Posted to adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Hannum <dh...@quovadx.com> on 2006/10/10 20:09:48 UTC

Can I override the required validator?

Disclaimer: I'm still on an old ADF build planning on upgrading to
Trinidad but haven't yet. If this has since been fixed, please let me
know, and it'll be another reason to bite the bullet.

I love client-side validation, but I hate the ADF/Trinidad obnoxious
alert boxes that pop up. For some validations I think (it was a while
ago) I figured out that I could write my own validator (not a built-in
Trinidad one) and along with autoSubmit/partialTriggers, I could get my
<message> tags to update before the user submits. Very nice,
non-intrusive. Life is beautiful.

But for 'required' fields, I'm lost. Empty fields don't go through
validation AFAIK, so I can't write my own validator, but the built-in
Trinidad validator for required fields throws up the alert boxes. So my
options are:

1.	Use Trinidad controls and deal with the alert boxes that are
forced on me
2.	Use non-Trinidad controls and do without client-side validation

What I want to do is plug in a less-intrusive required validator. Can
this be done?

Thanks

Dan