Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matthew Claridge <mc...@rwa-net.co.uk> on 2006/05/11 13:55:19 UTC

[users@httpd] Proxy errors

Hi,

I'm seeing the following in my apache error log:

proxy: Error reading from remote server

But I'm having trouble tying it up to a request in the access log and
also having problem diagnosing the exact fault. Can I therefore ask a
few questions?

1. We use mod_proxy as part of a whole pile of URL rewriting we do. I
*think* the proxy is timing out during the rewriting process, possibly
because Apache gets busy. We also limit the bandwidth on this site so
that might be causing the timeout. Does this seem a reasonable
explanation? Or does anyone else have any other ideas?

2. Another possibility is that a lot of our pages make http requests to
external services behind the scenes, before returning to the user. If
these external services fail to respond, this may also cause the proxy
timeout. Comments?

3. I have ProxyErrorOverride turned on, but does this error have an
associated HTTP 1.1 status code that I can trap and then give a better
error? I don't see anything in the access logs, but that might be
because its trapped inside mod_rewrite.

4. When this error occurs, it doesn't seem to be either <Timeout> or
<ProxyTimeout> after the request is made. My understanding is that this
error occurs because the proxy times out, but which timeout value is it
supposed to use?

cheers
Matt
--