Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com> on 2002/02/08 03:28:06 UTC

[OT] howdy and congratulations

hey guys, long time no see. congratulations on getting a production c2
release out the door. i'm impressed with its quality and speed, and sorry
i've not been able to participate for a while now. my day job got
refocused away from doing web sites and onto doing webapps a while back,
and while we were initially interested in using c2 as the infrastructure
for our webapps, it wasn't really appropriate for what we were doing. so a
short absence got drawn out into a much longer one; i should have big
adieu at some point but never got around to it :(

anyway, we recently picked up a consulting gig for some folks wanting to
use c2 to build a web site, so i get to play with you guys again. hooray!
i've been skimming the lists for the past little bit here and am excited
by the new developments i see, particularly in regards to the interpreted
sitemap. using xslt to generate java code can be a useful technique, but
it's not always the best choice, mainly due to the difficulty in debugging
and the resource hungriness of javac.

and on a [RT] type note, after having to hand-code the mapping from urls
to methods and resources for our webapp and seeing what an unwieldy mess
that resulted in, i decided that there really may be a need for some
middle ground between doing it by hand and using c2 in all its glory. c2
can really be overkill as a webapp infrastructure - when the triad of
content, design, and logic is skewed towards the latter two, when there's
no need for document authors to be able to easily add resources
autonomously.

so i ended up writing a simple webapp, called urlspace right now for lack
of a better name, that could charitably be considered c2-lite. :). it
operates on a sitemap that associates urls with descriptions and
resources, where a resource can be method, xml+xslt, a method+xslt, or a
plain old file. no caching, nothing fancy - the goal is to keep it as
simple as possible so that it's easy to pick up and use, and easy for
developers to understand so that they can comfortably use it without
worrying about having to support it. one nice thing it can do is generate
what amounts to API documentation for a webapp's urlspace - an important
area of webapp development which is very often overlooked, i think. and
it's got unit tests. whee. anyway, i think it tries to support a different
niche than c2, and if anyone wants to take a look at it, lemme know.

congratulations again to all on the final release of cocoon 2.0. i've
missed you guys, and i hope to be able to be around more. look for my
naive questions on cocoon-users as i get back up to speed. :)

- donald

Re: [OT] howdy and congratulations

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Donald Ball wrote:

> hey guys, long time no see. congratulations on getting a production c2
> release out the door. i'm impressed with its quality and speed, and sorry
> i've not been able to participate for a while now. my day job got
> refocused away from doing web sites and onto doing webapps a while back,
> and while we were initially interested in using c2 as the infrastructure
> for our webapps, it wasn't really appropriate for what we were doing. so a
> short absence got drawn out into a much longer one; i should have big
> adieu at some point but never got around to it :(

Hi, Donald, glad to see you are back well :)

> anyway, we recently picked up a consulting gig for some folks wanting to
> use c2 to build a web site, so i get to play with you guys again. hooray!
> i've been skimming the lists for the past little bit here and am excited
> by the new developments i see, particularly in regards to the interpreted
> sitemap. using xslt to generate java code can be a useful technique, but
> it's not always the best choice, mainly due to the difficulty in debugging
> and the resource hungriness of javac.
>
> and on a [RT] type note, after having to hand-code the mapping from urls
> to methods and resources for our webapp and seeing what an unwieldy mess
> that resulted in, i decided that there really may be a need for some
> middle ground between doing it by hand and using c2 in all its glory. c2
> can really be overkill as a webapp infrastructure - when the triad of
> content, design, and logic is skewed towards the latter two, when there's
> no need for document authors to be able to easily add resources
> autonomously.

Yeah... setting up a reasonable webapp infrastructure is still quite
hard with Cocoon.

> so i ended up writing a simple webapp, called urlspace right now for lack
> of a better name, that could charitably be considered c2-lite. :). it
> operates on a sitemap that associates urls with descriptions and
> resources, where a resource can be method, xml+xslt, a method+xslt, or a
> plain old file. no caching, nothing fancy - the goal is to keep it as
> simple as possible so that it's easy to pick up and use, and easy for
> developers to understand so that they can comfortably use it without
> worrying about having to support it. one nice thing it can do is generate
> what amounts to API documentation for a webapp's urlspace - an important
> area of webapp development which is very often overlooked, i think. and
> it's got unit tests. whee. anyway, i think it tries to support a different
> niche than c2, and if anyone wants to take a look at it, lemme know.

Sure ..that would be great!

> congratulations again to all on the final release of cocoon 2.0. i've
> missed you guys, and i hope to be able to be around more. look for my
> naive questions on cocoon-users as i get back up to speed. :)

Bet you will;)

Good to have you on the list again.
--
Torsten

Re: [OT] howdy and congratulations

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Donald Ball wrote:

> hey guys, long time no see. congratulations on getting a production c2
> release out the door. i'm impressed with its quality and speed, and sorry
> i've not been able to participate for a while now. my day job got
> refocused away from doing web sites and onto doing webapps a while back,
> and while we were initially interested in using c2 as the infrastructure
> for our webapps, it wasn't really appropriate for what we were doing. so a
> short absence got drawn out into a much longer one; i should have big
> adieu at some point but never got around to it :(

Hey, Donald, welcome back :)

Giacomo

Re: [OT] howdy and congratulations

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.