Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sujeet Singh <ki...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/23 20:31:42 UTC

Tomcat Configuration in Multi Core Systems

Hi,

I have two servers which has below configuration,

Server A has 32 GB RAM, 4  processors each of 2.8 GHz

Server B has 32 GB RAM, 116  processors each of 1.6 GHz.

Both servers has tomcat installed having same configuration.

Tomcat of server B is at least half as slow as Server A.

My question is...just by increasing the worker thread count, the performance
of
Server B can be increased or we need to do something else also?

Tomcat version is 5.5 and Java version is 5. OS used is Solaris 10 SPARC.

Thanks & Regards,
Sujeet

Re: Tomcat Configuration in Multi Core Systems

Posted by Justin Randall <ra...@hotmail.com>.
That statement is only correct if memory footprint is an issue, or if each thread allocates a lot of dynamic memory that isn't shared by other threads.  If there isn't much memory required, or if most of the data stored in memory is heavily shared, adding more memory will not increase performance.

Each processor has it's own on-die memory caches, which affect performance more than the amount of RAM all together (especially with good memory locality design).  If all threads are trying to access an object that resides in the memory local to processor 1, adding more memory won't change the fact that access to this object from other processors will require non-local memory access through CPU boundaries.

Regards,

Justin Randall
Sent from my BlackBerry device

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.