Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/11 02:06:08 UTC

Random Version Question Time

All,

Here's a random question.  What version Java is required to run James?
And where is this information documented on the web site?

I can't seem to find that information.  My personal guess would be that
Java 1.3 or greater is required.  As this affects both users (since they
must have the JVM installed) and developers (who must constrain
themselves to use classes that are available in the appropriate Java
version) I'd like this detail to be someplace very obvious.  Is there a
consensus on this?

--Peter

RE: Random Version Question Time

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
2.0a3 will compile with 1.3 & 1.4, not with 1.2.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Random Version Question Time

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
Danny, can you clarify this?

Posted by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be>.
For what it's worth, Apple's MacOS X server comes with JDK1.3 and is not
yet ready for 1.4...

Sun's JDK1.4 may be ready but what about its port to all the platforms
that Sun does not support directly?  I would suggest waiting before
rushing to 1.4...

Danny Angus wrote:

>>For my money, changing the JDK requirement for James needs a vote.
>>
>>At the same time, I'm happy to make 1.4  the requirement, if , say
>>someone wants too use the Assertion Facility, NIO or
>>java.util.regex.* etc.
>>

>I agree, at the moment the HEAD compiles (and runs?) under 1.3+
>Unless there is a *strong* case for changing this I'd be against it until
>1.4 has been around as the stable version for a little longer.
>
>d.
>

>--

!try; do()
--
Vincent Keunen, Ir, http://vincent.keunen.net
Manex, rue Wagner 93, BE-4100 Boncelles, Belgium

RE: Random Version Question Time

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Unless there is a *strong* case for changing this I'd be against it until
> 1.4 has been around as the stable version for a little longer.

Why would we want to restrict which release of Java we run on without a
strong case?  [rhetorical question]

> > e.g. what is compelling?
> Ah now we're getting to the bones of the discussion :-)

Actually, I don't know that we're even having the discussion, are we?  There
was a question about what IS the policy, but I haven't seen a proposal for
JDK 1.4, yet.  The one place I might have used it, I just put a comment into
the source so that whomever is maintaining at that time could see what I was
thinking.

	--- Noel

RE: Random Version Question Time

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>For my money, changing the JDK requirement for James needs a vote.
>

> If that hasn't ever actually been the policy, it should be the policy.
>

>>Assertion Facility, NIO or java.util.regex.* etc.
>

> Well, since we already have regex from the oro classes, I wouldn't press to
> use java.util.regex just yet.  But I might have liked to use
> NetworkInterface to discover the local IP addresses.
>
> So far, though, I'm not see a *compelling* reason to force a JDK 1.4
> requirement.  What would be your standard for casting a vote?  Compelling
> reason, or just a benefit?

A single compelling reason or a set of benefits that collectively are
compelling.
Of course, the point of a vote is to ensure the issues are discussed,
e.g. what is compelling?

Charles

RE: Random Version Question Time

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Danny et al,

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
That is a very good question.  And the new version of Phoenix coming shortly
supports JMX.  At what point can we take advantage of JDK 1.4?

	--- Noel