Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by "rudi@je-more.de" <ru...@je-more.de> on 2008/02/11 18:33:54 UTC

Debugging with NetBeans?

Hi Anybody!

In my Company we work with Netbeans 6 developing Java Software (we
cannot change it to Eclipse or somewhat else).
We are Working with ANT-Build Scripts, deploying Agains the Server *.EAR
Files but the Deployment allways
takes some Time for Packaging and Distribution and Debugger cannot used
(thadts bad for me).

My simple Question is:

How can i debug Enterprise Java Beans with Netbeans 6.x?
How can i do faster Roundtrip (Distribute&Run) Cycles with Netbeans 6.x?
Is the Netbeans PlugIn right now production Ready?

Thx for to all,
Rudi

Re: Debugging with NetBeans?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:33 AM, rudi@je-more.de wrote:

> Hi Anybody!
>
> In my Company we work with Netbeans 6 developing Java Software (we
> cannot change it to Eclipse or somewhat else).
> We are Working with ANT-Build Scripts, deploying Agains the Server
> *.EAR Files but the Deployment allways
> takes some Time for Packaging and Distribution and Debugger cannot
> used (thadts bad for me).
>
> My simple Question is:
>
> How can i debug Enterprise Java Beans with Netbeans 6.x?
> How can i do faster Roundtrip (Distribute&Run) Cycles with Netbeans
> 6.x?

There are a couple of things you can  do to reduce copying.  One is
deploying an (exploded) ear using --inPlace: this will avoid copying
the entire .ear into the geronimo repository during deployment.  You
might also be able to split up the ear into modules and use
dependencies between them to  get the same effective classloader
structure; redeploying a module rather than an ear is likely to be
faster.  Also you might be able to package many of your classes into
jars and install them separately into the geronimo repository and use
dependencies from your ear modules to these jars: then replacing the
jar and restarting your app will pick up the changed classes.

hope this helps.... I have no information at all about netbeans.

david jencks

Re: Debugging with NetBeans?

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Feb 11, 2008 2:26 PM, rudi@je-more.de <ru...@je-more.de> wrote:

> Can you give pls some Keywords about this Topic? Does it means the
> Remote Debuggerof the JDK
> can establish a Debugg "Remote" Pipeline to Geronimo (iam guessing there
> is a Remote Debugger, but iam not sure :-) )

That's exactly what I meant. You can run Geronimo or any other Java
app (not necessarily application server) with JPDA and trace it.

> Is the Maven PlugIn Productionready?

Yes (unless my view of "Production ready" is different than yours ;-))

> It allways takes some Time for Packaging and deploying against Geronimo.

Is it not the case for other app servers too? Just asking before I
made any judgments.

> Maybe the Netbeans Plugin can use in Future Shared Memory Access for
> making things
> faster. I have noticed thadts IntelliJ IDEA's  Workbench and the
> Debugger can communicate with
> Shared Memory anstead of TCP Sockets and this definately makes
> Debuggingstuff faster!

That's JPDA feature where you can specify port or shared memory.
Nothing to do with app servers really.

> I really dont know, iam not familar with programming Netbeans PlugIns as
> well, but if you think i
> can do some Stuff then let me know.

I let you know. I'm not familiar with NetBeans plugins development too
and that's the main reason to be so slowly progressing with it. I'm a
fan of javaee5 development, but doing the stuff to run my apps takes
too much time for me. I'd be happy if you could take a look at what
we've got so far in the geronimo netbeans plugin's repo
(https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/geronimo-netbeans-plugin),
build it and see what's in and the last but not least comment on it.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Debugging with NetBeans?

Posted by "rudi@je-more.de" <ru...@je-more.de>.
> The only option I can think of would be to run Geronimo with JPDA
> enabled (-agentlib:jdwp) and use Netbeans's debugger. It should work
> fine.

Can you give pls some Keywords about this Topic? Does it means the
Remote Debuggerof the JDK
can establish a Debugg "Remote" Pipeline to Geronimo (iam guessing there
is a Remote Debugger, but iam not sure :-) )

>> How can i do faster Roundtrip (Distribute&Run) Cycles with Netbeans 6.x?
>>
> You mean while developing enterprise apps? If so, you may want to use
> maven plugin for Geronimo and Netbeans together and deploy/undeploy
> from within Netbeans. It should work too (would be a good addition to
> Geronimo's doc set).

Is the Maven PlugIn Productionready?
The Other Thing: Speed up on Deployment:

It allways takes some Time for Packaging and deploying against Geronimo.
I started thinking about creating a Ramdisk where Geronimo runs and the
Packaging Tasks will
be performed (ANT-Build Output) for faster Roundtrip Development (for
testing only)!

Maybe the Netbeans Plugin can use in Future Shared Memory Access for
making things
faster. I have noticed thadts IntelliJ IDEA's  Workbench and the
Debugger can communicate with
Shared Memory anstead of TCP Sockets and this definately makes
Debuggingstuff faster!

>> Is the Netbeans PlugIn right now production Ready?
>>
> Unfortunatelly not. Noone's working on it as much as it deserves (I'm
> the only one who worked on it and am trying to get to it again, but
> don't know how it will eventially work out). Wanna help?
>
> Jacek

I really dont know, iam not familar with programming Netbeans PlugIns as
well, but if you think i
can do some Stuff then let me know.

Greets Rudi

Re: Debugging with NetBeans?

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Feb 11, 2008 9:33 AM, rudi@je-more.de <ru...@je-more.de> wrote:

> My simple Question is:

You bet! All of the simple questions I have recently run into became
tough ones eventually ;-)