Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2009/03/01 16:56:26 UTC

Re: Problems with NIO

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Mark Hindess
<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Some further details on this problem. First of all, it only seems to happen
>> for a client that is connected against certain (NIO?) servers.
>
> This is quite puzzling.  I can't see why this makes any difference.  Perhaps
> it is a timing issue.

Yeah, I was merely guessing, but it might surely be timing.

> So there are at least three bugs found thanks to your latest email.
> Fixing them might take a little while since I want to have some more
> discussion of the SIGUSR2 issue[0].  If you want to track when these get
> fixed, then it might be best to raise a JIRA.

Happy to help I guess ;-). Issue added at HARMONY-6105. Also, from my
point of view, HARMONY-5924 can now be close.

/niklas

Re: Problems with NIO

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <88...@mail.gmail.com>,
Niklas Gustavsson writes:

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Mark Hindess
> <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> Some further details on this problem. First of all, it only seems
> >> to happen for a client that is connected against certain (NIO?)
> >> servers.
> >
> > This is quite puzzling. I can't see why this makes any
> > difference. Perhaps it is a timing issue.
>
> Yeah, I was merely guessing, but it might surely be timing.
>
> > So there are at least three bugs found thanks to your latest email.
> > Fixing them might take a little while since I want to have some more
> > discussion of the SIGUSR2 issue[0]. If you want to track when these
> > get fixed, then it might be best to raise a JIRA.
>
> Happy to help I guess ;-). Issue added at HARMONY-6105. Also, from my
> point of view, HARMONY-5924 can now be close.

Thanks.  I'll follow up HARMONY-5924 after the next snapshot or milestone
is available.

I should have said four bugs not three since I think I also spotted a
Sun bug too.  I notice that when I ran the test case on Sun, the strace
happened to contain:

  getsockname(0, 0x41586460, [103079215132]) = -1 ENOTSOCK (Socket operation
  on non-socket)

which really doesn't make much sense.

I'm not planning to report it. ;-)

Thanks again.

Regards,
-Mark.

[0] In the unlikely event that anyone really does care enough to look in
    to this, it occurred on Linux/x86_64 with:

      java version "1.6.0_07"
      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)