Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Kean Johnston <ke...@armory.com> on 2007/02/14 21:34:38 UTC

svn and dates

Hi All,

I saw something about this go by a few weeks back but at the time I didn't
care and deleted the thread, but I have a quick question about how file
dates / timestamps are treated in SVN. Is is possible to have svn treat
a date change to a file as a substantive change (i.e. update the actual
repository if just the date has changed on a file, where the contents
are the same)? I would like to check in untarred source archives that
have configure and configure.in thingies, and where things like automake
or autoconf will be run, which will result in many Makefile.in's remaining
the same except that their timestamps change. I dont want the autotools
to be required on all build systems, so I want developers to be able to
extract a tree and build, which wont be possible if the timestamp changes
are not recorded.

Thank you for any information.

Kean

--
"Almost all absurdity of conduct arises from the imitation of those
  whom we cannot resemble." -- Samuel Johnson

Re: svn and dates

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/07, Kean Johnston <ke...@armory.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I saw something about this go by a few weeks back but at the time I didn't
> care and deleted the thread, but I have a quick question about how file
> dates / timestamps are treated in SVN. Is is possible to have svn treat
> a date change to a file as a substantive change (i.e. update the actual
> repository if just the date has changed on a file, where the contents
> are the same)? I would like to check in untarred source archives that
> have configure and configure.in thingies, and where things like automake
> or autoconf will be run, which will result in many Makefile.in's remaining
> the same except that their timestamps change. I dont want the autotools
> to be required on all build systems, so I want developers to be able to
> extract a tree and build, which wont be possible if the timestamp changes
> are not recorded.

Something like the proposal in:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-09/0492.shtml ?

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn and dates

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Kean Johnston wrote:

> >I don't think that this is currently possible -- versioned resource
> >contents (e.g. file contents) is the "is changed" marker.
>
> Although a property change would also be an "is changed" marker though,
> yes? Like the one pointed out to me in the mtime proposal by Erik
> Huelsmann. Seems the client could easily detect an mtime change and
> automatically update a suitable property that is then used to touch
> the file to that date on update (which is what Erik was proposing in
> a nutshell unless I read his proposal wrong).

Sure!  I meant in terms of the type of native file system "primitive"
data.

Re: svn and dates

Posted by Kean Johnston <ke...@armory.com>.

Re: svn and dates

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Kean Johnston wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I saw something about this go by a few weeks back but at the time I didn't
> care and deleted the thread, but I have a quick question about how file
> dates / timestamps are treated in SVN. Is is possible to have svn treat
> a date change to a file as a substantive change (i.e. update the actual
> repository if just the date has changed on a file, where the contents
> are the same)? I would like to check in untarred source archives that
> have configure and configure.in thingies, and where things like automake
> or autoconf will be run, which will result in many Makefile.in's remaining
> the same except that their timestamps change. I dont want the autotools
> to be required on all build systems, so I want developers to be able to
> extract a tree and build, which wont be possible if the timestamp changes
> are not recorded.

I don't think that this is currently possible -- versioned resource
contents (e.g. file contents) is the "is changed" marker.

- Dan

p.s. Go Slugs!

Re: svn and dates

Posted by "Ph. Marek" <ph...@bmlv.gv.at>.
On Wednesday 14 February 2007 22:34, Kean Johnston wrote:
> I saw something about this go by a few weeks back but at the time I didn't
> care and deleted the thread, but I have a quick question about how file
> dates / timestamps are treated in SVN. Is is possible to have svn treat
> a date change to a file as a substantive change (i.e. update the actual
> repository if just the date has changed on a file, where the contents
> are the same)? I would like to check in untarred source archives that
> have configure and configure.in thingies, and where things like automake
> or autoconf will be run, which will result in many Makefile.in's remaining
> the same except that their timestamps change. I dont want the autotools
> to be required on all build systems, so I want developers to be able to
> extract a tree and build, which wont be possible if the timestamp changes
> are not recorded.
If you don't care too much about "source version control", but need "version
control" of files and meta-data, you could take a look at FSVS
(fsvs.tigris.org).

It's a system versioning tool with a subversion backend. It records the mtime,
user, group, unix-mode, understands symlinks and devices, and doesn't use
a .svn-directory (so doesn't duplicate the data).

Maybe that suits your needs.

Regards,

Phil