Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org> on 2015/03/29 16:58:45 UTC

Marketing material approval votes?

Im aware that Device Map marketing has happened and continues to happen,
even I gave a presentation a few years back. Would it make sense to hold
votes to approve said material? Presentations would be included here since
they are an effective form of marketing this project. I guess this would
only apply to DeviceMap PMC and committers.

The concern is that as this project evolves, we need to make sure that any
sort of public facing material matches the goals and reality of the
project. I hope having a vote on said material wont present too much of a
hassle but will allow for this project to better control its message.
Thoughts?

I guess if people agree, we can hold a vote on this.

Thanks!

Re: Marketing material approval votes?

Posted by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net>.

Re: Marketing material approval votes?

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Just on the web technology an important statement from several codemotion
talks I heard in Rome was, that especially Google likes to completely throw
over their own exiting projects and Open Source efforts. Shutting down
Google Code is only a side-effect. AngularJS (something to consider aside
from JVM or other programming languages btw.) 2 will be a drastic breach
with existing Angular 1 and force significant rewrite of exiting code. As
well as re-learning a lot by people working with it right now.

Many Apache projects are well-respected and trusted as foundations of
business-critical apps, not just the Web server that started it all. So
nobody keeps us or other projects from creating several branches, but
unlike the Googles (or WURFLs) we should not throw everything away that was
there or even hide it from existing users.

As for the migration from OpenDDR to DeviceMap it may not yet give the same
number of results in GitHub (12 repositories for "OpenDDR", 5 for
"DeviceMap") but aside from mostly contributions by Radu, there's this
Clojure port/wrapper: https://github.com/timgalebach/clj-devicemap I am
listed for Clojure, when I can I'll give it a try, but especially for
more/new languages we may try to gather support by those who use a language
in question more than some of us. E.g. compared to Java, Groovy or some
.NET I also don't have as many lines of code in say Clojure or Scala under
my belt as others.

Werner

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...is it safe to plow forward with 2.0? In my view, nothing has changed....

I have no idea if it's safe in terms of your involvement or of taking
over the world, but if you're willing to make 2.0 happen here, go for
it!

If others want to work on different modules, ex-OpenDDR stuff or
whatever, there are ways for these things to live their own parallel
or divergent trajectories here.

-Bertrand

Re: Marketing material approval votes?

Posted by Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Reza Naghibi <re...@apache.org>.
I understand and I am in total agreement with your points above. I think we
definitely need more visibility into the marketing aspect of DeviceMap
presentations.

So on another note, maybe I should lay out some of my frustrations which
led to this thread...

I guess I still have lingering concerns regarding this project. I have been
thinking about them more and more and I will continue to think about them
in the coming months. Basically, do we have the right PMC in place to
properly foster and guide this project? This has more to do with the future
and 2.0 than it does our current releases and path.

For me, in my mind, 2.0 is a big step forward and finally a chance to get
things correct (this summer will be 4 years of working on OpenDDR and
DeviceMap). Having this clean separation between pattern data and pattern
matching is key and will open the door to many great things. But as the
pieces for 2.0 are coming together, Im seeing the problems. Would we really
be getting things correct if we ignored something as important as the
project foundation?

If there was a way to reboot, maybe re-enter the incubator and reform the
PMC, I would do that in a second. Just not sure what is feasible given the
effort it took to get to this point. Maybe spin off a new project? Will
this project stay on Apache? These are all possibilities in my mind.

As for the examples of why I have these concerns, just look at JIRA,
mailing list, SVN, etc... I just see problems. Focus, technology, software
practices, direction. Rarely can any future looking statement be left alone
without some kind of comment saying that the old way is better. Maybe im
just tired and seeing things, who knows.

Anyway, I have some more thinking to do and hopefully by the time 1.0.3
gets released, it will be more clear what direction 2.0 will take.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 4:06 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
The most official one would be ApacheCon talks of course. Where approval
came by the wider community (program committee of ApacheCon;-)
Do you mean linking to existing slide decks like SlideShare or adding e.g.
PDFs to download.
Happy to share at the very least the ACE slides. Codemotion ones evolved,
e.g. DeviCeMap now graduated but a large portion of slides is not so
different.