Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Murray <ry...@elementn.com> on 2007/03/06 12:35:49 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd mod_proxy_balancer sessionid detection and Java Servlet Spec JSESSIONID requirements

Dear all (and especially to the Apache mod_proxy_balancer and mod_jk
committers)-

Like many, I am using Apache as a load balancing reverse proxy for a Tomcat
cluster using sticky session and routes.  Sticky sessions must be enabled
using the case-sensitive session parameter (ie either JSESSIONID or
jsessionid) which leads the balancing failure for either Cookie or URL based
session persistence.

Having reviewed the mod_jk (common/jk_lb_worker.c) and mod_proxy_balancer.c
source code, I see that while mod_jk "knows" about JSESSIONID capitalization
rules in Cookies and url path params while mod_proxy_balancer does not and
therefore cannot be configured to route traffic for both Cookie based
session persistence and URL based session persistence in “simple” way.

I have seen in the lists that some users have hacked the
mod_proxy_balancer.c source  to account for the case issue.  I can also
imagine using mod_rewrite to manipulate the parameters or using multiple 2
balancer configurations, each with its own case version of JESESSIONID.

I would prefer not to have to do either of these “hacks”, particularly not
change the source as it will make upgrades more error prone. Is there an
“official” technique about how to properly handle JSESSIOND when using
mod_proxy balancer and Tomcat?  Is there expected to be an httpd release in
the future that will handles this automagically?

Also, could any of the committers comment on the relationship (if any)
between mod_jk and the mod_proxy_balancer AJP support? In particular, are
these projects ever going to be merged or will they remain separate?  There
are many mod_jk "features" (controlled by the Jk* directives) which I don't
see documented in the mod_proxy_ajp install and configuration docs.

Best regards,

Ryan Murray

element^n
berytech technology centre
mkalles-beirut, lebanon
+961 4 533 040   ext. 3030 (office)
+961 3 767 083   (lebanon mobile)
+973 3603 9118  (bahrain mobile)

www.elementn.com

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient(s) please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies
of the original message and any attachments.