Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/22 22:13:12 UTC

[GSOC2014] Acceptance of three projects for CloudStack

I am pleased to announce the acceptance of three google summer of code projects for Apache CloudStack in summer 2014.

Our three students are:

-Ian Duffy (back for one more round), who will work on a vagrant/puppet/travis configuration to improve on devcloud.
-Darren Brogam, who will improve the GCE and AWS interfaces (that has he has co-authored)
-Seif Eddine Jemli, who will develop a new UI for Primary Storage plug-ins

Mike Tutkowski will mentor Seif, while I will mentor Ian and Darren.

Join me in congratulating our three stars of gsoc 2014 !

-Sebastien

Re: [GSOC2014] Acceptance of three projects for CloudStack

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
I should also note that I was on the phone just today with someone asking
for the feature that Seif will be working on and have heard this request
several times before from others, so it'll be a highly desired feature for
them.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com
o: 303.746.7302
Advancing the way the world uses the
*(tm)*

Re: [GSOC2014] Acceptance of three projects for CloudStack

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.

> Can I twist your arm to try to use Chef.
> Mainly because we seem to have more folks using Chef than Puppet and
> because we can get help from Chef to optimize the recipes.
> The idea being that once this is all working in a multi-VM setup, users
> could use the recipes in a production setup.

No problem.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.

Posted by Dave Scott <Da...@citrix.com>.
Hi Sebastian,

On 28 Apr 2014, at 09:02, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2014, at 2:07 PM, Dave Scott <Da...@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 25 Apr 2014, at 17:41, Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the congratulations! Looking forward to putting more time
>>> into Cloudstack.
>>>
>>> My project in brief involves re-creating devcloud using vagrant and
>>> provisioning them with puppet. There's a full proposal at
>>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2014/imduffy15/5662278724616192
>>> for anybody interested.
>>
>> I think this will be really good!
>>
>>> I've started doing a small amount of work on it. As stated in the
>>> proposal I'm going to be using xenserver. I read up on doing
>>> unattended installations with xenserver and created a packerfile for
>>> creating the box file https://github.com/imduffy15/packer-xenserver
>>
>> By coincidence Jon Ludlam (cc:d) and I have started working on something similar — maybe we can collaborate. Our goal was to be able to create vagrant definitions (or similar) that we could glue together like lego, to make development environments with (e.g.) multiple xenservers to test migration and environments with both xen and kvm to test interop, while being able to run the management server locally for ease of debugging… well that’s the dream anyway :-)
>>
>> Jon created a xenserver-6.2-sp1 vagrant box (manually) and uploaded it to vagrant cloud:
>>
>> https://vagrantcloud.com/jonludlam/xenserver-6.2-sp1
>>
>> (It looks like your packerfile should cleanly automate the production of this — is that right?)
>>
>> I created a very simple ‘infrastructure’ VM which contains mysql, NFS for primary and secondary and NAT/DNSMASQ so it can act as the gateway for the nested guests:
>>
>> https://github.com/djs55/cloudstack-dev-vms/tree/master/cloudstack-infrastructure
>>
>> and I customised Jon’s box to switch to bridge, fiddle with networking settings etc:
>>
>> https://github.com/djs55/cloudstack-dev-vms/tree/master/xenserver-6.2
>
> @Dave, this is a bit strange. I am pretty sure CloudStack works with OVS on XS because that's how we do the GRE tunnels for the native SDN controller.

Hm, good point. Maybe this was when I was using an old CloudStack branch. Anyway, I’m on master now :-) so I’ll try switching back to OVS!

>> and I’ve got a marvin/deployDatacenter config:
>>
>> https://github.com/djs55/cloudstack-dev-vms/blob/master/datacenter.cfg
>>
>> Using virtualbox on OSX I can ‘vagrant up’ the infrastructure VM, ‘vagrant up’ the xenserver and then run the management server locally… just about. There are still lots of rough edges like
>>
>> 1. I think I need to do something to ensure the management server uses a sensible IP address; since I’m running it on the host for ease of development, there are about 10 different IPs it could choose
>
> in your config file you should be able to define an IP for the mgt server that is on the same host only network as the VMs.

OK

>> 2. When switching between cloudstack branches I need to download a matching system VM template. I was wondering if I could auto-download the right template directly into NFS secondary storage on the infrastructure VM. I keep forgetting to do this and it’s very annoying!
>
> Don't know about this one. You can pressed the templates for sure, but if you are trying to switch from cloudstack release branches to another 4.1 to 4.3 for instance, this may mess up your install anyway. It would be good to cache the various ssvm locally, where you can fetch them faster.

