Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com> on 2023/04/19 11:57:23 UTC

[DISCUS] Improving the Solr CLI

Hi all..   I am planning on putting some time into the Solr CLI (and related CLI tools).  I’m planning on:

* more unit and bats style tests for them to prevent regressions like SOLR-16755
* Keep upgrading them to newer patterns.  Thinking about the Jetty based Solr clients.  Using V2 api’s where possible.   Make them all work “the same” where possible.
* Close out various JIRA’s that have lingered, either fixing them, or marking them Won’t Fix.

So, a couple of questions for the community:

1) Does it make sense to have an umbrella JIRA ticket to cover this work, or just use the tickets as is?   Anything that would help folks gauge where I am in this process.

2) Are there existing CLI related JIRA’s that I should be paying specific attention?  Right now I just run this query in JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14107?jql=project%20%3D%20SOLR%20AND%20text%20~%20CLI, so I suspect I am missing tickets.    If you have a pet JIRA, please comment/update it, which will draw my attention.

3) Are there existing CLI related JIRA’s that we think are clearly Won’t Fix, or have otherwise been Overcome By Events, and we can close out now?

4) Are there any clearly pressing needs for the CLI tools that don’t have JIRA that need to be opened?

5) If it makes sense to change the command line parameters, can that be done on both main and branch_9x?   I’d like the freedom to rework some oddities in parameters, and just call them out in the appropriate upgrade notes….

Lastly, if you haven’t weighed in on https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/1568, which reorganizes the CLI related code, please do as I’d like to merge it today to open the door to the next PR ;-).

Eric

Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: [DISCUS] Improving the Solr CLI

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
I took Jason G’s advice and went ahead and created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-16757 to guide me in working on JIRAs.   If you have one that should be related to this umbrella ticket, please add it!