Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Sam Taylor Steyer <ss...@stanford.edu> on 2014/06/04 16:45:14 UTC

Trouble launching EC2 Cluster with Spark

Hi,

I am trying to launch an EC2 cluster from spark using the following command:

./spark-ec2 -k HackerPair -i [path]/HackerPair.pem -s 2 launch HackerCluster

I set my access key id and secret access key. I have been getting an error in the "setting up security groups..." phase:

Invalid value 'null' for protocol. VPC security groups must specify protocols explicitly.

My project partner gets one step further and then gets the error

The key pair 'JamesAndSamTest' does not exist.

Any thoughts as to how we could fix these problems? Thanks a lot!
Sam

Re: Trouble launching EC2 Cluster with Spark

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sam,

You mentioned two problems here, did your VPC error message get fixed
or only the key permissions problem?

I noticed we had some report a similar issue with the VPC stuff a long
time back (but there is no real resolution here):
https://spark-project.atlassian.net/browse/SPARK-1166

If that's still an issue, one thing to try is just changing the name
of the cluster. We create groups that are identified with the cluster
name, and there might be something that just got screwed up with the
original group creation and AWS isn't happy.

- Patrick

Posted by Sam Taylor Steyer <ss...@stanford.edu>.

Posted by Krishna Sankar <ks...@gmail.com>.
chmod 600 <path>/FinalKey.pem

Posted by Sam Taylor Steyer <ss...@stanford.edu>.

Posted by Krishna Sankar <ks...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gianluca Privitera <gi...@studio.unibo.it>.
Hi,
if you say you correctly setted your access key id and secret access key
then probably it's a problem related to the key.pem file.
Try generate a new one, and be sure to be the only one with the right to
read it or it wont work.
Gianluca