Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/11 07:35:54 UTC

[DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Hello All,

GSOC 2016 is coming :)
In case we would like to benefit from it we need to record GSOC ideas for
our project

I would like to propose to discuss current list [1] and any additional
ideas in this thread
Looking forward for you comments :)

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-554?filter=12334770&jql=project%20%3D%20OPENMEETINGS%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc2016

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Aw: Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by BBS Technik <do...@gmx.de>.
Hi Maxim,

OpenMeetings is a realy great tool and I use it every day. :-))

But there are still the key features for a videoconferencing tool waiting for improvement.

1. The need to improve the screen sharing function and performance (better compression algorithms for larger screen clippings, transmission of a particular application window, significant reduction of bandwidth, stability, ...).
2. The implementation of adaptiv consumtion of bandwith for the videostreaming depending on the total bandwith.
3. Flashfree conference rooms.
4. Mobil client with whiteboard function.
I know, this points are realy hard to improve but improvements are needed.

But there could also be smaller improvements in a
consistent and modern, flexible and more attractive gui
or
to bring the clipboard content of the os to the whiteboard of om (so you can substitute the screen sharing in some usecases).
Cobrowsing could also help to have a better overall impression.

On the administrative side for more acceptance we need
an consistent and automated install process from scratch
and
an one command or one-click update process.

I think, we have enough  possibilities to have more than one GSoC project.

Best regards

Ed

Gesendet: Samstag, 27. Februar 2016 um 13:06 Uhr
Von: "Maxim Solodovnik" <so...@gmail.com>
An: dev <de...@openmeetings.apache.org>, "Openmeetings user-list" <us...@openmeetings.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Am I right thinking no activity on the topic means, there are no areas of improvement in OpenMeetings?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-554?filter=12334770&jql=project%20%3D%20OPENMEETINGS%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc2016[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-554?filter=12334770&jql=project%20%3D%20OPENMEETINGS%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc2016]
 --
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your answers!
I'll try to sum everything up here:

@Dmitriy
I believe you are talking about audio/video decentralization, OM DB will be
stored on central server so everything can be configured in one place, as
well as authentication need to be performed on the server.
Could you please create JIRA issue and describe your idea more detailed?

@Ed
1. *The need to improve the screen sharing function and performance *
We do have https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-112, not much
interest from students since 2012 :(((, right now we have 1 students
response, will see ...
2. *The implementation of adaptiv consumtion of bandwith for the
videostreaming depending on the total bandwith. *
could you please provide more details on this? currently user select
his/her video resolution and can save bandwidth decreasing video size,
moderator can deny video to users to save bandwidth
What else can be done here to improve the situation?
3. *Flashfree conference rooms.*
We do have https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-895,
unfortunately work on the issue is stalled :(, we are working on improving
red5 so it can support WebRTC, then work on this issue can be resumed
4. *Mobil client with whiteboard function.*
We do have commercial Mobile client:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.org.apache.openmeetings.OmMobile
WB can be implemented for this client, but unfortunately we don't have
enough sales to be able to continue this development :(
5. *consistent and modern, flexible and more attractive gui*
we do have https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-1142. The
main idea was this issue will be resolved automatically as soon as we will
move room to HTML5, but this process seems to be too slow :((
6. *to bring the clipboard content of the os to the whiteboard of om (so
you can substitute the screen sharing in some usecases).*
Currently text OS clipboard is available in OM, but I guess you are talking
about graphical clipboard, this might be interesting idea, could you please
file JIRA issue regarding it?
7. *Cobrowsing could also help to have a better overall impression.*
What do you mean by this? is it some sort of screen-sharing?

On the administrative side for more acceptance we need
8. *an consistent and automated install process from scratch*
Actually right now installer is much better than in previous versions,
could you create JIRA issue/issues on what else need to be improved?
9. *an one command or one-click update process.*
Right now it is approximately 3 commands:
./admin.sh -b -file current_om.zip
tar -xzf apache-openmeetings-3.1.0.tar.gz    //here you need to create
separate folder and maybe copy jar file with DB driver
./admin.sh -i -file current_om.zip

but i believe it is simple enough, I perform updates on demo server and
local machines with no issues
If you have idea on how this can be further simplified please share it :)

@Bhushan

   1. *We should get rid of Applet to record the screen. Installing
   required plugins for this on client machines is cubersome.*

Actually the only alternative I see is installing plugin to the browser,
which is not very good idea :(
While we are using Flash we can use flash to create images of the WB, but
I'm not sure performance will be good enough :(
Maybe you have any idea on how this can be implemented, please share it :)

   1. Maximum capacity of conference room 40-50, which is very less. So, I
   think there is scope for improvement in clustering functionality.

We do have clustering support and are working on improving room capacity,
unfortunately we have not enough testers to check our enhancements in this
area :(

   1. If participants in conference room are using only whiteboard and
   audio then there should be auto recording functionality while creating a
   room. In our case, it happens very often that teacher(moderator) forgot to
   record the session.

