Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by pr...@wipro.com on 2013/02/25 15:44:59 UTC

Bulk Loading-Unable to select from CQL3 tables with NO "COMPACT STORAGE" option after Bulk Loading - Cassandra version 1.2.1

Hi All,

I am using the bulk loader program provided in Datastax website. http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/bulk-loading

I am able to load data into tables created with "COMPACT STORAGE" option and also into tables created with out this option. However, I am unable to read data from the table created without "COMPACT STORAGE" option.

I created 2 tables as below:

CREATE TABLE TABLE1(
            field1 text PRIMARY KEY,
            field2 text,
            field3 text,
            field4 text
         ) WITH COMPACT STORAGE;

CREATE TABLE TABLE2(
            field1 text PRIMARY KEY,
            field2 text,
            field3 text,
            field4 text
         );

Now, I loaded these 2 tables using the Java bulk loader program(Create SSTables and load them using SSTableloader utility).

I can read the data from TABLE1, but, when I try to read data from TABLE2, I am getting timeout from both cqlsh & cli.

[cid:E6F5CCC0-6288-4B08-B181-734EC7767C3E]

[cid:F26FB12C-0458-4CD7-9A7A-4F34333A4FCD]

Is this expected behavior, or am I doing something wrong? Can anyone please help.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Praveen

Wipro Limited (Company Regn No in UK FC 019088)
Address: Level 2, West wing, 3 Sheldon Square, London W2 6PS, United Kingdom. Tel +44 20 7432 8500 Fax: +44 20 7286 5703

VAT Number: 563 1964 27

(Branch of Wipro Limited (Incorporated in India at Bangalore with limited liability vide Reg no L99999KA1945PLC02800 with Registrar of Companies at Bangalore, India. Authorized share capital  Rs 5550 mn))

www.wipro.com

Re: Bulk Loading-Unable to select from CQL3 tables with NO "COMPACT STORAGE" option after Bulk Loading - Cassandra version 1.2.1

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
CQL 3 tables that do not use compact storage store use Composite Types , which other code may not be expecting.

Take a look at the CQL 3 table definitions through cassandra-cli and you may see the changes you need to make when creating the SSTables.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand