Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Fitzpatrick <li...@webtent.net> on 2007/11/01 19:49:15 UTC

SA timed out

I have the following error message in the logs, didn't even notice until
tracking down an email for a user today, but been happening in all my
logs back the last week. All three servers running mail filtering to
pgsql db have this error including the server which hosts the db. I find
no problems with filtering and BAYES scoring seems to be working and is
tagging messages fine. So, I assume this means the learning part is not
working? However, looking at bayes_var in the db, I see token, spam and
ham counts all updating from AWL I assume. Can someone offer feedback to
help determine what exactly is the issue at hand? Thanks in advance.

Nov  1 14:43:31 esmtp amavis[64574]: (64574-02) SA TIMED OUT, backtrace:
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Mail/SpamAssassin/BayesStore/PgSQL.pm line 679\n\teval {...} called at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Mail/SpamAssassin/BayesStore/PgSQL.pm line 679\n\tMail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::PgSQL::tok_touch_all('Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::PgSQL=HASH(0x9cfe9d0)', 'ARRAY(0x9626fd0)', 1193942521) called at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Mail/SpamAssassin/Bayes.pm line 1284\n\tMail::SpamAssassin::Bayes::scan('Mail::SpamAssassin::Bayes=HASH(0x9b55ed4)', 'Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus=HASH(0x9bb4d24)', 'Mail::SpamAssassin::Message=HASH(0xb59d4c4)') called at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/Bayes.pm line 50\n\tMail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Bayes::check_bayes('Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Bayes=HASH(0x9fa7f58)', 'Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus=HASH(0x9bb4d24)', 'ARRAY(0xa7f1cb8)', 0.99, 1.00) c...

--
Robert

Re: SA timed out

Posted by Robert Fitzpatrick <li...@webtent.net>.
On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 16:28 -0400, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > I have the following error message in the logs, didn't even notice until
> > tracking down an email for a user today, but been happening in all my
> > logs back the last week. All three servers running mail filtering to
> > pgsql db have this error including the server which hosts the db. I find
> > no problems with filtering and BAYES scoring seems to be working and is
> > tagging messages fine. So, I assume this means the learning part is not
> > working? However, looking at bayes_var in the db, I see token, spam and
> > ham counts all updating from AWL I assume. Can someone offer feedback to
> > help determine what exactly is the issue at hand? Thanks in advance.
>
> I don't have the time to compare the backtrace to the actual code, so
> I'll guess instead.  Disable bayes_auto_expire and see if the errors go
> away.  It's probably bayes expiries taking longer than the amavis
> timeout limit.

Thanks for the response. I did not have the setting defined in local.cf,
I added 'bayes_auto_expire 0' and it is still happening. I am using
Postfix + Maia mailguard, which is a amavisd-new 2.2 product. I made the
change and restarted amavisd.

--
Robert

Re: SA timed out

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I have the following error message in the logs, didn't even notice until
> tracking down an email for a user today, but been happening in all my
> logs back the last week. All three servers running mail filtering to
> pgsql db have this error including the server which hosts the db. I find
> no problems with filtering and BAYES scoring seems to be working and is
> tagging messages fine. So, I assume this means the learning part is not
> working? However, looking at bayes_var in the db, I see token, spam and
> ham counts all updating from AWL I assume. Can someone offer feedback to
> help determine what exactly is the issue at hand? Thanks in advance.

I don't have the time to compare the backtrace to the actual code, so
I'll guess instead.  Disable bayes_auto_expire and see if the errors go
away.  It's probably bayes expiries taking longer than the amavis
timeout limit.

Daryl