Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com> on 2001/06/06 01:24:28 UTC

Dreid CVS commits break Windows build

Some CVS activity by Dreid last night and this morning in srclib/apr
have broken the ability to build on Windows. Did I just come in
mid-checkin?

--
Jerry Baker

some philosophy on build breakage (was: Re: Dreid CVS commits break Windows build)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 08:25:47PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> [...]

Actually, this is also an opportune time for a high-level comment on Apache
development:

    The developer guidelines state that we should ensure the code that we
    check in works on *our* platform. A given developer is not required to
    guarantee proper building on other platforms.

That said, we also show some simple respect for each other and attempt to
not break other platforms (but it still happens, nevertheless). In this
case, Cliff went and added some stuff to the .dsp files and crossed his
fingers that would be sufficient. Missing the apr_private.h bit and the
makefiles are quite understandable.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

broken includes

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net>.
Jerry Baker wrote:

> > > Includes are now broken. Don't know if it is related or just a filter
> > > problem from some other checkin.
> >
> > Broken relative to ???  They are definately more finicky about bad syntax, but
> > that's been tru for a while.
>
> They don't work at all. No output. No error log entries. No virtual
> includes, no exec cgi, no nothing.

mod_include uses subrequests, and they haven't been working for a while
on any platform I'm aware of.  Jeff Trawick just posted two patches that
look promising.  I'm still puzzled about what exactly broke them, but
whatever it is happened after 2_0_16.

Greg

Re: Dreid CVS commits break Windows build

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com>.
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> From: "Jerry Baker" <je...@weirdness.com>
> >
> > They don't work at all. No output. No error log entries. No virtual
> > includes, no exec cgi, no nothing.
>
> That's what I thought.  Then I reparsed my syntax by eye, and realized I had an
> error.  Can you create a -very simple- file with a single directive to test?
>
> It's possible this is a win32 bug, since the file may be opened for sendfile, but
> we can't read that file.  A fix is coming within the hour or so.
>
> Bill

http://jerbaker.dhs.org/test.shtml

-----TEST.SHTML SOURCE-----
-----TEST.SHTML SOURCE-----

-----APACHE.PL SOURCE-----
#!C:\perl\bin\perl.exe

print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
print "Hello World!";
-----APACHE.PL SOURCE-----

--
Jerry Baker

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well." - Joe
Ancis

PGP Key:
http://keyserver.pgp.com:80/pks/lookup?op=get&exact=off&search=0xD4B2493F
LAME Binaries: http://jerbaker.dhs.org/lame

> > > It builds on Win32 now from inside MSDEV, but not from the command line
> > > with nmake.
> >
> > Jerry, that's par for course.  We decided on a basic rule some time ago that we
> > would only spend the time to refresh the make files once in a blue moon (before
> > we cut tarballs), and at one time we had pulled them out altogether.
> >
> > If you are working from cvs, you must kick up msdev, and use it to build the
> > InstallBin project from the command line, or more simply just export the make
> > files.
>
> Ya. That's kinda annoying because it prevents automated build processes
> on Win32.

Not if you run VC6.0 or better ... the command line build:

  msdev.exe Apache.dsw /MAKE "InstallBin - Win32 Release" /USEENV

should solve your headaches :-)  If you are only trying to test compile on an
automated basis, skip installbin and list multiple targets, eg.

  msdev.exe Apache.dsw /USEENV /MAKE "libhttpd - Win32 Release" \
          "libhttpd - Win32 Release" "mod_foo - Win32 Release" ...

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com>.

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Jerry Baker wrote:

> It builds on Win32 now from inside MSDEV, but not from the command line
> with nmake.

Uhhmm,, well, that's progress I guess.  I'll have to throw up my hands and
claim ignorance of these things.  Somebody who knows how to make MS's
compilers behave, please help me out.

> Includes are now broken. Don't know if it is related or just a filter
> problem from some other checkin.

That's probably a different matter, namely the file/mmap buckets in
subrequests problem that's being discussed in another thread.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: Dreid CVS commits break Windows build

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com>.

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.