OpenTelemetry HBASE-22120 has been merged.
https://s.apache.org/mw0ul

We discussed how to continue the work on better support object storage
https://s.apache.org/7mfr5
https://s.apache.org/f5t31

We started working to support JDK17.

We faced a critical serialization problem in 1.7.0 which could prevent
users upgrading to 2.x. The decision is to make a 1.7.1 release soon with
all the new commits to branch-1.
https://s.apache.org/a0by3

## Community Health:
- Mailing list activity:
dev@hbase.apache.org:
955 subscribers(958 in the previous quarter)
885 emails sent to list(769 in the previous quarter)

user@hbase.apache.org:
2021 subscribers(2035 in the previous quarter)
100 emails sent to list(91 in the previous quarter)

user-zh@hbase.apache.org
73 subscribers(71 in the previous quarter)
9 emails sent to list(1 in the previous quarter)

- JIRA activity:
312 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (14% increase)
247 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (-2% change)

- Commit activity:
715 commits in the past quarter (-22% decrease)
61 code contributors in the past quarter (-11% change)

- GitHub PR activity:
338 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (15% increase)
303 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (-5% change)

The community is overall healthy and we have already started the
release process for our next major release.