Posted to dev@wink.apache.org by "Snitkovsky, Martin" <ma...@hp.com> on 2009/07/28 08:17:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] Use Nexus for Wink staging/release?

Hi,
Currently we use Nexus repository for Wink snapshots.
I see that some Apache projects are already using Nexus for their staging/release processes, so I was wondering if we should take this direction as well.
I am not familiar with the process at all, so I was wondering if someone has any expirience is this area.

Some pros/cons from Daniel Kulp thread about using Nexus for CXF release: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cxf-dev/200907.mbox/%3C200907011047.38876.dkulp@apache.org%3E
Daniel, what is your insight?

Any thoughts ?

Martin.

Re: [DISCUSS] Use Nexus for Wink staging/release?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tue July 28 2009 2:17:43 am Snitkovsky, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
> Currently we use Nexus repository for Wink snapshots.
> I see that some Apache projects are already using Nexus for their
> staging/release processes, so I was wondering if we should take this
> direction as well. I am not familiar with the process at all, so I was
> wondering if someone has any expirience is this area.
>
> Some pros/cons from Daniel Kulp thread about using Nexus for CXF release:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cxf-dev/200907.mbox/%3C20090701104
>7.38876.dkulp@apache.org%3E Daniel, what is your insight?

Many of the "negatives" really don't apply to you.   They got a real https
cert, so that isn't an issue.   Brian is going a "decent" job of user
management, but once the LDAP project really gets working, they'll probably
switch it over to LDAP and be done with it.   The snapshot location doesn't
really apply to you as you haven't had users using them much yet (CXF had
three years worth of users possibly using snapshots from the old location).
And (4) and (5) really don't apply too much either since Wink hasn't done a
release yet anyway.  You have a clean slate.   Thus, no negatives for you.
:-)

Seriously, I'm not completely sure of impacts yet as I haven't done a release
with Nexus yet.   I'll be doing 3 releases later this week though so by this
time next week, I'll either be saying it worked great or bitching about how
bad it was.   :-)

It SEEMS to be working pretty good  for the Maven team PROVIDING the release
managers remember to go close their staging area.    That seems to be the big
thing they keep forgetting.   Many are used to typing up the "vote" email
while the staging is occurring and with Nexus, you cannot really finish that
as the URL for the staging area isn't done until you close it.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org