Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com> on 2006/02/09 21:15:12 UTC

Checking out a specific revision

Hi

In my current working folder which contains all the head revisions, I'm
trying to look at an old file and diff it with head.  I don't wish to roll
back the changes yet and know how to do that.  What I would like to do is to
retrieve a specific revision into my working folder first.  I already
renamed the current head revision to .old. Then I like to visually diff
them. Why this round about way? Cuz exectuing the following command is not
visually pleasing nor do I understand it:

C:\>svn diff -r 24097 build.xml  ==> this works but the output is so messy
looking; all those +'s, -'s and @@ signs...  I'd rather windiff it or look
at them in some visual editor

C:\>svn co -r 24097 build.xml  ==> this doesn't work, why? It'll spew the
checkout help screen at me.

Thanks

Re: Checking out a specific revision

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 2/9/06, Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In my current working folder which contains all the head revisions, I'm
> trying to look at an old file and diff it with head.  I don't wish to roll
> back the changes yet and know how to do that.  What I would like to do is to
> retrieve a specific revision into my working folder first.  I already
> renamed the current head revision to .old. Then I like to visually diff
> them. Why this round about way? Cuz exectuing the following command is not
> visually pleasing nor do I understand it:
>
> C:\>svn diff -r 24097 build.xml  ==> this works but the output is so messy
> looking; all those +'s, -'s and @@ signs...  I'd rather windiff it or look
> at them in some visual editor

Since you're on Windows, why not use TortoiseSVN, whose built-in diff
program will let you view diffs on any 2 revisions?

The output of svn diff is pretty easy to understand if you know what
to look for - lines prefixed with + are added, those prefixed with -
were removed, the lines with @@ at either end indicate the beginning
of the next diff "chunk"

> C:\>svn co -r 24097 build.xml  ==> this doesn't work, why? It'll spew the
> checkout help screen at me.

You can't check out a single file, and you need to specify a full URL.

This may work:
svn co url://repos_full_url .\HEAD
svn co url://repos_full_url@24097 .\24907

Then difference the HEAD and 24907 directories

Re: Checking out a specific revision

Posted by Fred Hewett <fh...@gmail.com>.
On 2/9/06, Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> C:\>svn diff -r 24097 build.xml  ==> this works but the output is so messy
> looking; all those +'s, -'s and @@ signs...  I'd rather windiff it or look
> at them in some visual editor

Some people at my office also like windiff.  They use a little batch
file as the diff program.  E.g., create a one-line file named
windiff.bat:

windiff.exe "%6" "%7"

Then,

svn diff -r 24097 --diff-cmd windiff.bat

RE: Checking out a specific revision

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@mobsol.be>.
Besides installing TortoiseSVN, the best option you have is to start your
external Diff viewer from the 'svn diff' command, like this:

svn diff -r 24097 --diff-cmd "C:\Program Files\KDiff3\kdiff3.exe" build.xml

Lieven.