Yeah, locally caching a few templates would be handy. Hopefully I’ve not been using up too much of jenkins.buildacloud.org’s bandwidth!

Thanks for the tips!
Dave

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Scott <Da...@citrix.com>.
Hi,

On 25 Apr 2014, at 17:41, Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for the congratulations! Looking forward to putting more time
> into Cloudstack.
>
> My project in brief involves re-creating devcloud using vagrant and
> provisioning them with puppet. There's a full proposal at
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2014/imduffy15/5662278724616192
> for anybody interested.

I think this will be really good!

> I've started doing a small amount of work on it. As stated in the
> proposal I'm going to be using xenserver. I read up on doing
> unattended installations with xenserver and created a packerfile for
> creating the box file https://github.com/imduffy15/packer-xenserver

By coincidence Jon Ludlam (cc:d) and I have started working on something similar — maybe we can collaborate. Our goal was to be able to create vagrant definitions (or similar) that we could glue together like lego, to make development environments with (e.g.) multiple xenservers to test migration and environments with both xen and kvm to test interop, while being able to run the management server locally for ease of debugging… well that’s the dream anyway :-)

Jon created a xenserver-6.2-sp1 vagrant box (manually) and uploaded it to vagrant cloud:

https://vagrantcloud.com/jonludlam/xenserver-6.2-sp1

(It looks like your packerfile should cleanly automate the production of this — is that right?)

I created a very simple ‘infrastructure’ VM which contains mysql, NFS for primary and secondary and NAT/DNSMASQ so it can act as the gateway for the nested guests:

https://github.com/djs55/cloudstack-dev-vms/tree/master/cloudstack-infrastructure

and I customised Jon’s box to switch to bridge, fiddle with networking settings etc:

https://github.com/djs55/cloudstack-dev-vms/tree/master/xenserver-6.2

and I’ve got a marvin/deployDatacenter config:

https://github.com/djs55/cloudstack-dev-vms/blob/master/datacenter.cfg

Using virtualbox on OSX I can ‘vagrant up’ the infrastructure VM, ‘vagrant up’ the xenserver and then run the management server locally… just about. There are still lots of rough edges like

1. I think I need to do something to ensure the management server uses a sensible IP address; since I’m running it on the host for ease of development, there are about 10 different IPs it could choose

2. When switching between cloudstack branches I need to download a matching system VM template. I was wondering if I could auto-download the right template directly into NFS secondary storage on the infrastructure VM. I keep forgetting to do this and it’s very annoying!

3. I don’t know how best to spawn multiple xenservers, manage their IPs, add them to the cloud etc. The deployDatacenter .json format seems to be being actively developed, so now the one in the repo only works with cloudstack/master. Maybe this is where puppet comes in?

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.
Hi All,

Posted by Rajesh Battala <ra...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Seif Eddine Jemli <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone!
Well, I am a "Computer science" student who is interested in Cloud
Computing in general. I'll be working on a new UI for the primary storage
plugins.
As Mike said, many people are asking for this feature : It's really
encouraging to know that you are doing something useful!

You can take a look at my proposal, and I am all ears to any comment or
suggestion  :
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2014/sjemli/5629499534213120

This will be my first year involved in Google Summer of Code, so I am
looking forward to your help and support.
I hope it will be a great coding summer!
__
Seif

Re: [GSOC2014] Acceptance of three projects for CloudStack

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Welcome back and congrats!

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>.
Congratulations, Ian, Darren and Seif!

-Alena.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [GSOC2014] Acceptance of three projects for CloudStack

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <tu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 22.04.2014 21:13, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the acceptance of three google summer of
> code projects for Apache CloudStack in summer 2014.
>
> Our three students are:
>
> -Ian Duffy (back for one more round), who will work on a
> vagrant/puppet/travis configuration to improve on devcloud.
> -Darren Brogam, who will improve the GCE and AWS interfaces (that has
> he has co-authored)
> -Seif Eddine Jemli, who will develop a new UI for Primary Storage
> plug-ins
>
> Mike Tutkowski will mentor Seif, while I will mentor Ian and Darren.
>
> Join me in congratulating our three stars of gsoc 2014 !

Congratulations everyone, looking forward to seeing the improved
functionality in ACS. :-)

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro