Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Engelmann Florian <fl...@everyware.ch> on 2017/04/04 09:13:02 UTC

KVM + CLVM and Snapshots

Hi,

as the cloudstack documentation explains CLVM is not supported with Cloudstack:

"The use of the Cluster Logical Volume Manager (CLVM) for KVM is not officially supported with CloudStack."

http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.9/storage_setup.html

We would like to change our hypervisor from Xenserver to KVM but we have no idea how to use ScaleIO with KVM without using CLVM?

The question is - why isn't CLVM supported? Is it because of snapshots are not allowed on clustered VGs?

Any idea how to use ScaleIO with KVM as shared storage?

All the best,
Florian

EveryWare AG
Florian Engelmann
Systems Engineer
Zurlindenstrasse 52a
CH-8003 Zürich

T  +41 44 466 60 00
F  +41 44 466 60 10

florian.engelmann@everyware.ch
www.everyware.ch

Re: KVM + CLVM and Snapshots

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
We run Ceph and we've been very happy with it.

________________________________
Posted by Yura Poltoratskiy <yu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

As for me personally, I also want to use ScaleIO as a storage (with Ceph
I have bad performance) and have decided to switch to OpenStack just
because there is a native support ScaleIO there.

04.04.2017 18:28, Engelmann Florian \u043f\u0438\u0448\u0435\u0442:

Re: KVM + CLVM and Snapshots

Re: KVM + CLVM and Snapshots

Re: KVM + CLVM and Snapshots

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Florian,

I’ve spent quite a bit of time getting CLVM to work with KVM (in this case on CentOS6+7) – and my experience is it’s not fit for purpose, suffering a lot of stability issues. I do know there are others in the community who may have got this to work in the past, so interested to hear other people’s experiences.

Wrt ScaleIO – not played with so can’t comment.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue