Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr> on 2015/11/09 22:40:20 UTC

[Proposition] deactivate by default all specialpurpose component

Hello,

With some latest great discussion about keep or not keep specialpurpose
components on branch, I some inconvenience come from that a
specialpurpose can be overload the definition (service, entity or
something like that) present on application component.

It's easier, we can comment all lines present on
specialpurpose/component-load.xml and if some people want use a specific
component, just uncomment it :)

I see two advantages :
  * detect bad depends easily (a application or framework that use
specialpurpose)
  * detect if a component it on the good place

Your comments ?

Nicolas

Re: [Proposition] deactivate by default all specialpurpose component

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Niche specific demos of OFBiz can be facilitated with more niche specific
demo data. Associating documentation will help in building the desired
expectations.

For now I don't believe this project will ever be able to showcase every
niche specific demo. But it will be able to showcase a few generics. And it
should, as it will drive adoption. Leave it up to the contributors working
for implementation/integration parties to assist in niche demos.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*OFBiz Extensions Marketplace*
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
My opinion is we should do so for concerned component but not all others blindly. For instance the POS it out of scope and so are many others.
So we should better name those which are concerned, current or future...

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Sorry Nicolas, I'm not sure I totally get your points :)

Could you elaborate please?

Thanks

Jacques

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Jacques I understand.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
The old joke:

Why is it more important for women to be beautiful than smart?
Because men see better than they think!

If you need any help, let me know.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: [Proposition] deactivate by default all specialpurpose component

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by sl...@gmail.com.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Taher,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 14/12/2015 4:40 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> It's interesting, and I agree with you we must organise the project
> and ourselves "more". But it's too early for me at the moment :/
> Sorry but I prefer to keep focused on simple tasks (baby steps) for
> now, this one is about specialpurpose components :)
It is a start and is raising the discussion about structure even if it
is not as sweeping as I would like.
The discussion itself is valuable in bringing some hidden agendas and
undocumented usage and dreams to the fore.

> Note that another baby step we have already decided on is to group the
> applications data model in one component.
> This should hopefully clarify things at the applications level. I
> think most dependencies are due to the data model, but I'm not quite
> sure about that.
Anything that decouples the various parts is a good step and even if
some problems are found that can not be solved immediately at least they
will have been identified.

> Jacques
> PS: BTW I just found this article interesting
> http://breakingsmart.com/season-1/rough-consensus-and-maximal-interestingness
> . Seems that there are a bunch of others as interesting there.

It would be much easier to follow some of the idea expressed here about
agility, freedom and rough consensus if the risks were minimized by
limiting the scope of the impact of the decisions.

Ron

> [...]
>>
>> To get to the next level of product maturity, we need to find a way
>> to break the product into manageable pieces with well defined rules
>> about how it gets extended and how "new" features get integrated.
>> The framework should be the first to get untangled since that is
>> supposed to be a separate product.
>> This is in progress but it not yet clear what the relationship will
>> be between the new framework and the old one or even OFBiz.
>>
>> At some point, the leaders of this project are going to have to
>> decide what is the core ERP application. This means separating:
>> - core functionality
>> - core seed data
>> - seed Data for particular industries or
>> - demos
>> - optional application modules
>>
>> Then there needs to be rules about how new things get added.
>>
>> Breaking up the people who can commit to each area will add a bit of
>> discipline to the process.
>> At the moment any committer can change every level of the structure
>> to accomplish their goals.
>> This is very efficient for the person wanting to add something but
>> creates havoc for the project as a whole.
>>
>> Getting to a point where releases of individual components can be
>> made without having to release everything at once will have a lot of
>> benefits and make it easier to maintain an OFBiz installation.
>> If you can upgrade the framework without updating the ERP, framework
>> improvements can be made more rapidly.
>> If the core ERP can be upgraded without having to worry about every
>> "special purpose" component ever created, it will get a lot easier to
>> get releases out.
>>
>> This means that there will have to be rules and real APIs that you
>> can not violate.
>>
>> It will also mean that people wanting to change things that require
>> changes to multiple levels will have to actually discuss their
>> proposal and convince the framework team or ERP team to add the
>> required functionality and test it to make sure that it does not
>> break the API.
>>
>> This will also increase the potential for community involvement.
>> Currently, it is too risky to add committers who only want to work on
>> one module or even a demo since there is no way to stop them breaking
>> lots of things accidentally.
>>
>> Ron

