Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2010/07/14 22:29:16 UTC

Re: nclusion of the rxtx lib in released packages ...

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yesterday, while checking the released packages, I found that the rxtx lib
> was included into them. This is bad. We must get this lib out of our
> packages.

Sorry for the late reply on this. Do we need to take any action on our
already released packages?

/niklas

Re: nclusion of the rxtx lib in released packages ...

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny
<el...@apache.org> wrote:
> Well, we can launch a vote, sure, but it should remain RC1, IMO.

Cool, I'll create some "clean" packages tomorrow and open a vote
unless someone beats me to it.

/niklas

Re: nclusion of the rxtx lib in released packages ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
  On 7/14/10 10:57 PM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny
> <el...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> As the M4, M5..., RC1 are just intermediate milestones, I think we should
>> just produce a RC1 without the lib (because we might have a regression in
>> 2.0), and remove the previous jars
> So, remove the JAR for the RC1 release package, and delete the old
> packages. Fine by me. Should we call a vote on the edited files?
> Perhaps even call it RC2.

Well, we can launch a vote, sure, but it should remain RC1, IMO.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: nclusion of the rxtx lib in released packages ...

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 7/18/10 8:30 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> As the M4, M5..., RC1 are just intermediate milestones, I think we should just produce a RC1 without the lib (because we might have a regression in 2.0), and remove the previous jars
> IMO, all these M4, M5..., RC1 stuff is just plain silly.   We should release and come out with patches.
I disagree. When you are in a middle of a refactoring, with many
features being added, and you want to have the opportunity to modify the
API, then releasing means you don't respect users. They trust a release
to be stable - ie, the API does not change, at least not too often -.
RCx are a bit more questionnable though. Here, I would rather release
bug fix versions.

However, MINA is a very special case, as it's an API, not a product. I
fully agree with Alan for products like ftpServer, or Vysper, where the
API is quite defined already.

Anyway, we should release 2.0, that's for sure ! It's just a matter of
finding the time to do so, and on my side, it's difficult atm. There was
one little last problem I tried to fix : we needed to redesign the way
we release in Maven, as it was broken. I started to do so, defining a
new module (distribution) but it's not completed yet.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: nclusion of the rxtx lib in released packages ...

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:

> On 7/14/10 10:47 PM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Niklas Gustavsson
>> <ni...@protocol7.com>  wrote:
>>> Do we know how far back it is included?
>> Checked it myself, affected releases are 2.0.0-M4 and newer. How about
>> for a simple fix, we simple delete the JAR in question from the
>> release packages?
> As the M4, M5..., RC1 are just intermediate milestones, I think we should just produce a RC1 without the lib (because we might have a regression in 2.0), and remove the previous jars

IMO, all these M4, M5..., RC1 stuff is just plain silly.   We should release and come out with patches.

Regards,
Alan

Re: nclusion of the rxtx lib in released packages ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
  On 7/14/10 10:29 PM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<el...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> yesterday, while checking the released packages, I found that the rxtx lib
>> was included into them. This is bad. We must get this lib out of our
>> packages.
> Sorry for the late reply on this. Do we need to take any action on our
> already released packages?

Good question...