Actually autorecording might be implemented without any applet in interview
room (you need no applet to record in interview room), but it is impossible
to record WB without external application :(((

@Jeff
I'm also using WebEx here, but unfortunately it's screensharing does not
work on Linux machines :( We might take a look at it while we will simplify
the room, thanks for the hint!

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by Jeff Clay <Je...@cyient.com>.
I think OM should look at Cisco WebEx and strive to achieve the same features and functionalities. I have tried a lot of commercial and open source video conferencing and collaboration sites, WebEx seems to be the leading standard. From my experience, I would rate web conferencing systems as:

1) Cisco WebEx
2) Adobe Connect
3) AT&T Connect
4) Open Meetings
5) Big Blue Button

On Feb 28, 2016, at 9:14 AM, Bhushan Patil <th...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi Maxim, I think following are the area of improvements

  1.  We should get rid of Applet to record the screen. Installing required plugins for this on client machines is cubersome.
  2.  Maximum capacity of conference room 40-50, which is very less. So, I think there is scope for improvement in clustering functionality.
  3.  If participants in conference room are using only whiteboard and audio then there should be auto recording functionality while creating a room. In our case, it happens very often that teacher(moderator) forgot to record the session.

[...]

________________________________

DISCLAIMER:

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Check all attachments for viruses before opening them. All views or opinions presented in this e-mail are those of the author and may not reflect the opinion of Cyient or those of our affiliates.

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by Bhushan Patil <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy - <di...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I downloaded previous version on the site yesterday, but we have
enough time to make some changes.
I updated the proposal: https://dropmefiles.com/MUggI

Dmitry Bezheckov.

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitriy,

--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by se...@gmail.com.

Posted by Dmitriy - <di...@gmail.com>.

seba.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Dmitriy: Also one more note: Your timeline is a bit off.
> Your timeline end by end of July. But that is only the mid-term
> evaluation. Not finish of the project.
> However the program ends end of August. You are expected to still work and
> clean up your code till 23/08. I would then have time till 29th till
> evaluate, which basically also still means back and forth between you and
> me to understand some details.
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
>
> End of the time line should be end of August.
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian

>> @Dmitriy: Please keep the deadline for submitting your proposal in mind.
>> Also I will need to accept your proposal via the GSoc website in time. So
>> please let me know once your done.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sebastian

>>> Hello Paul,
>>>
>>> I'm forwarding you Dmitriy's question :))
>>>
>>> "Could you please describe how red5 used ice4j and how server shares
>>> video
>>> between clients?"
>>>
>>> I believe with your help we can add WebRTC to both red5 and OpenMeetings
>>> :)

>>> video

>>> solomax666@gmail.com>

>>> in our

>>> --
>>> WBR
>>> Maxim aka solomax
>>>

>> --
>> Sebastian Wagner
>> https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock
>> seba.wagner@gmail.com
>>

> --
> Sebastian Wagner
> https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock
> seba.wagner@gmail.com

Dmitry Bezheckov.

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by Mondain <mo...@gmail.com>.
I'll try to answer in-line as best as possible.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 5:29 AM Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> I'm forwarding you Dmitriy's question :))
>
> "Could you please describe how red5 used ice4j and how server shares
> video between clients?"
>
> A facade is created to represent a webrtc publisher or subscriber on the
server, they are either sendonly or readonly via their sdp. Ice4j is used
in trickle mode to determine ip addresses and ports; all of that is
coordinated on the server and communicated via websocket. Any transcoding
or rtp/rtcp is handled via libjitsi.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Paul,

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by Dmitriy - <di...@gmail.com>.
Hello Paul,

Could you please describe how red5 used ice4j and how server shares video
between clients?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 7:13 AM, Mondain <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I'm interested.
>
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 4:35 AM Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Paul,
> >
> > we currently discussing GSOC2016 ideas, and WebRTC stuff is still in our
> > list, are you interested in participating in discussion?
> > currently there are 2 threads: [1] and [2]
> > I believe you might ne interested in [1] :)
> >
> > [1] http://markmail.org/thread/uw2y727szu3gchdk
> > [2] http://openmeetings.markmail.org/thread/tb2mtzeizfmtvcpa
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Dmitriy - <di...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, it's great idea to add Paul.
> >>

> > --
> > WBR
> > Maxim aka solomax

Dmitry Bezheckov.

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by Mondain <mo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I'm interested.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Paul,

Posted by Dmitriy - <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
high level description is OK with me
we can add Paul to the discussion, WDYT?

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by Dmitry Bezheckov <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastian,

Re: Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitry,

--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Fwd: Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by Dmitry Bezheckov <di...@gmail.com>.

    --
    WBR
    Maxim aka solomax

Dmitry Bezheckov.

Re: [DISCUSSION] GSOC 2016 ideas

Posted by Dmitriy - <di...@gmail.com>.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am I right thinking no activity on the topic means, there are no areas of
> improvement in OpenMeetings?
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > GSOC 2016 is coming :)
> > In case we would like to benefit from it we need to record GSOC ideas for
> > our project
> >
> > I would like to propose to discuss current list [1] and any additional
> > ideas in this thread
> > Looking forward for you comments :)
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-554?filter=12334770&jql=project%20%3D%20OPENMEETINGS%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc2016