Posted to user@oodt.apache.org by David Kale <da...@cs.stanford.edu> on 2011/03/08 23:13:58 UTC

Looking to hire an "OODT Engineer" (i.e., data systems architect)

Hey OODT devs and users,

My research group at Children's Hospital Los Angeles is hiring software
developers to work specifically with OODT.  This is an ideal position for
anyone passionate about open source and data management and who wants to
work on a high impact project (in particular one that has the potential to
transform health care in the US).  This person will also have the chance to
work directly with the team from JPL and to build something from the ground
up.

Further details about the position at the bottom of this email.  Feel free
to share this with friends, other lists, etc.  Interested parties should
inquire or email their resume to Dave Kale at dkale@chla.usc.edu.

gratefully,
Dave

------

The Virtual Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (VPICU) at CHLA is hiring software
engineers!

The US is pouring billions of dollars into the health industry to drive
migration to electronic health records (EHRs).  Recent studies into the
connection between EHR adoption and quality of care reveal that we have
little to show for our investment -- except increasingly large and rich
collections of health data, which often sit underutilized in fragmented,
proprietary stores.  The VPICU wants to put this data to work to
revolutionize the care delivered at the bedside.  We have significant
funding and are in the midst of a multi-year, NLM-funded project focused on
managing and analyzing large amounts of medical research data across
institutional boundaries.

In particular, we are working closely with the data systems group from the
NASA Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL) to adapt and deploy the Apache Object Oriented
Data Technology (OODT) suite (http://oodt.apache.org) for the creation and
management of a dynamic clinical data repository.  The prototype system will
be deployed at CHLA immediately and at a second site before the end of
summer 2011; eventually we plan to deploy it at over a hundred pediatric
centers, creating a nationally distributed research data sharing network
that manages data from hundreds of thousands of patient encounters.

This is an awesome opportunity for the right candidate to

* Contribute to a high-impact project that can change the way medicine is
practiced
* Meet and network with thought leaders from a variety of industries and
fields
* Have the freedom to experiment with bleeding edge technologies in a unique
data domain
* Build high-demand skill sets (data management, Hadoop, NOSQL, etc.) under
the tutelage of experts at JPL
* Contribute to an up‐and‐coming top‐level Apache project
* Publish papers and lay the groundwork for future academic work
* Learn about the health care industry from the inside

We are looking for developers with strong Java skills and basic knowledge of
database systems.  Full-time applicants should have a minimum of a
Bachelor's degree in CS (or related) and experience with large collaborative
projects, either in school or professionally.  The most important qualities
we seek are the ability to thrive in an unstructured, collaborative
environment with minimal direct supervision and the desire to building
something (not simply draw a paycheck).