Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Tomas Restrepo <to...@devdeo.com> on 2007/01/08 16:07:42 UTC

Authentication in .NET Client

Hi guys,

I think it was Carl Trieloff who mentioned in a past exchange that he
believed the .NET client still lacked proper authentication support. Looking
at the code, it seems it does have some very simple support: a hardcoded
implementation of the PLAIN mechanism in the ConnectionStartMethodHandler
class, but lacks real SASL support as defined by the spec (and thus is
missing some other schemes, including the AMQPLAIN scheme implemented in the
java broker and client).

If no one else is working on it, and it's something that would be useful,
I'd like to tackle this. It seems to me this is what is needed:

- A basic SASL client here with pluggable mechanisms
- Implement the AMQPLAIN client mechanism like in the java broker/client
- Implement a callback handler (or whatever mechanism needed) to pass the
username/password configured in the protocol session to the SASL client as
needed.
- Hook the sasl client library into the protocol session
(AMQProtocolSession)
- Hook the authentication into the ConnectionStartMethodHandler and
ConnectionSecureMethodHandler classes as needed.

Anything else I'm missing?
Regarding the first step, there's no built-in SASL support in .net that I'm
aware of, so this would mean either creating a simple implementation as part
of the project or use an existing one from another open source project (any
ideas?).

Any comments would be appreciated!

Tomas Restrepo
tomas.restrepo@devdeo.com