Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Lewars, Mitchell (EM, PTL)" <mi...@penske.com> on 2005/06/15 17:48:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Help! MaxClients Using Apache 2 For ReverseProxy

We have been hitting MaxClients on one of our Apache 2.0 servers,
running on RedHat.
The biggest difference between this web server and any others that we
have is that it uses mod_proxy to reverse proxy a bunch of urls to
different backend web servers.
This web site does less than a third of the traffic that our other web
servers handle daily. The only significant difference is reverse
proxying.
We have tried making changes to our configuration and even recompiling
but we can't seem to resolve the issue.
I have listed our build and compile options below.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
-Mitch
Server version: Apache/2.0.52
CPPFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -funroll-loops"; export CPPFLAGS
"./configure" \
"--prefix=/opt/apache/" \
"--with-mpm=worker" \
"--enable-deflate" \
"--enable-ssl" \
"--with-ssl=/usr/bin/" \
"--enable-modules=all" \
"--enable-mods-shared=all" \
"--enable-module=so" \
"--enable-module=expires" \
"--enable-module=rewrite" \
"--enable-module=include" \
"--enable-nonportable-atomics=yes" \
"--enable-module=rewrite" \
"--enable-proxy" \
"--enable-proxy-connect" \
"--enable-proxy-ftp" \
"--enable-proxy-http" \
"--with-ldap" \
"--enable-ldap" \
"--with-auth-ldap" \
"--enable-auth-ldap" \
"--with-apache=/var/tmp/apache/httpd-2.0.52/httpd-2.0.52" \
"$@"
Compiled in modules:
core.c
worker.c
http_core.c
mod_so.c

Re: [users@httpd] Help! MaxClients Using Apache 2 For ReverseProxy

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/15/05, Lewars, Mitchell (EM, PTL) <mi...@penske.com> wrote:
> We have been hitting MaxClients on one of our Apache 2.0 servers,
> running on RedHat.
> The biggest difference between this web server and any others that we
> have is that it uses mod_proxy to reverse proxy a bunch of urls to
> different backend web servers.
> This web site does less than a third of the traffic that our other web
> servers handle daily. The only significant difference is reverse
> proxying.
> We have tried making changes to our configuration and even recompiling
> but we can't seem to resolve the issue.
> I have listed our build and compile options below.
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

It shouldn't be surprising that an architecture where two servers have
to touch every request is going to be slower than an architecture
where a single server touches the content.  Your proxy server could be
slow because the back-end servers are slow, or simply because of the
extra work in being a proxy.  One way to speed things up, if your
content is cachable, is to cache stuff on the proxy.

But, in general, you haven't given us much to go on in trying to help
you other than saying "my server is slow".

Joshua.