>>> OK, I had an idea. Why not commenting out the specialpurpose
>>> components by default, but uncomment those which have proved to "not
>>> be a problem"?
>>>
>>> "Not be a problem" means here which are not overriding applications
>>> component. So we could create a "Comment out specialpurpose
>>> components by default" Jira
>>> with possible subtasks for litigious cases (when we find an issue
>>> after uncommenting out)
>>>
>>> I suggest though that we don't do that on trunk (which would still
>>> contains all components active) but on the next frozen release. We
>>> could even do it on R14.12 if we have a consensus.

>>> exampleext
>>> pos
>>> ecommerce(? if not OK then we create the main Jira and a subtask for

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Ron,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 05/12/2015 13:47, Pierre Smits a écrit :
> I suggest to fix such with separate JIRA issues for each.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> *OFBiz Extensions Marketplace*
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Le 19/11/2015 11:45, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>
>>> Could we list, apart the well known Birt issue, special components which
>>> are overriding main applications?
>>>
>> Directly by memory, the scrum components has defined new seca on cust
>> request to send email that break the standard customer request system
>>
>> An other where I failed,  used service findProductsById instead of
>> findProductById, the first from hhfacilty and the second from catalog. And
>> want you start your hot-deploy component without specialpurpose ... paff !
>> :)

Thanks for these points Nicolas, I agree with Pierre suggestion.

For instance does really the hhfacilty findProductById service needs to be named the same than in product? Etc.

>> The problem will appear in the future for sure if we load new components,
>> it's impossible to test all process in OFBiz to ensure no regression.

I agree, the power of overriding comes with its drawbacks...

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Do you mean that we are going create ant tasks for every special purpose?

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
The r13.07 branch and its releases are painful to everybody (and more
importantly our new adopters) as they don't find in the releases what is
advertised elsewhere in projects web and wiki pages. This has been shown in
various threads in the user ml. And this keeps going on as long as we keep
r13.07 as the basis of 'latest stable release'.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Le 10/11/2015 23:26, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> I made another proposition earlier but not too long ago
> http://markmail.org/message/ypmrbqkb7y2gh4f5
>
> But it seems nobody was interested :/ (OK, the thread referenced in
> the reference above is really long to read :D, but the message is not)
>
> I wonder why. It seems ideal to me: we don't release code we don't
> want in releases, but we can still propose it to our users in a
> reliable way and it's maintained.
> With Nicolas's proposition I fear the maintenance part could be
> overlooked as Taher mentionned.
Yes I agree also with Taher, but what's the better way with own resources :
  * Have a strong quality on application
  * Have a working application with specialpurpose rules.

With my feed back, all site project works with application, I use
sometime a specialpurpose component but rarely.
So the fear is also on true on the other ways.

So now I deactivate all specialpurpose before starting a new project to
ensure that I have only standard process.

> On the other hand I'd not be against moving more components to Attic
> if they deserve it...
> Contrary to POS or projectmgr, I don't remember users asking for
> google and ebay components missing in R13...
> Also what about Oagis, who really care (there are some entries in wiki
> but old and not maintained)?
>
> I don't remember if I made this proposition already: rather than
> moving those components to Attic (ie remove but still have at a
> revision in repo) we could keep them in an attic sub-folder under
> specialpurpose before really removing them.
> And generally we could use sub-folders to better organise things. Like
> putting google and ebay components under ecomComplements rather than
> in an attic folder, projectmgr and scrumm could be alsogrouped ,solr
> and lucene too, example and exampleext, ldap and passport, etc.
sure, but i thinks this it out from my little proposal ;)

Nicolas

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Nicolas,