Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Albretch Mueller <lb...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/05 03:49:22 UTC

org.apache.commons.digester.Digester endElement (Q & A)

 if you find exceptions looking like this:
~
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester endElement
SEVERE: End event threw exception
  at org.apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils.invokeMethod(MethodUtils.java:216)
  at org.apache.commons.digester.SetNextRule.end(SetNextRule.java:217)
  at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.end(Rule.java:253)
  at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1222)
  at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown Source)
. . .
~
 it means what is says ;-)
~
 but what I think is wrong is that TC conf parsers apparently attempt
to parse into the comments so that if you have some not well-formed
xml inside the comments, such as:
~
<!--

    Context configuration file for the Tomcat Administration Web App

    $Id: admin.xml 288428 2002-07-23 12:12:15Z remm $

 W Box at Work:

<Context
	  docBase="C:\cmllpz\prjx\java\GWB\tc\tc-4.1.36\server\webapps\admin"

	<Logger
		  directory="C:\cmllpz\prjx\java\GWB\logs"
-->
~
 they would pick it up
~
 I was using TC 4.1.36 but I think this is a bug. After being fed a
start comment, "<!--", sequence parsers should not attempt to resume
parsing till they fully get an ending, "-->", one
~
 Or?
~
 lbrtchx

Re: org.apache.commons.digester.Digester endElement (Q & A)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
David Smith wrote:
> Thanks.
> It's an interesting problem.  It does validate against an xml validator,
> but I can't reproduce your error in my tomcat 5.5 environment.  If it's
> really an error w/ tomcat, it has to be unique to your version of
> tomcat.  Any one on this list still using tomcat 4.1 want to respond?

Works for me on Tomcat 4.1.x (latest from svn) and a 1.5.0_13 JVM on a
windows box.

As fas as I can recall (and I checked the release notes to make sure) there
haven't been any XML parsing changes in 4.1.x since 4.1.36.

Mark

Re: org.apache.commons.digester.Digester endElement (Q & A)

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Thanks.

It's an interesting problem.  It does validate against an xml validator,
but I can't reproduce your error in my tomcat 5.5 environment.  If it's
really an error w/ tomcat, it has to be unique to your version of
tomcat.  Any one on this list still using tomcat 4.1 want to respond?

--David

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Sorry but you're still posting only a partial context.xml file and it
still looks like invalid XML.  Get a XML validator and check your
files.  I know NetBeans has one built-in.  To illustrate the whole valid
vs. invalid point:

Valid xml -- note the invalid xml fragment wrapped in a comment so it
doesn't count:

<Context path="">
    <!--
      <Context path="something"
    -->
</Context>

Invalid xml -- note the begin tag is commented out leaving an end tag
w/o a begin:

<!--
<Context path="">
-->