Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Kyle Lomeli <ky...@deitel.net> on 2002/05/08 19:11:52 UTC

Malformed Axis Response?

I had posted a question earlier with regards to problems I have been having
when trying to make my JAX-RPC (JWSDP RI) client talk to an Axis-deployed
Web service. I have narrowed down the problem to a missing
SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/". I don't
know if Axis or JAX-RPC RI is to blame for this problem, but I would
appreciate any suggestions.

I have included the response generated by the Axis-deployed Web service at
the end of this message.

Re: Malformed Axis Response?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by Kyle Lomeli <ky...@deitel.net>.
Well... honestly, the only thing I am trying to do is get my JAX-RPC RI
client to invoke an Axis-deployed Web service. If by "reference a value from
multiple locations" you mean referencing a value multiple times within the
same SOAP message, I would have to say that this is the mentioned SOAP
response is the response that Axis decided to send to my client. I know that
the response for the same Web service deployed on CapeConnect doesn't bother
using multiRef element. I don't know exactly why Axis decides to do it this
way either. Any insight would be great.

Most importantly though... back to my original question... anyone know if
JAX-RPC RI is at fault, or is it Axis?

 Kyle Lomeli
 Software Developer
 Deitel & Associates, Inc.
 www.deitel.com

 Register now for the DEITEL BUZZ e-mail newsletter at
 http://www.deitel.net/newsletter/subscribe.html

Posted by Lyndon Durham <ne...@verizon.net>.
Kyle,

RE: Malformed Axis Response?

Posted by Kyle Lomeli <ky...@deitel.net>.
Lyndon,
   I guess I should have mentioned this before, sorry, my fault. I know of
the tcpTunneling tool. It's a life-saver. I can't even begin to imagine how
hard it would be to write SOAP applications without the aid of such a useful
tool. This again goes to show how keen the Axis team is in helping us
developers out there. :)

I suppose I was not clear enough with my original post. I apologize. The
problem that I am encountering does not have to do with the SOAP header. The
problem that I am hoping to resolve has to do with the encodingStyle
attribute and the scope of that attribute.

Re: Malformed Axis Response?

Posted by Lyndon Durham <ne...@verizon.net>.
I suggested using the tool to see if the incorrect header only resulted
from a JAX-RPC client call to an axis based web service. The tool can be
used to observer the SOAP Messages sent as requests and responses. If
the malformed header only occurs when duiring use of JAX-RPC reference
implemtation call then it appears that there maybe some interoperability
problems.

RE: RE: Malformed Axis Response?

Posted by Kyle Lomeli <ky...@deitel.net>.
Thank you for your suggestions, Lyndon. These are my comments and
clarifications.

>Try using the TCPMon tool that comes with Axis to ascertain if it's the
>JAX-RPC RI or Axis. I would suggest writting your client program using
>Axis to access your web service.

Actually I have tried running an Axis client. The Axis client does
successfully communicate with the Axis server.

I don't see how this implies whether JAX-RPC RI or Axis has the correct
interpretation of the SOAP specs. If the Axis client can successfully
communicate with the Axis server, then this implies that the Axis client
support classes were also designed with the same enterpretation of the SOAP
specs that guided the development of the Axis server-side support classes.

>Use the TCPMon tool to observe both
>client calls in Axis and JAX-RPC to see which one does'nt conform to the
>SOAP 1.1 specification.

The problem I am having results from the response that the Axis server
generates. Is
Axis not properly formatting the response, or is the JAX-RPC RI incorrectly
interpreting what a response should be?

Re: Malformed Axis Response?